Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby Jyoder » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 pm

I’ve followed the Horst monofoil thread on kiteforum with interest and I rode a couple different wings stabless enough to get a sense for the benefit and cost. Delta foils also produced a monofoil that was hyped for a bit and then hype disappeared.

So far I don’t see anything groundbreaking in this T1 design, and careful look at all the available videos confirms this in my opinion.

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but it seems overhyped and heavily marketed without evidence to back it up. Why are there ads showing up everywhere and sensationalism from the company but all the actual footage shows mediocre foiling at best??

I hope you can prove me wrong, as I want to believe, but at this point I really don’t.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
TritonFoils (Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:23 am

Totally get where you are coming from Jyoder and appreciate the straight talk.

Two observations...

First, don't take our word on the T1 being the world's first truly accessible (e.g. ridable) monowing, check out these independent rider reviews:

1. viewtopic.php?p=1151103#p1151103

and, 2. http://kiteforum.ca/viewtopic.php?p=105770#p105770

Second, this is a passion project for us which I hope you can tell by the people behind the T1 monowing - https://www.tritonfoils.com/team.html.

We are not a big brand and would not have spent two years and more time and money that we'd like to admit coming up with this amazing, innovative wing.

But hey, you are right, at the end of day the T1 monowing will either prove itself out or not on beaches around world.

And if its not what you want spend your time riding on all the power to you. There are tons of great foils out there. Ride them to your heart's content.

For the lucky few who do get their hands on a T1 in 2021 (we have limited supply) there are going to be a lot of big smiles going around which makes it all worthwhile for us.

Thanks for the comments!

Rudy @TritonFoils

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:30 am

Jyoder wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 pm
I’ve followed the Horst monofoil thread on kiteforum with interest and I rode a couple different wings stabless enough to get a sense for the benefit and cost. Delta foils also produced a monofoil that was hyped for a bit and then hype disappeared.

So far I don’t see anything groundbreaking in this T1 design, and careful look at all the available videos confirms this in my opinion.

I don’t mean to be a jerk, but it seems overhyped and heavily marketed without evidence to back it up. Why are there ads showing up everywhere and sensationalism from the company but all the actual footage shows mediocre foiling at best??

I hope you can prove me wrong, as I want to believe, but at this point I really don’t.
I think you are completely misreading the situation. There's no "overhype" & "ads showing up everywhere". There's an ad on Kiteforum & there's this thread - that's about it. This is a small start-up company based on passion for the sport - not a multi-million dollar, multi-national brand. There's no money to make it heavily marketed & no budget for big-name riders - the "mediocre foiling" is regular guys doing their thing & sharing the stoke. I have no idea how good the Triton T1 wing is - I may at some point get to try it - but I know the individuals involved & they are stand-up guys. Time will tell if the product is good & the project gathers momentum.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post (total 5):
geron (Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:35 pm) • anotheroldguy (Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:36 pm) • TritonFoils (Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 pm) • Eltreato (Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:34 pm) • GregK (Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:13 am)
Rating: 15.15%

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:47 am

Jyoder wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:21 pm

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:
These users thanked the author matth for the post:
anotheroldguy (Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 pm

Just a few ads man, what's the problem here. I kope you succeed and this turns out to be a great thing for all foilers in the long run.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post (total 2):
anotheroldguy (Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:37 pm) • TritonFoils (Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:53 am

Jyoder: Please look at it also through the eyes of Toby.... You seem to think everything good should be free in life. Servers, certificates, infrastructure, and Toby's time all cost, so it's only fair if a company who gets massive visibility through his forum also pays for an add or two.
This has nothing to do with overhype marketing.

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:25 am

I had 5 sessions on the T1 wing so far, all in flat water. My quick conclusion is: yes, this wing is what Triton say it is. I bought the T1 (have no other relationship with Triton) because of the claimed low drag, wide range in speed, and no whistling. And indeed, all those are true.

My first session was pretty weird. The first ~40 min were a struggle. When up on the foil, I was riding almost out of control, leaning left and right, back and forth, at the mercy of the chop, like a rubber duck bobbing in the waves. But after that things got better quickly, and I was able to start enjoying it.

I was surprised that the wing floats with a Slingshot 71cm mast + lightweight base attached. Mounted to a Naish Hover 127 kite board, it floats on the side. If the wing is down it will stay down, unless the board is nudged by a wave from the side.

I did not notice any front foot pressure increase at speed.

What I like best however about the T1 is the turns….. magnificent. You can turn anywhere, anytime, from essentially pivoting in place (just twist your hips a little), to leaning into any carve you want. Beats everything else I have tried. The limiting factor is the kite. In higher winds, with a smaller kite (I used Peaks, mostly 5m and 8m), you can do figure 8 turns in very tight spots.

I don’t know yet how the T1 rides in small waves. I also cannot comment on durability at this point.

What you are obviously losing with the T1 is stability. You trade off some of that in exchange for the others - great bargain, if you ask me. At the same time, while loose, the T1 is a very stable mono wing (if I may say so without having tried any other mono wings) - just because an average rider like me was able to learn and enjoy it quickly.

Kudos to the Triton team. A few years back, watching Horst Sergio’s videos, I was certain that I would never be able to ride a mono wing. How cool is it that you can now buy a custom designed mono wing, and have a blast on it, after a limited learning period? Very very cool, if you ask me.
These users thanked the author br44 for the post (total 6):
Flyboy (Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:36 am) • nothing2seehere (Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:18 am) • TritonFoils (Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:37 pm) • anotheroldguy (Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:48 pm) • NNOwind (Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:54 pm) • Gestalt (Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:34 am)
Rating: 18.18%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:41 am

Interesting. When you're learning how to foil, its so challenging, that the idea of a mono wing seems a bit absurd.But now I can see the pluses: it makes sense that the wing would turn quick & loose & that this might be a benefit in riding waves/swell.

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:41 pm

Thanks br44 for this review.

Its super gratifying to see riders having the same experiences in terms of accessibly, the amazing turns, tacks and carves you can do on a monowing, and overall stability despite not having a fuselage and rear stabilizer.

All these points are flagged in the previous rider reviews on this thread for anyone who wants to go deeper:

viewtopic.php?p=1151103#p1151103 – early bird

viewtopic.php?p=1151644#p1151644 - justmike666

Keep the reviews and feedback coming!

For those of you who have been asking on this forum about when the wing will be commercially available, we hope to have our first batch of production wings ready for shipping in the coming couple of weeks.

Quantiles are limited so if you want to be sure to ride a T1 monowing in 2021 pre-order now.

https://www.tritonfoils.com/

Thanks again br44 for taking a flyer on one of our prototypes and so glad you are happy with the ride.

Rudy @TritonFoils
Attachments
Triton MonoWing Packaging 8.2.jpg

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:46 pm

The T1 monowing is making its Maui debut this November including being put through its paces by some impressive wing foliers.

Who knew you could wing a mono foil like this? Wow! No stab, no fuse, no limits. :D

Keep the pics coming!

Rudy @TritonFoils
Attachments
TIMonoMaui.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”