Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby a99 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 pm

I can’t understand how Triton only just now taking care of designing and delivering adapters for SabMoses as was clearly obvious what a lot of Sabmoses riders would like to have suchh wing for riding as SabMoses gear is very popular in this foil field. Of course other level of bad marketing is SabMoses itself impossibility to release such wing in right time as demand for it is huge:)
These users thanked the author a99 for the post:
TritonFoils (Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:26 am)
Rating: 3.03%

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:30 pm

a99 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:26 pm
Of course other level of bad marketing is SabMoses itself impossibility to release such wing in right time as demand for it is huge:)
I wonder how big of a market we are are talking.
It seems like a niche part of a small market to me.
IMHO it needs to be an absolute beginner friendly setup that you don’t grow out of quickly to get a big market share and at this point it certainly is not.

A monowing you probably only going to consider after getting reasonably good and wanting for something that is extremely nimble and are ok with comprises in stability to get there.

eg its not for me, I personally like a bit more pitch stability then it provides and I feel it will hold back my progress at the things I want to do and learn (at about 140 foil sessions in I think I am probably above average at amount of sessions)
It is quite expensive as well so for most people it’s not something to buy for “occasional usage plaything”.

Travel/compactness could also be a reason but you still need to be actually a reasonably good foiler already and be ok with the different experience it gives.

Don’t get me wrong, it is nice to see something new and I am sure there is a (small) market and having a wide ecosystem of foil options is good for any brand (certainly got me into sabfoil over other brands). However, I would be surprised if a big part of the people who foil would move to mono wings unless they can design it to be more stable and reducing costs is probably also important.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:43 pm

@NNOwind:
I would be carefully with this adapter, don’t underestimate the lever forces when one wing tip rises above water and you ride with full load on the other wing side. This may pull out your M6 inserts out of your moses strut, even if you don’t jump. As the M6 inserts are just designed to hold the strut fitting in the fuselage fitting. The role forces just need a wider base if not, better a fitting or a base adapter as Triton shows and also Spleene uses that spreads the load from the strut sidewalls to a wider base on the wing.

@geron:
He uses front staps, back straps IMHO are overrated for jumping anyway 😉

@Rudy / Triton:
Thanks for the video, as Jyoder says, respect to kiteboarding.com, I haven’t seen any video of some one riding a mono sitting rodeo style till now. With a no S reflex profile mono wing it feels like close to impossible.
So, this alone to me is a proof of stability of your wing, giving an easy access to any good foiler. I will test it one day, even if I think some are overrating my evaluation. IMHO it is more important how much new mono foilers like it.
I am anyway actually more into HA wings and pumping.
HA 1100 Mono Pumpwing.jpg
But after seeing rodeo and enjoying pumping, good to know there is no more relevant trick left a mono can’t do compared with a stabi foil.
Well maybe going more than 50 km/h jumping over 15 m, hurting yourself, especially with a pointy stabi, enjoying the drag of the stabi, the railway feeling, especially in the surf …
HA 1100 Mono Pumpwing-2.jpg
… and not getting your huge stabi foil into a normal car, without dismantling, not to forget 😉
These users thanked the author Horst Sergio for the post (total 2):
TritonFoils (Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:25 am) • NNOwind (Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:53 am)
Rating: 6.06%

NNOwind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 82 kg
Local Beach: Beach
Favorite Beaches: Baltic Sea / Mother City
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Board Anton SKATER 75cm
Mast Moses Carbon 60/82 cm
Wing 633/679
Triton T1
Kite 12,6,4,2 m²

Postby NNOwind » Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:34 pm

@ Horst

my adapter is screwed tightly with M8, and then has the original Moses mount. My adapter has more support like any Aulmast. :thumb:

Due to themperaturen (1 °) I had today no desire to experiment and have tried to shovel no water in the hood and just wanted to drive....
I had already tried once to try me with the mono wing but this quickly left again. For this I had then only removed the Stabi from the Moses Foil, but felt that was unrideable.

Therefore I was curious about the Triton T1.
After 3 start attempts I came today with the mono wing T1 into flying. This is also needed to find the right foot position. The first 2Min. were then like at that time my first Foilfahrten. An uncontrolled cab driving... But already after another 2Min as if I never drove anything else. For beginners the wing is unsuitable but for kiters who already have foil experience it should not be a problem. What I liked, the foil floats nicely on the side and does not sink. So you can position your feet well at launch. The launch is just as easy as with the 633, with a turn you are immediately on the wing. It is amazing that even if the airflow leaves the wing and it comes out of the water for a short time, it does not bother in the least. I would say that it just continues on the water surface. With the 633 it was more problematic and usually came to a crash.

I would not say that the wing is better, but just different. Just as easy to drive as the 633, but a lot freer, or more revvy.
The 633 definitely stays in my bag now.
Tomorrow we expect up to 50kn here, let's see how the T1 does there.

