Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:11 pm

When you have everything in hand, could you post some pics of the whole lot assembled and mounted on your board, just for us to drool over? :thumb:

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:22 am

Looking good!

Curious - does your entire setup above float on its side, or is the aluminum mast heavy enough to sink the T1 foil (travel downwind after crashing)?

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:34 pm

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:11 pm
When you have everything in hand, could you post some pics of the whole lot assembled and mounted on your board, just for us to drool over? :thumb:
CaptureFullFoil.JPG
Your wish is your command Dave Oldman.

Simplicity and beauty are universal in form and function.

:)

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Folders
These users thanked the author TritonFoils for the post:
Oldman_Dave (Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:28 am)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:41 pm

martrench wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:22 am
Looking good!

Curious - does your entire setup above float on its side, or is the aluminum mast heavy enough to sink the T1 foil (travel downwind after crashing)?
Good question!

Yes, the wing at 1700cm2 has a fair amount of float.

Personally, using the T1 for the last six months I don't find this an issue unless I am under kited and have trouble body dragging upwind.

Generally, I like the fact that it doesn't go shooting down wind when I am wrapping up my line or generally doing something in the water.

I guess it is all a matter of personal preference,

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils
IMG_5916.jpg

joe f
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2

Postby joe f » Fri May 13, 2022 3:07 pm

I have just got off the water after my third outing on the T1 and wanted to share my thoughts. I was buzzing after the first day I had on the foil but wanted to try it out on my beloved Peaks before drawing any conclusions. I have a feeling that this review will sound like an advert, but I am a genuine customer with no link to Triton.

In a nutshell, this foil has blown my mind. It really is the nuts.

For a bit of context, I have been foiling for a few years and have owned Shinn P Foil > Zeeko Spitfire > Moses 633 > Armstrong HS850. Whilst I am sure we all like blasting along at speed, especially in light winds, I personally like turning more than I do speed. Fun on a foil for me involves carving off the (usually small) rolling swell we get here on the east coast of the UK. I like a loose foil that loves to turn. I have been using the Armstrong HS850 with the V200 tail, which is super fun and is probably why I was so drawn to the monofoil buzz as it really encourages you to crank hard. The Armstrong is a phenomenal foil and it was really just a boredom purchase that found the T1 on its way to me.

I went for the T1 with the Triton mast as I liked the look of the mast / foil connection. I probably should have gone with a Crazy Fly mast as that would have meant that I could have carried on using my Kanaha Shapes board, which I love, but I ended up with a SS Dwarfcraft 100 as the mast plate on the Triton is a very odd size. I do wish that it could have been 140x90 or 165x90 as that would have gone straight on, but I actually really like the SS board. There is, of course, the Triton option but I needed to stick to some form of budget... It does look good though, although I am not convinced that all black is the best design choice as it would be harder to see in the grim waters around here.

It is hard to get the scale, but the set up is incredibly compact and feels great:

It fits on the back seat of my car and will be great for travelling. The simplicity of not having a fuselage and stabiliser really is a bonus in my opinion. Super quick to dismantle if you want to and there is no sharp / pointy fin to cut your feet open on...

I was expecting the T1 to be loose and probably a bit of a handful at first but was staggered at how quickly it felt comfortable. I was up straight away and was making gybes from the get go. I can honestly say that you do not need to worry about a steep learning curve. I guess that may have been helped for me with the Armstrong with the tiny tail as my initial few runs on that were much wilder than the T1 and I found it incredibly pitch sensitive at first. Great fun, but it felt more like a wild stallion that needed taming. The T1 has all the immediate fun without any drawbacks as far as I can tell.

The looseness / fun factor is exactly what I was hoping for but the biggest standout for me is probably the smoothness when riding. I often describe foiling as like playing in a powder field on a snowboard. The T1 ups the stakes on this front and it is like spending the day in 4ft deep super cold snow. It is 100% fun and staggeringly fluid. I am guessing that the extra smoothness is a result of not having any stabiliser to pick up any turbulence from the main foil - you simply do not feel any vibrations at all and the silence (both sound and sensation) is addictive.

Turning is sublime. You can crank it extremely tightly, but also carve long drawn out curves. It just does exactly what you ask of it and I found my confidence building extremely quickly and it begs you to try stuff out.

