Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:45 am

That does look like a slick bag, Rudy. Is the extending pocket for a longer board sufficiently padded to still safely work as checked luggage? And could a longer mast go with the board into the extending pocket? Are those bags at any retailers because I’d love to take a look in person?

NAK, definitely depends on how small you are trying to pack. You are right width is the issue because most general purpose bags are a touch narrower than the T1. I have been bag shopping this month for an all-purpose gear bag and it has been frustrating, to say the least. Nothing I’ve looked at, even the 130L Eagle Creek bag I just bought, would comfortably fit the 18” width of the T1 if that were my goal. From looking at that Gothamite bag I’d say your 18”
Wide bag should have no trouble. (Also, reviews are mixed. Is your bag holding up well?)

I have the Litewave Golf bag for my kite travel and it works really well for a couple boards (inc. my stubby surfboard) and gear right up to 50 lbs. I think it technically measures 45cm or 47cm wide but the middle pooches out with normal packing and the Triton will fit in it well. I’m not worried about the T1 somehow getting pinched. Here’s a picture with surfboard, Groove 110, and Triton. But if you are trying to go small, that Triton bag is the best option I’ve seen.
Attachments
64979857-E2CF-48F8-AD0A-193373D394DB.jpeg
64979857-E2CF-48F8-AD0A-193373D394DB.jpeg (155.28 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Wed Dec 14, 2022 2:52 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:45 am
From looking at that Gothamite bag I’d say your 18”
Wide bag should have no trouble. (Also, reviews are mixed. Is your bag holding up well?)
I have just one trip under my belt, but it was a two hop, so multiple checkins and handling. Loaded to 62 pounds it held up perfectly. It seems well built, but time will tell. The Rockland bag I tried last year, same style of bag, was falling apart after one non-stop trip.

KVL
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby KVL » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:22 am

Unfortunately I don't have the T1 so can't comment on that one. But for travel I use the board bag from my inflatable Fanatic SUP. The bag eats a lot, and has shoulder straps and wheels. I can fit in my 100cm board, Moses mast, fuselage, 633, bar, pump, wetsuit and two kites. The bag has always been in the free baggage allowance, though some times they wanted it in the odd size baggage. Good and easy travel bag.

I am sure it will also take the T1.

https://www.thesupco.com/images/fanatic ... _image.jpg

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:42 am

Just wondering whether anyone else has snapped a bolt? It's a first for me in 4-5 years of foiling. I have been carving really hard lately chucking the T1 around, having lots of fun with it. Found one 6 month old stainless M6 [Edit: M8 Bolt] torx bolt snapped with the top half missing. Now I've got a piece of drill bit stuck in there and I'm going to have to take it to a machine shop for help.

I was thinking that this is probably due to the stresses on the 2 bolts - the wing to mast connection is the weak point of the T1 design IMHO. I'm hoping the T2 will take a leaf from Axis's book and make a larger pad area to spread the load and allow more bolts. Possibly an adapter like a smaller lighter version of the baseplate at the top of the mast, which sits in a recess in the T1 wing. Still has the two main bolts thru from below, but also some smaller ones in the corners from the top. Something along those lines.

I'm back to using a 16mm Axis mast and baseplate and it's way heavier - too heavy for the rest of the setup. Can't wait to get my Triton mast repaired.
Last edited by Oldman_Dave on Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:36 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:42 am
Found one 6 month old stainless M6 torx bolt snapped with the top half missing.
I’m a little confused as I’m 99% sure my Triton mast is M8 top and bottom. I would definitely be concerned about using M6. As an aside, it’s also why I’m not loving the idea about using an M6 Moses adapter on my Project Cedrus mast.

Willy1234
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Bavaria
Style: Foil Freestyle
Gear: Duotone, Naish, Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby Willy1234 » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:38 pm

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Just wondering whether anyone else has snapped a bolt? It's a first for me in 4-5 years of foiling. I have been carving really hard lately chucking the T1 around, having lots of fun with it. Found one 6 month old stainless M6 torx bolt snapped with the top half missing. Now I've got a piece of drill bit stuck in there and I'm going to have to take it to a machine shop for help.

I was thinking that this is probably due to the stresses on the 2 bolts - the wing to mast connection is the weak point of the T1 design IMHO. I'm hoping the T2 will take a leaf from Axis's book and make a larger pad area to spread the load and allow more bolts. Possibly an adapter like a smaller lighter version of the baseplate at the top of the mast, which sits in a recess in the T1 wing. Still has the two main bolts thru from below, but also some smaller ones in the corners from the top. Something along those lines.

