Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby TritonFoils » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:31 pm

Some great rider “first impressions” of Triton’s T1 monofoiler Jason from the Minnesota crew that hangs with Eric "undule akinfar" Spottke the videographer and soon to be T1 convert. Thanks for the great video and keep them coming!

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:54 pm

Thank you Laurie and Yuri at Our Kite Life for your independent review of Triton's T1 monofoil.

What do you think Kiteforum users?

Are monofoils the future of foiling?

Watch Laurie's video to get the full specs on the T1, its ride characteristics and her take on the PROs and CONs of monofoiling.

You can check us out at www.tritonfoils.com.

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:52 pm

Leave it to an Italian hydrofoils to give the best "first impression" written review of the Triton T1 monofoil yet.

Brutally honest, filled with verve and alliteration, and soaked in passion for the sport we love.

Apologies in advance to all Italian speakers as the link contents and text below are courtesy of Google Translate.

https://www-foilforum-it.translate.goog ... pp#p325196

Since the foil rages on this forum - perhaps due to the fortunate quasi-homonymy between hydrofoil and foil kite - it seems right to enrich the collective knowledge by talking about the Triton T1

The Triton is a monofoil , that is a colossal pole (2100cmq I think) with delta , very low A / R, and without stabilizer.
According to the creators, it should travel "like a 1100cmq shovel". I can't really tell you, since a 1250cmq Onda travels in a completely different way from a 1200cmq Fluid L.
And T1, believe me, goes differently than anything you have brought up to date! .

Main features with minus sign
The stability, in roll and pitch, is much, much lower than that of any foil I have ever tried. Especially when pitching, you run the risk of navigating with continuous micro-dolphins, until the correct position is found. Curiously, the yaw is really stable
Notes on stability: the change of feet is “acrobatic”. Trust me… you need to hang on to the kite, and keep your feet in the "central" area of ​​balance. Otherwise you fall as from the 3rd floor. What is the "central" area of ​​balance, you say ... well, remember that it is a mono foil ... so you are in very precarious balance on a single support.
Muscle memory is therefore a problem. In jibes you succeed immediately. In the change of foot… ni (and I don't think about trying it from heel- to toeside…). But the tacks, open heaven! When you carve, this thing runs dry and is a beast, you find yourself turned, crushed to the knees, falling on your back, and with him jumping out and looking for you as the kite falls. Welcome to my personal hell !!! : D
The jump". Much more than the first very light foils with a large surface and so light, such as the Wave, when you fall out of the water as if it were devilish. The designers call it “tomahawking”… and yes, it almost does !!!
The assembly is compatible with Moses poles - both without and with their own carbon adapter - and with * old * very limp aluminum poles. Absolutely not GONG, not Kraken, and not many others. They have their own pole, but it is 85cm and made of aluminum, although it is very nice
(at least for now) it's a leg eater . Stability is paid for at the muscular level, and as soon as the readiness drops, they are blows (and blows) from orbi. Hopefully, with experience, balance becomes a closed eye thing, rather than a thing that requires attention and effort. In fact, every now and then you just relax. But often it gets messed up: it's the old muscle memory that knocks and messes everything up
Difficult to find ...

Oh well, is it a toilet then?
BUT MISSING PEL CACCHIO !!!