Another real stand out is the speed range. I track most sessions on GPS. So far, I have used it in lightish winds on my Soul 9m and today was more of a breeze and I was on my 4m Peak. On both kites, I find myself cruising at around 28-30km/h but it is very easy to step on the gas and it jumps up to 35km/h where it still feels really comfortable. I haven’t pushed it harder yet, but there must be a top end as it looks weirdly blunt / thick on the beach and I am sure physics will play a part eventually. For me though, it is more than quick enough. Definitely more comfortable at speed than I found the 633, which I found turbulent (that may have been the mast though as I was on the original carbon masts, which were not that stiff imho). What is more surprising though is how slowly you can go. It was stay up on foil at ridiculously slow speeds and also pops up very quickly when starting, even when underpowered. I haven’t had the chance to take it out in decent waves yet but I am very hopeful that this speed range will be perfect for picking up slower swells. The Armstrong is quick and sometimes outruns swells before you can really start to enjoy them - I am hoping that the T1 will allow me to slow right down and then feel the power under your feet.

As you can probably tell, I am really really impressed by this kit. If you can foil, you will enjoy it and definitely do not need to be worried about a learning curve. I am not sure how good it would be for a total novice, but there are very few foils that really tick the beginner box without quickly becoming very boring. The Shinn P1 was a good example of this. Fantastic for learning but I was itching for something more fun very quickly. The T1 would be fine as a second foil though in my opinion.

I was also a bit worried about stepping back to an alloy mast after having enjoyed full carbon foil set ups. The Armstrong in particular is a work of art and stunning to ride. Yes, my whole set up is now heavier than it was but it doesn’t feel heavy in the water. The Armstrong was heavier than the 633 Onda kit and I preferred having a bit more weight and rigidity. This is another step in that direction. A bit heavier on the beach but not noticeable on the water and it feels super solid. I cannot compare the Triton mast to another alloy one, but the mast to foil join is super rigid and the little plug must be helping keep everything so secure. The foil floats (which I personally love as I always ride strapless) so you don't really feel the weight of an alloy mast at all.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Rather than bore you senseless, here is a screenshot of my first session on the T1. As you can hopefully see, this foil makes the water a playground and you cannot resist carving around like a nutter:

If you want to blast in straight lines at massive speeds, a higher aspect foil is going to be a better bet. For everything else, I would rather be having fun on the T1.

I am really looking forward to spending more time on it over the next few months. It is up there with the stoke I felt after getting to grips with the Peak kites. This combo is like having a go-kart on the sea.

A very, very happy customer 8)
These users thanked the author joe f for the post (total 5):
ieism (Fri May 13, 2022 3:38 pm) • anotheroldguy (Fri May 13, 2022 3:43 pm) • seppalord (Fri May 13, 2022 4:21 pm) • TritonFoils (Sat May 14, 2022 1:15 am) • martrench (Mon May 16, 2022 12:00 am)
Rating: 15.15%

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sun May 15, 2022 6:41 am

Nice review Joe and I can't argue with any of it. Love the enthusiasm. However I would be interested in your weight - I'm guessing it's closer to the 70kgs mark? The reason is that I'm 100kgs and I've found the peaks don't really give me enough with the Triton. Yes I can go but I've found the triton loves a little power, it just responds well. For me even the 6m P4 doesn't have the raw power, and as I don't switch feet but rather ride toeside, I find myself struggling to make ground upwind. Rather than putting me off the Triton, it's putting me off the Peaks. I'm trying various inflatos with an idea of powering up more.

joe f
Medium Poster
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2

Postby joe f » Sun May 15, 2022 7:13 pm

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 6:41 am
Nice review Joe and I can't argue with any of it. Love the enthusiasm. However I would be interested in your weight - I'm guessing it's closer to the 70kgs mark? The reason is that I'm 100kgs and I've found the peaks don't really give me enough with the Triton. Yes I can go but I've found the triton loves a little power, it just responds well. For me even the 6m P4 doesn't have the raw power, and as I don't switch feet but rather ride toeside, I find myself struggling to make ground upwind. Rather than putting me off the Triton, it's putting me off the Peaks. I'm trying various inflatos with an idea of powering up more.
Hahaha - I wish I was closer to the 70kg mark! I am the wrong side of 90kg (by a couple!) these days and that is me first thing in the morning at home, so god only knows what I am hitting in a winter wetsuit / boots / harness etc.