I'm back to using a 16mm Axis mast and baseplate and it's way heavier - too heavy for the rest of the setup. Can't wait to get my Triton mast repaired.
Hey guys,

The M8/M6 combo screws are for the Moses Adapter!! If you are using the Triton Mast or the other aluminum masts , just use M8. I bought additional screws in M8 x 60 I think. V4A. I change them every 3 months, but I’m on the water every week twice. Some friends had broken screws in their slingshot setups… so I am changing my screws more than once a year 🤣

Have fun

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:20 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:36 am
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Found one 6 month old stainless M6 torx bolt snapped with the top half missing.
I’m a little confused as I’m 99% sure my Triton mast is M8 top and bottom. I would definitely be concerned about using M6. As an aside, it’s also why I’m not loving the idea about using an M6 Moses adapter on my Project Cedrus mast.
Yes sorry my bad, definitely M8 bolts. Just a brainfart.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:30 am

I have the Moses adapter set.

It sure looks sketchy, but I'm sure it's fine for just riding around.

From what I recall, if the instructions did not implicitly state that it was a a bad idea to jump it with the adapter, it was at least implied....

But when I think of it, I think it was explicitly stated.

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:46 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:30 am
I have the Moses adapter set.

It sure looks sketchy, but I'm sure it's fine for just riding around.

From what I recall, if the instructions did not implicitly state that it was a a bad idea to jump it with the adapter, it was at least implied....

But when I think of it, I think it was explicitly stated.

Yes the Moses adapter for the T1 monowing is for cruising around and not jumping. Fine to do some low acrobatics but definitely don’t boost. We have a promo on now for the full carbon adapter to match the T1 mono wing to your favourite first generation Moses mast. Basically, buy a T1 wing and we will throw in the $199 adapter for free. Super light weight. Super compact. Pretty much the ultimate travel solution for foiling. Email us at sales@tritonfoils.com and we will get you sorted.
Chris & Rudy, co-founders,
Triton Foils - www.tritonfoils.com.
66527850-6481-41CF-811D-4E3A4548F61F.jpeg

rmn_rei
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 91
Local Beach: East Coast Park, Singapore
Changi Beach, Singapore
Lake Urner, Switzerland
Lake Zurich, Switzerland
Favorite Beaches: Zulu Sea, Philippines
Coronation Beach, Western Australia
Kite Beach Maui, Hawaii
Style: twin-tip, surfboard, mono-foil
Gear: Naish Kites
Flysurfer Kites
Appletree Surfboards
Appletree Foilboards
Triton Foils
Crazyfly Twintip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rmn_rei » Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:15 pm

Hi there, fellow kiters

I've been riding a triton t1 for the past few months and wanted to share my findings :) Just a short Into; I started off with the wing only and used a 75cm slingshot mast. It performed well and it's nice that the T1 fits many foil systems to save money. But because I wanted to travel and wanted a longer mast, I then switched to the much lighter triton 85cm. The T1 really got me hooked after very few sessions. Riding the T1 is an amazing experience and just pure fun. It's more agile than other foils but yet super stable and fast enough for every freerider out there. I really appreaciate that I have a choice if I want to turn on a coin and throw the board around or that I can go for long jybing turns. Doing last, I feel the T1 requires way less front foot pressure vs. a standard foil, wich is really nice when you're still not 100% confident on going downwind or going for full powered jybes on a foil. Let me quickly break down in the following lines, why everyone should consider adding a T1 to their quiver....

-The simplicity. it's one wing that works everytwhere and has a huge wind range. yYu don't need to choose different stabilizers and front wings every time. It saves you confusion, money and time spent assembling it. It's way easier to assemble. I only dismount the mast and the wing and leave on the base plate. Every time i go to the beach i just need to put it together with 6 screws while a standard foil ususally comes with at least 4 more. What I also appreciate is that due to the knob in the mast, fitting the screws is very easy and when you're done, the set-up doesn't fall apart and crashes on your board when dismentling it like other sets do.

-low wind ability & riding; The T1 starts going with very little power but holds the stability up to fully powered conditions easily. I'm able to cruise around with 8knts boards speed and can go up to 25kts (not sure if that's the high-end) when the wind is rocking. It enables me to ride it with a small kite at all times. I'm 91kg and I easily get going with a 7.5m kite in 7-10kts. The turning is phenomenal and it's very reactive but still very forgiving in the water. It feels more like riding a mini surfboard than riding a powerful foil.

- design and weight; I travelled a few times with the triton foil set and the weight and volume you save is easily allowing you to pack one more kite. The construction is rock-solid and to be honest, it just looks way cooler than any normal foil :D . here a few impressions from one of my trips; https://youtu.be/m5qGoRnbQLw

- beginner friendly; My buddies tested my T1 one the beach, mostly because it looks cool and it's definately something different (in a good way, see above). One had his 3rd session on foil ever and first time on the T1. He managed to ride stable on the T1 almost instantly. Another big advantage of the T1 is the rather round and blunt outline. There is almost no part on the foil that can actually hurt you very badly when you fall on it. Sure, blunt impact still gives you bruises, but you don't end up getting cut in pieces like with many other brands.

that said; i highly recommend to try it, most likely, you'll buy it :thumb:

cheers
Roman

Return to “Hydrofoil”