Positive features
The agility of the Triton is a shocking thing . If you like to carve, you are on another planet. If you think that the Onda is the ne plus ultra of playful and wave surfing, do so, give the 633 to your grandson in kindergarten and get ready for an unprecedented dynamic revolution. I'm not exaggerating: you can simply turn it how and when you want, at the speed you want, and if you can hold it, it tightens more and more and never gives you up. Going down the waves is a fantastic feeling of control-not-control with the T1 that can punch at will, go straight, or carve, all in just a few inches. You can wag your tail as if you had 1 meter skis on the Gran Risa and you had the thighs of the national Albertone, so to speak, and to do it you just have to jump and he does it alone.
The dynamics are completely different from the new pulled A / R foils. There is no stall here. And unlike the old 633 type foils, when you sink he doesn't give a shit: you give him the throttle and he pops out without hesitation even at speeds where you should have your butt in the water.
I repeat: the dynamic is really different , period. From how it comes out of the water, to how it spins, to how the water bursts , to how it flows without seemingly restraint or almost, to how it is both unstable and completely stable. It's just another planet.
And since it is a pole - even if you forget it in speed - at very low and low speed he supports you easily: that the wind is bad, that the change of foot has come to the Salvation Army, he does not care, if don't twist him too much, he keeps you up and stung. If he is straight or almost straight, you can have your ass almost in the water in a colossal hole of wind in navigation, and if you just pull the sail without stopping, it always makes you easy to get back on your feet while you are foiling. Obvious: if you twist it and your feet are not well placed ...
After you hate it the first few times (I put it away 15 days after the first 3 outings), you have to avoid trying it again. I had done 3 dream outings with the Gong, doing all the maneuvers with my eyes closed: I felt like I was foiling on the kitchen table so much I felt stable. Well, today I tried the T1 again just to justify putting it on sale, and instead I guess I don't really take it apart !!! The sensations are unique, period. And if one likes to carve ... Jesus. [/ B]
If you think that the new pulled A / R foils can pierce the water without making you fall like pears, again: reset. The T1 comes right out of the water and is flawless. With 85cm of pole, and pitch that is "alive", it happened to me to make a hole. He comes in without a crease, while the blood freezes in his veins at the thought of a catastrophic crash and the Indian ax that comes to take you in the head. Ah ... jibe is even better: you force as obsessed, he punches, you feel the "pshhhhh" of the crushed water, and he continues like a beast to turn. Damn T1.
Dici is an exaggerated pole, he has a crazy lift. With the heck. I keep the foil almost at the end of the tracks ahead. I have the Gong at the end ... but behind it! If anything, it would need bigger for heavy weights. But it is also so much fun
… And at least it will be slow, right? With the whistle! You get there at 20 knots if you have a few brains, as they say from me. The limit should be 24 knots for the designers. At 18 knots you can go there without worries. Admitted to keep pitch under control, huh! That he remains silent there, with the T1 that seems very stable. But as you get back into "My Old Foil" mode he begins to go up and down, and at almost 20 knots ...
It's not easy - precisely because you get biased, and old muscle memory stings you - but it's not difficult . At the first exit I started at the first attempt, and I closed some normal and toeside turns, and changed feet. From there to master it as the old foil passes ... but it is accessible, and if you give it a chance, it captivates you. Obviously, if you hardly make the edges, it is not yet time (even if some schools of thought say that you could almost learn about it: it is no more "difficult" than a pulled foil - so let's forget the simplified stuff on purpose like Santa Mamma GONG's X-Over - it's just different. If one learns, one learns T1 instead of normal foil behavior).
I haven't tried the ultra light Wind - I have no more sails for that - but an outing between 7 and 9 knots with the 13m Nerio was fabulous. Since he does not stall at the start and in general, slowly you go straight and as soon as you manage to accelerate a minimum, here you get up and go. I thought it would be bad in those conditions, but I had to change my mind. And remember my weight ...

Well, how is it?
It 's crazy , period.
If you like to go straight and strong, it does, but what's the point?
If you like to jump 10m they advise against it, you will crack it.
If you like to bend, maneuver, dare on the waves, and in general a "live", dynamic conduct, if you try it and it intrigues you you are at enormous risk of biting it ...

The Triton T1 is a product that fills all those with energy (myself included ) who have found the "wall" of their normal abilities (for me to change foot in turns is a nightmare, for example): there is a lot to learn, and there are brand new sensations to try, which are not obtainable by changing shovel or normal stabilo.
If you happen to try it, my advice is: don't say no .
Bye!

4-E371270-9-BCF-46-C6-900-D-51-B6-E88-CC4-BE.jpg
4-E371270-9-BCF-46-C6-900-D-51-B6-E88-CC4-BE.jpg (142.97 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
1-A897128-4535-4-C5-A-9-C79-D8-CAF3477126.jpg

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Aug 11, 2022 4:40 pm

Loving the innovation Ian Lauder!

