Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 16, 2022 1:02 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:01 am
Trent hink wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:54 pm
one of the first things I noticed is that it seems to lift like crazy, especially if I only have one foot holding it down.
I don't find that, it feels fairly neutral to me - goes where it's pointed. Possibly try shifting it back further in the tracks so that your weight is further forward?
I'm old and slow and have no talent, so I get by on failure followed by repetition.

It's for sure different from from what I am used to, but even I sort-of already have a grasp on it....

I found that I had to move it almost all the way forward in my track to find a neutral feeling, whereas with my Moses 633/483 I like it mounted close to all the way back.

But it's possible that my strut is a bit wonky on the mounting surface, so maybe I have it mounted it at a slight angle that is a bit too low at the back.

At any rate, I need to spend more time with it in order to have any firm opinion.

My initial thought, is that if I can master it, I could potentially outperform my Moses 633.
Last edited by Trent hink on Mon May 16, 2022 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
TritonFoils (Mon May 16, 2022 1:36 am)
Rating: 3.03%

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon May 16, 2022 1:35 am

Trent,

I am not buying the old, and slow and no talent! :)

One key thing about the T1 monowing is your back foot position.

It should be lined up with the leading edge of the mast or more forward than you would have had your back foot riding a traditional foil.

In short, you don't want to straddle the T1 with your foot on either side of the wing, spread out and far apart.

The T1 likes a narrower riding stance with again your back foot just slightly ahead of the centre of the base plate.

Hope this helps!

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils.
www.tritonfoils.com
These users thanked the author TritonFoils for the post:
Trent hink (Mon May 16, 2022 1:41 am)

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cglazier » Mon May 16, 2022 2:15 am

I am having no trouble with it and I never moved my mast position. I use footstraps and everything seems well balanced on my board when I use the mono wing. I do have to be more careful with my foot switches because it is less pitch stable than a normal rig.. but not really a problem.
The one thing I do notice is that it is not ideal in really light wind like 10 knots or less. No foil wing can do everything.
😉
CG

Willy1234
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Bavaria
Style: Foil Freestyle
Gear: Duotone, Naish, Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby Willy1234 » Mon May 16, 2022 6:01 pm

cglazier wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 2:15 am
I am having no trouble with it and I never moved my mast position. I use footstraps and everything seems well balanced on my board when I use the mono wing. I do have to be more careful with my foot switches because it is less pitch stable than a normal rig.. but not really a problem.
The one thing I do notice is that it is not ideal in really light wind like 10 knots or less. No foil wing can do everything.
😉
CG
Sorry but that is not right. If you change the mast position , you have a way more stable foil. I ride it from 5 knots to open end. Today I started pumping in 5 knots with my 13m juice dlab. I ended my session at 20kts. That was the point where the power of the 13m has been to much for relaxed foiling.
These users thanked the author Willy1234 for the post:
gl (Tue May 17, 2022 11:53 am)

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 pm

joe f wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:13 pm

Hahaha - I wish I was closer to the 70kg mark! I am the wrong side of 90kg (by a couple!) these days and that is me first thing in the morning at home, so god only knows what I am hitting in a winter wetsuit / boots / harness etc.

Interestingly, I also only ride toe side. I really need to change that and actually spent some time today forcing myself to ride goofy (I was predictably bad, having really not given that any focus for a couple of years). To tell the truth, I was pointing higher when sailing 'properly'...

Re: the peaks - they are definitely different and definitely work best when powered. That said, they can be surprisingly grunty and respond well to being flown hard. I actually find them to be best when you have to loop fairly agressively to get up and running.....

Personally, I have not found the T1 to be power hungry at all. I put it pretty much exactly where the 633 was, which has a great bottom end. I find it easiest to try to power straight on to the foil rather than plough through the water building up speed. Again, I find that fairly easy to do flying the Peaks hard but often get yanked over the front when trying to do the same with the Souls, which have a much bigger spike. Each to their own, but I personally prefer having to work the kite harder but obviously need a quicker kite.

