Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby TritonFoils » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:37 pm

Thx for the review Martrench!

The T1 monofoil does like small boards. In addition to being a great pair for travel the inputs seem even more direct and responsive when you are riding plank under 1 meter.

Drop us a line if we can kit you out on the custom T1 monofoil pocket board by Newind.

It’s a beauty at 87cm coming in a bit bigger and manageable than the Microchip but still under the airline check in bag max dimension of 90cm.

Grab us anytime at sales@tritonfoils.com and enjoy your new toy!

Rudy, Co-Founder.
Attachments
C276E15F-D172-4C53-9F6E-AE9416463ED0.jpeg
02268D65-42C5-4B47-9BCB-C0089568B04D.jpeg
B99D8BA6-49C2-4A45-AD45-611D089EBB8B.jpeg
07B1135B-D55F-4E0B-A735-A81EEBCB5A91.jpeg

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby martrench » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:44 am

Sounds good Rudy - I'll check them out :thumb:

I got out again yesterday on the T1 with a 6m Peak. At the end of my session I played around going super slow and doing 180 pivot turns while on foil. Kind of crazy how slow you can go before it stalls/sinks.

My buddy noticed my nose of my board was a bit high while riding, so I'm going to experiment with the Triton shims to level it out some.
Attachments
T1fun.jpg
T1fun.jpg (127.2 KiB) Viewed 1196 times

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021

Postby TritonFoils » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:46 pm

Shims will definitely do the trick. It’s really whatever your preference is re board angle. Chris and I ride the T1 without shims and don’t notice any performance difference when we add them onto the mast to board connection. I personally kind of like the nose of the board up a bit as it creates for me a more immediate feeling of being able to change the front foot pressure and therefore the angle of attack of the monofoil. Let us know what you experience!

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:38 pm

I like the angle because it's doesn't *feel* nose up (note you didn't feel it Martrench, it was noticed by another) and it give you the natural protection from digging the nose in. Riding in a lumpy ocean, you're going to bang it off the surface sometimes. Especially if you prefer the shorter mast as I do. With the T1 I always bounce off the water without digging in.

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:47 pm

Thanks - I'll let you know how the shims work!

Question: Are you Triton guys disassembling your Triton setup often after riding?

My mast is a real tight fit into base plate (understand they are designed this way).

I'm using Tef-gel on all my bolts.

melaquekite
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Melaque, MX
Barra de Navidad, MX
Favorite Beaches: Ilha du Guajiru, Brazil
Style: Everything, course, jumps, cruising
Gear: Naish

Postby melaquekite » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:27 am

TritonFoils wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:37 pm

Grab us anytime at sales@tritonfoils.com and enjoy your new toy!

Rudy, Co-Founder.
Hi Rudy,
I just purchased the entire Foil/Mast/Board setup. I see in your image above that you have this base fairly far forward... like almost center in the track? Explain. I generally (with Moses) have my base mounted as far aft as allowed. I'm new to the Mono world and waiting for wind.
Kip in Mexico

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:45 pm

Two good questions thx!

We are not taking our monofoils apart for transport back and forth to the beach. For airline travel I have taken the baseplate off. Tap it with a mallet and take it slow and it will come off like a charm. Good re gel on the bolts in salt water. Also for your first few sessions make sure to retighten the wing to mast M8 bolts as they can loosen on their own accord.

Regarding mast position I ride it with the mast at the back of the track / rear of the board. I find this creates the most space on the board deck as with the T1 your back foot is going to be over the leading edge of the mast and not a mm further back for optimal lift from the wing and pitch control. Some guys however swear they can only ride the T1 with the mast way forward. I guess each to their own but I want as much deck space as I can get on our 87cm pocket board. :). Maybe Peter Frank or another engineer on this forum can explain mast placement relative to the centre of lift of the wing. I definitely find the centre of lift on the T1 to be further forward than a traditional foil.

Look forward to your first impression review and be sure to take some pics or video!

Thx for the questions and support.

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 am

If I may add a comment on mast positioning, I think that it is dependent both on rider's weight and on his/her weight distribution habits.

In my case (110kg) I need to push the mast more forward than what I do with my other standard surf foiling setup to be able to ride with the same position on the board, by minimum 5 cm.
Part of it can be recovered by narrowing the feet stance, but I found that unless I push the T1 forward enough compared to my other foil I find myself working practically only on my back leg, leaving the front light as a feather :D

By the way, am still amazed by it: I had "pensioned" mine as I was trying to learn to jump and preferred the ease of my other foil as a complete jumping newbie. Yesterday I used the T1 again after probably 2 months, and in waves, and was amazed that I got up and riding immediately :thumb: It is a fun wing.
Can't wait for the forthcoming evolution with higher size, which hopefully may serve better those like me who can never seem to be able to keep the fridge and the cupboard alone! :rollgrin:

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:22 pm

Interesting re: mast position. Thanks for sharing.

The reality is that if you are feeling that your front foot is a "light as a feather" your back foot is too far back on the T1. #1 rule for getting the maximum out of the T1's hydrodynamics: always have your back foot on top of the leading edge of the mast. I am 99% sure this is regardless of weight. Putting your back foot on top of the mast base plate or over the trailing edge of the mast will mean that the centre of lift from the wing isnt coming up through your centre of mass and hence you get the light front foot sensation. 100% correct that the T1 has preference for middle weight riders - e.g. sub 100kg - in terms of its lift. Chris has a few projects underway in the Triton Skunk Works and hopefully come the Spring we will be able to offer heavier riders a monofoil experience that allows them to kite down re: size and enjoy the full spectrum versatility of monofoiling.

To get an idea of how far guys are starting to push this wing re: its versatility, check out this video of me interviewing Willy one of our German madmen riding the T1 on local lakes:

What will T1 riders do next? :)

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils.
www.tritonfoils.com

These users thanked the author TritonFoils for the post:
Trent hink (Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:17 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

athen
Medium Poster

Postby athen » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:40 pm

Hello,
I would like to have the sure confirmation if this monowing can be used with the smallest CrazyFly PURE 77 x 43 board, without any problem?
And of course without the board sinking.
Thank you

Return to “Hydrofoil”