Triton T1 monowing attached to a Lift e-foil courtesy of an adapter built by the incomparable Stringy.

Really looking forward to seeing where you guys can take this!

Rudy @ Triton Foils
www.tritonfoils.com

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:37 am

TritonFoils wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:52 pm
Leave it to an Italian hydrofoils to give the best "first impression" written review of the Triton T1 monofoil yet.

Brutally honest, filled with verve and alliteration, and soaked in passion for the sport we love.

Apologies in advance to all Italian speakers as the link contents and text below are courtesy of Google Translate.

BTW: azoele actually speaks (writes) excellent English. :wink2:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:47 pm

I actually had a couple of brief session on the Triton in Cabarete back in January, but as I didn't have a mast that fit, I hadn't been using it since. Just picked up a Triton mast set, which like the rest of the gear is very nice quality. Had my first session yesterday in perfect conditions: 16 - 18 knots side shore using a 4m Peak (I'm around 82 kg at the minute).

As with my previous experiences (and it seems, everyone else's) water starting was very straightforward. The first few runs felt a bit squirrely as I learned to adjust my balance. After about 20 minutes I felt pretty comfortable riding. After an hour I was quite dialled in on on my jibes. The thing I had the most difficulty with was foot switches - I think the reason is that the mast is positioned about 6 cm further forward than my regular set-up, so as I was stepping forward I was sinking the nose of the board too much.

Water starting is so easy because you're on a big, quite thick wing, so when you pop up there's a lot of lift & buoyancy under foot - I'm not sure the fuselage and stabilizer of a conventional foil play much part in providing lift and stability during the water start. Today the wind was much lighter - around 9 - 10 knots. Using a 6m Peak I was (just) able to get up. Again it was easier than on my regular foil because of the size & buoyancy of the wing - I found I was able to muscle up onto the wing, "float" for a second and one good power stroke down would get me foiling. In light winds another advantage is the ability to jibe so tightly, allowing you to keep more line tension through the turn.

The overall set up is very light (can't see any real point in a carbon mast) and easy to transport & carry because of the more compact footprint. It was a new experience for me to have such a "floating foil". I haven't had to body drag upwind at all for the last 2 or 3 years - just sit in the water and wait for my foil to come to me. The Triton floats completely on its side indefinitely and doesn't seem to move downwind very fast. Body dragging upwind with a (not very powered up) Peak is a PIA. I found it more effective to de-power
the kite and swim up wind to the board.

Looking forward to spending more time on the Triton in a variety of conditions. I don't think it's going to take long until I feel as comfortable on it as on a regular foil.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
zlatko23 (Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:20 pm

The momentum is building!

Triton's T1 monofoil is winning over foilers for its amazing versatility and a ride like nothing they have felt before on a foil.

But hey with no stab and no fuse this thing has gotta be in a breed of its own, no?

To find out, check out the the latest "first impressions" video review.

This time from some super skilled wingers on Maui.

Thank you Giampalolo!

Rudy @TritonFoils.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:55 pm

Dear gang,

just an update on my Triton adventure.
It is preaching to the choir here, I know, but it’s getting so fun I can’t restrain myself from writing it down :)

After two painfully flat and unwindy months (ouch), yesterday I finally had the chance to ride it in very big (for our local/my standars) waves.
We had “fully developed” couple of meters waves, that is, they would get vertical and then break, which is unusual here, as they can get taller then that but then they lose height before collapsing, so we tend to ride steep “hills” rather than wave faces.
Well, yesterday we had actual walls, scary ones :)

I can only say: my first drop off the face of a large wave had me yell like kids on a out of control merry go round!
I was as scared as when I first approached waves in my foiling adventure, and I was exhilarated, giggling like a lunatic all the time, and then silencing only to regain some concentration remembering I could hurt myself! :D

I would drop off the waves chasing the bottoms left by previous ones, accelerating like crazy (it was frantic, so at times I forgot to remove pull from the kite so focuses I was on not exploding on the T1!!!), and enjoyed every instant of it. Nothing like trying to control the pitch of the T1 in toeside going too fast down from a too-big-for-my-abilities wave!
That was glorius.