Interestingly, I also only ride toe side. I really need to change that and actually spent some time today forcing myself to ride goofy (I was predictably bad, having really not given that any focus for a couple of years). To tell the truth, I was pointing higher when sailing 'properly' (not toe side) but I have never had a problem getting up wind on a foil and am not too bothered about pointing as high as possible. As with the speed issue, I am sure that would be different if I was racing. I do want to nail foot switches this summer though as I is definitely more fatiguing when you never change.

Re: the peaks - they are definitely different and definitely work best when powered. That said, they can be surprisingly grunty and respond well to being flown hard. I actually find them to be best when you have to loop fairly agressively to get up and running. I normally get up on the foil with the kite shooting backwards on the first loop and then quickly loop it back to give it the final push and untie the lines. I am almost always flying figure of 8s rather than a simple dive, which I can do with the Souls. Sometimes it takes quite a few figure of 8s to get up but I quite enjoy it with a quick kite. When that is the case, I never have any flapping in the kite and can always dump power if gusts come through.

Personally, I have not found the T1 to be power hungry at all. I put it pretty much exactly where the 633 was, which has a great bottom end. I find it easiest to try to power straight on to the foil rather than plough through the water building up speed. Again, I find that fairly easy to do flying the Peaks hard but often get yanked over the front when trying to do the same with the Souls, which have a much bigger spike. Each to their own, but I personally prefer having to work the kite harder but obviously need a quicker kite.

I was on my 5m Peak today (after a couple of 9m Soul and one 4m Peak sessions) and it was another cracking session. Probably around 12kts (guessing - a few whitecaps but it was fairly light. 14m LEIs were struggling on twin tips and windsurfers were on 8m sails) but I had more than enough power to fly around and I found I was cruising in the low 30s (km/h) rather than the high 20s I was doing on the smaller kite last week. Again, it was very easy to step that up to 36 or 37 and it felt as though there was plenty of speed left if need be, but I never aim for outright speed).

One other win, which I was sensing but hadn't mentioned it as I wasn't sure - I am fairly convinced that the T1 is a good option if you have sea weed issues. It was onshore today and there was quite a bit of weed around and I didn't get knocked off once, which I normally do eventually. I think the combination of being able to quickly swerve out of the way and the lack of a wide stabiliser is the key - I did hit quite a few larger clumps but it never stuck. The 483 (I think) stabiliser on the Onda 633 was terrible at picking up seaweed and it would ruin the odd session. The Armstrong is much better with the V200 tail but I still collected weed on the HS850 occasionally, but I have yet to actually have any weed stuck on the T1. I think it is just too blunt and the angles are all helping to dump it.

100km on the T1 over the past week and I have enjoyed every single meter of it. I am really looking forward to the summer 8)
These users thanked the author joe f for the post:
Oldman_Dave (Mon May 16, 2022 2:15 am)
Rating: 3.03%

joe f
Medium Poster
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2

Postby joe f » Sun May 15, 2022 7:19 pm

LOL - can you guess when I started to try foot switching?

(GPS speed tracking of session this afternoon)

40mins of not coming off foil followed by some pretty decent crashes...

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun May 15, 2022 7:54 pm

I got one, and it's less pitch stable than my Moses 633/483, but it's not hard to ride, and I got up and going - a bit unsteady- on my very first try.

I thought it was going to be super difficult to make foot switches on, but I made a couple on my third session.

I've switched back to using my Moses 633 this week, because we had some days in the low to mid 20's (knots) but I am very much looking forward to trying the Triton out more.

I have it on a 71cm Moses strut. I think it might be easier if I had a longer strut, because one of the first things I noticed is that it seems to lift like crazy, especially if I only have one foot holding it down.

I'm slow and clumsy, but minor adjustment to my technique and trying to move through things quickly seems to help.

I can't help thinking that one day even I could master it...

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon May 16, 2022 12:01 am

Trent hink wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:54 pm
one of the first things I noticed is that it seems to lift like crazy, especially if I only have one foot holding it down.
I don't find that, it feels fairly neutral to me - goes where it's pointed. Possibly try shifting it back further in the tracks so that your weight is further forward?

Return to “Hydrofoil”