Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby joe f » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:08 am

6 month review time....

I took the plunge and ordered the T1 just before our summer season kicked off and have spent many happy hours riding the T1. I have already shared my initial thoughts but hoped it may be useful to update after clocking up more miles on foil.

To be brutally honest, the stoke just grows and grows. I love this foil and have enjoyed getting to know it so well. For me personally, its top qualities are:
-slipperiness through the water : you just don't feel any drag and everything is super smooth. You have to try it to appreciate it, but it really does shine here
-its playfulness : it really is loose and is crying out to be thrown around, although you can carve long drawn out turns too
-the speed range : it isn't the fastest foil out there but easily fast enough for my freeride blasting. The really amazing bit is how slow you can go if you want to as well. This really makes a difference if you want to slow down to catch a swell.
-ease of transport : I think this is underestimated. I used to have a bike mount on the back of my car for the foilboard. No biggie, but it is MUCH nicer just throwing the whole thing in the back seat of my car (I have a SS dwarfcraft 100)
-build quality : I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I piled into a sewer pipe (lovely UK......) at a decent speed and seemed to have been a reef magnet on a trip to Egypt in August, so my T1 has taken a pasting. There are some cosmetic marks, but it is otherwise absolutely perfect, so a massive credit to its strength despite being light weight. Really impressive and not something that I have seen commented on before.

I honestly struggle to find any negatives, for my personal style of kitesurfing. It ticks all the boxes I look for. I think that a high aspect traditional foil would be a better option if you want to race or are obsessed with pumping, but I am not either of those. It isn't the cheapest and is obviously a leap of faith, but I have never regretted it and have no plans on selling it (which is a risk with a less well known brand / entity, as resale value could be a problem).

I have been riding Flysurfer Peaks for the past couple of years, which are amazing but have held me back on learning some basics like foot swaps - they are low on lift and I love riding toeside, so got lazy. I only took Souls to Egypt (6m and 9m) and learned to foot change in a few sessions, so the T1 is definitely stable enough to do that. The Soul does help as there is a lot of lift, but I didn't struggle with stability on the board. I honestly think that it is more pitch stable than the Armstrong HS850 I had beforehand (although I had the V200 tail on that - brilliant fun and an excellent stepping stone to mono wing, but not the most pitch stable), so it is a good learning platform. I don't think it would be great as a very first foil, but that really needs something super easy (which rapidly gets boring).

I know I sound like an advert, but have no link with Triton. I have a tendency to support the underdog but this really is a special piece of kit. I haven't seen / heard of any others in the UK and it was an object of curiosity in Egypt, so they are thin on the ground, but deserve to be a consideration in every freeride foiler's shed.

Thank you Triton for a brilliant piece of engineering :-)
These users thanked the author joe f for the post (total 4):
bragnouff (Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:20 am) • anotheroldguy (Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:56 pm) • noahsw (Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:00 am) • diogoveb (Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:49 am)
Rating: 12.12%

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:59 pm

I have to say Joe may 6 month review would be much the same as yours. It's still my go to foil and I have other complete pocket board & foil assemblies sitting there gathering dust.

Interesting to see whether you go back to the Peaks. I'm 100kgs and found that without being on an oversize wing, the Peaks weren't delivering quite enough power. The T1 likes a little more power on the low end, but also can also easily hold down power on the upper end, ie I'm comfortable when overpowered. I have moved to other kites and a more powered up riding style. In hindsight that is probably to suit the T1.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:03 am

And here mine sits in a warehouse in Detroit. C’mon UPS!

joe f
Medium Poster
Local Beach: UK
Style: Old School
Gear: Flysurfer Soul
Flysurfer Peak 4
Triton T1
Slingshot UFO V2

Postby joe f » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:49 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:59 pm
Interesting to see whether you go back to the Peaks. I'm 100kgs and found that without being on an oversize wing, the Peaks weren't delivering quite enough power. The T1 likes a little more power on the low end, but also can also easily hold down power on the upper end, ie I'm comfortable when overpowered. I have moved to other kites and a more powered up riding style. In hindsight that is probably to suit the T1.
I have actually just pulled the trigger on a couple of UFOS and am *hoping* that they may feel somewhere between the Peak and the Soul. I agree 100% with you that you can hold down power very easily on the T1. I was using the 6m Soul in pretty chunky winds in Egypt (twin tips on 7m and powered) and felt comfortable. I don't think anything will match the drift of the peaks, but my son has just started kitesurfing, so I am carrying a pump around now anyway so thought I should try the UFO.....

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:38 pm

"...this really is a special piece of kit..."

"...the stoke just grows and grows. I love this foil and have enjoyed getting to know it so well."

"...you just don't feel any drag and everything is super smooth..."

"Thank you Triton for a brilliant piece of engineering..."

Thank you Joe F for the kudos. So glad you are enjoying your T1 monofoil.

For all those freestyle riders out there looking for that new piece of gear that is going to up your game, we have a limited time Halloween deal currently underway!

For $1999 USD you get our custom all carbon 87 pocket board, full T1 foil system including mast, wing, baseplate, covers and hardware.

That is $350 USD off retail.

Grab a T1 complete foil plus board before October 30 and ride into Halloween looking like a bat out of hell.

Drop us a line anytime at sales@tritonfoils.com.

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils.

Bertie
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Bertie » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:05 pm

Triton T1 reviews are like London buses; you wait for days and then 3 come all at the same time.
I bought my T1 after reading Joe f’s first review and it exceeded all my expectations. I kept meaning to write something on here, but his latest description sums it up perfectly. I am probably one of the least experienced foilers to get one and I’ve had no problems. We took a non kiter and a twin tip rider on the monofoil behind a boat the other day and they were both up and riding in minutes so it’s not as difficult as some might be thinking.
To sum up it’s easy to travel with, ride, turn, go fast or slow, and has a super smoooth feel. Illnesses has stopped me at the moment but I can’t wait to get going again.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:58 pm

For us "outsiders" it is still a mystery how well it works :roll:

Have read nothing but amazing reviews here, so it could be like Peak kites, almost noone have tried these thus few "followers", and once you try, almost everyone but a few goes crazy about it :rollgrin:

So it could be the natural slow adaption to new things.

Or there could be some downsides which works against it.

OR, some are working against new products not in their lineup (I dont believe in this myself, would just mention this)

Quite interesting where this ends up, I am not pro nor con so impartial :D

8) Peter

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:19 pm

Last day to grab Triton's Halloween special and kite foil on the spookiest day of the year on the meanest looking ride in town.

For $1999 USD you get our custom all carbon 87 pocket board, full T1 foil system including mast, wing, baseplate, covers and hardware.

That is $350 USD off retail.

Email us at sales@tritonfoils.com and we will get you set up!

Rudy, Co-Founder, Triton Foils.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:30 am

First ride with the Naish Microchip yesterday.. great pair - this combo will definitely keep my gear addiction at bay for a long time. :thumb:

These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
IWantToFly (Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:50 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”