I was so scared of coming down waves with it that I almost relegated my other fear – overcoming them! – to the back of my mind.
Until I was faced with the beast with its top leap ready to lash at me :D
Well: the T1 shocked me again. Simply shifting the weight has it pop upwards like a rocket. Yes, the dreaded pitch instability was finally useful, yay! :D I needn’t use any force, I just needed to be quick enough in compensating not to have it jump out of the water, and the T1 would get almost vertical in an instant, and climb.
And then, when finally the time came that one wave was too steep, and I did not have the time to track it on its back downwards and so I breached for an instant, i did not catapult: the T1 exited the surface, felt like it “bounced” flat on the water (no joking) and then ripped through the water again, leaving me in disbelief as I was contemplating a magnificent crash which did not come!

Amazing feelings. Amazing.

The T1 is growing on me so much so that my previous “surf foil” stays home.
It turns so tight that it can bend my knees, or it can glide in large turns and be pleasantly relaxing.
It makes footswitches devastatingly difficult when tired, but it allows to recover almost every mistake once you understand how key the back foot is and learn not the scared of the instability. I do feel like I am trying to balance on a single stilt when I botch the footswitch by I still manage to put the back foot in the proper place, and almost always I can recover the mistake despite the T1 oscillating along all the axes!
It goes fast, it goes so slow it sinks, it rips waves.
Yes: it tomawahks like crazy jumping out of the water looking for your head.
Yes, each and every time I botch a tack my heart rate skyrockets in fear... (but then I am forced to improve).

But... Wow.

Yes, I have preached to the choir here.
Some people do ridiculous stuff on it, they don't need this comment, and in light of their abilities what I just recounted is nothing but a lower intensity, almost relaxing blip on their usual riding experience map – something which truly fuels my modesty through comparison, by the way.
But… had to write it. The epiphany was real, as was the fun to me! :D

And also, wished to write it as encouragement too.
I was almost a quitter: after getting the T1 on my head and also on my face, and hurting myself during botched tacks, and fighting (rather than espousing) its instability, I grew tired, weary, scared, and had decided enough was enough.
I think this can happen to users: there’s a lot to re-learn, and punishment can be severe. It’s not really more difficult than a normal foil, just different enough that without an understanding of what goes on, it will be a painful ride for very little additional fun.

Once I understood that it may look like a foil, and it may behave (partially) like one, but it is special, and calls for special riding, the T1 stopped tormenting me, and became the greatest fun I get on the water!

So: for prospective buyers, I'd wish to say get ready for the adventure, yes also the possibility of some harsh re-learning, but be confident: it is absolutely worth it.
For prospective quitters, like I was: if you can ride it, you are almost there already, don’t quit. Focus on few fundamentals (i.e. the backfoot is essential, and 95% of the riding in my view), and one day there’ll come a breakthrough, and things will begin to feel natural, you’ll be hooked to it and forget the pain, disappointments, and even rage you might have felt at the beast. I did! :D

So, prospectives, beginners, experts, you all have fun with the Beast! :D
These users thanked the author azoele for the post (total 2):
noahsw (Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:33 pm) • irwe (Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:04 am)
Rating: 6.06%

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:08 am

I found the Downwind speed of the Triton V1 was my biggest surprise. All my other Wave type foils would Foil Bomb going down a face. I have yet to find the maximum speed of the Triton V1

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:15 am

My 4th session on the Triton today. Very light wind - perhaps 10 - 12 knots maximum. Contrary to Azoele, I have to say I don't find the T1 particularly challenging. No problems riding, no problems jibing. It's the easiest foil to waterstart I have used. It's possible that this is because it's the largest wing I've been on. In light wind I dive the kite, send it back up & draaag myself up over the (submerged) board. At that point if I can just manage to dive the kite, head off the wind & get the kite moving forward without hanging too much off the back lines - the T1 will pop up and get me going.

I have had real problems foot switching with the T1, but finally had some success today. The key seems to be to bring the back foot quite far forward to balance the foil. Once my weight is centred and the foil keeps moving under control, I can shuffle the back foot further back again.

Return to “Hydrofoil”