By the way, the Triton T1 mono wing is even lighter than my carbon fuselage and the 633.

Thumbs up to the Triton T1 troop, really great work!
These users thanked the author NNOwind for the post:
nothing2seehere (Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:12 am)

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:45 am

[quote=
I wonder how big of a market we are are talking.
It seems like a niche part of a small market to me.
IMHO it needs to be an absolute beginner friendly setup that you don’t grow out of quickly to get a big market share and at this point it certainly is not.

A monowing you probably only going to consider after getting reasonably good and wanting for something that is extremely nimble and are ok with comprises in stability to get there.
[/quote]

I built myself a mono wing around June? last year. A pretty slippery 600mm wide x 450 long thing, shaped a bit like a sting ray.

And got it (mostly) out of my system.
Yes, the pitch stability and roll sensitivity were great.
The problem was that like you see with the Triton videos, my foil needed a high angle of attack to sustain my weight. If I was a lot lighter (round about 105kg at time of testing), or hooked in to a harness it might not have been an issue but for me, the end result was that it was the only wing that needed both speed to get on foil, and a lot of arm strain holding the hand wing, just to stay on foil. Maybe Triton have an extremely deep, thick profile allowing it to be efficient at very low speed? Certainly my profile lacked thickness, at it's thickest it is about 30mm and I did a thicker 3D printed one which had a bit more lift but was also super draggy due to the inefficiency of the low aspect ratio. Full marks to guys like Horst Sergio for learning to control medium and high aspect monos, that's where the fun begins. For training to control a mono, sure, you can get a Triton, do a DIY low aspect, maybe investigate the special aerodynamics behind the Concorde jet's wings design which is reputed to use wingtip vorticies productively. You will have an inefficient use of your wetted area though.
I can ride the mono I designed (mould shown below), it spans 1100mm wide x 400front to back of winglet rear line to the front but it is pitchy. Probably a lot more stable than what Horst rides though. For my level of ability, I have to taxi it to get my balance position fine tuned, then I'm feeling strain in muscles I'm not normally feeling. I can with a bit of practice ride it for sustained runs but it's not a lot of fun, more in the reactions of people seeing me ride it, than in actual enjoyment on the waves. If I persevered then I'd surely improve but I'm 55, fat and so I designed and 3D printed titanium rod end attachments to append a stabiliser underneath at the back of my Axis mast and now the fun factor is back, instead of wowing myself that I can actually ride a mono(not very well), I'm enjoying the trainer wheel version. Because it's a swept wing, I get some pitch stability, the 12mm titanium round rod does flex a bit, and probably because i made the wing with waves, it seems to have a big gray area around fast enough/not fast enough for stalling. It's probably met my goal of a tubercles alternative, certainly it's also a bit vague on initial lift unlike a more traditional shaped wing. And tubercles are getting rave review on the Takuma Kujura. They are also my next experiment for a full front/rear wing set so I'll be able to see if that less snappy jump on and off foil that Takuma users report has the same feel with my tubercles design as with my wavy effect wing.

I'm curious as to speed and arm loading on the Tritons, not under locked in kite traction, but with hand wings.

Any of you people can monofoil, you just have to go back to taxiing. And for safety, chop the back of the fuselage off, for ease of use, use your highest chord front wing.
Attachments
WavySweptMouldsmini.jpg
WavySweptMouldsmini.jpg (35.81 KiB) Viewed 3716 times

NNOwind
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 82 kg
Local Beach: Beach
Favorite Beaches: Baltic Sea / Mother City
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Board Anton SKATER 75cm
Mast Moses Carbon 60/82 cm
Wing 633/679
Triton T1
Kite 12,6,4,2 m²

Re: Triton Foils veröffentlicht den ersten zugänglichen Monowing: Triton T1

Postby NNOwind » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:53 am

These users thanked the author NNOwind for the post:
Flyboy (Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:36 pm)

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:11 pm

Awesome dedication NNOwind!

You are one tough hombre. 1c. Dry suit. Wipe outs. And then up and cruising!

The single most important piece of advice we have for riders trying the wing the first time is put your rear foot over the leading edge of the mast.

Check out my foot placement in this video for a visual reference (25c, sunny and 2/3 on):

DONT put you rear foot at the back of the board as this really ups the pitch instability when you are water starting and riding.

btw love you pocket board and so does the T1 monowing - expert tip: dont ride it on a big liter board as it doesn't like the nose weight and swing.

Happy sailing and look forward to your next video. Lets see some 360s!

Rudy @tritonfoils

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:06 pm

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 pm

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:00 pm

marlboroughman wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:09 pm
Thanks. Unmanned aircraft control already on 1997-8. So, little bit more clear regarding boeings on 9/11.

Return to “Hydrofoil”