I was on my 5m Peak today (after a couple of 9m Soul and one 4m Peak sessions) and it was another cracking session. Probably around 12kts (guessing - a few whitecaps but it was fairly light. 14m LEIs were struggling on twin tips and windsurfers were on 8m sails) but I had more than enough power to fly around and I found I was cruising in the low 30s (km/h) rather than the high 20s I was doing on the smaller kite last week. Again, it was very easy to step that up to 36 or 37 and it felt as though there was plenty of speed left if need be, but I never aim for outright speed).
Geez Joe you actually sound a lot like me in terms of how and what you ride.

I've ridden peak 4's near exclusively for coming up on 2 years with a range of axis wings. I'm very familiar with wringing the most out of them, although my technique tends to be 3-4 loops in one direction before reversing for the same number, just to keep the lines untangled. And sometimes when you loop a few times in one direction, there is enough tension for the opposite fly across to get you going.

You seem to be making more power than me, 5m p4 in 12kts would need a bigger wing for me, like my HPS930. I would not be comfortable on the T1 until maybe 15kts. This would show as struggling to make much ground upwind - to others I'd probably look like I'm cruising pretty well. Till a mate comes out and zig zags away upwind. It could be conditions as some of my most common spots either have swell pushing downwind or strong tidal flow. Possibly if you're colder (you mention a winter wetsuit) the wind packs more punch - typically 25 degrees ish here in the day time as we start winter. I know warmer air is less dense but I'm not sure how strong the real world difference is. Maybe I just need more skills...

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 am

13m Peak 4 in 7/8 knots works quite well for me on the monowing. Just don't gybe, the Peak 13m is too slow unless you down loop, and then you need to hang on for dear life.
I just get to the end of my run, jump off, turn the board around and go the other way.

The 13m Peak 4 is a monster.

Axis1050
Medium Poster
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Caves Beach
Favorite Beaches: All
Style: Windwing
Gear: Moses
, Naish, BRM Cloud and Axis

Postby Axis1050 » Tue May 17, 2022 8:45 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 am
13m Peak 4 in 7/8 knots works quite well for me on the monowing. Just don't gybe, the Peak 13m is too slow unless you down loop, and then you need to hang on for dear life.
I just get to the end of my run, jump off, turn the board around and go the other way.

The 13m Peak 4 is a monster.
I have never seen that, I think someone else is using your name 🤔

joe f
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2

Postby joe f » Tue May 17, 2022 11:30 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:55 pm
Possibly if you're colder (you mention a winter wetsuit) the wind packs more punch - typically 25 degrees ish here in the day time as we start winter. I know warmer air is less dense but I'm not sure how strong the real world difference is.
That would definitely make a difference in my humble opinion. There is definitely less power in the kite when I am in somewhere nice and hot. Personally, I would rather work harder to make a smaller wing work, but I have never really had a huge front wing to really explore that approach. I have been on the Armstrong HS850 recently, but had the 633 for a couple of years before that. I am finding the T1 to be similar to the 633 in terms of bottom end, which is more than enough for my needs, but I haven't really had any really light wind sessions on it yet. Will try a lower wind peak session when I can and see if I struggle.

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Thu May 19, 2022 3:54 pm

Hey there,

Kiteforum.com users have been asking us for an explainer video for the newly release FULL Triton T1 monofoil for kite foiling.

Your wish is our command! :)

Let us know if the video answers your questions or if there is other information we should be providing.

Thank for sharing the stoke.

Rudy @TritonFoils

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster

Postby TritonFoils » Fri May 20, 2022 1:26 pm

Hey T1 Monofoilers!

Some of you have been asking us if the T1 monofoil is good for TOW-in surfing on swell.

Well, thanks to Filipe @kiteboardingparadisehawaii in Hawaii we now have some video with promise of more to come.

Wow.... Remember Filipe is riding this swell with no rear stabilizer and no fuselage.

Watch here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdxL7w8D ... _copy_link
CaptureTOW.JPG
CaptureTOW.JPG (23.56 KiB) Viewed 582 times
and, here: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CdxfCD2D ... _copy_link
CaptureTOWII.JPG
CaptureTOWII.JPG (32.83 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Well I guess we can put a big check mark "yes" on T1 monowing as TOW-in surf foil.

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils.

Return to “Hydrofoil”