KVL
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Triton Foils releases the first accessible monowing: Triton T1

Postby KVL » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:32 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:55 pm
We are weight freaks too. :)

When you lose your fuselage and rear stabilizer you save not only a lot of weight but space too. Monofoils are a great travel option as in no more oversized bag fees.

Here is an extreme set up one of our riders created.

Beam me up Scotty!

Rudy @tritonfoils
I like the idea of your foil, and that you challenge existing brands, foils and methods.

But your statement that oversized bags, savings in space and weights I don't follow.. Maybe if you count rhe pieces.

But a simple Moses 633, 483 and fuselage is 1550 g. Your T1 is 1300g, so yes it's 250 g lighter. By the way, we need to add the Moses mast adapter and the extra screws.. A carbon fuselage would make it 1000 g... But the T1 is fairly bigger in size compared to the 633. Of course there are foils there are bigger or smaller.

So is it really that smaller and lighter... Maybe if you compare to an old big alu foil, but not compared to many other brands from this decade, even they use fuselage and stabilizer. Or was it just a typo?.. :)

I don't pay extra fees for my foil..

Though, I will still be looking forward for the day where I can try the T1.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:44 pm

My experience with the T1 foil (& other foils, for that matter) is that "weight" is not a huge factor. I have used the T1 with a heavy Slingshot alu mast. The combination is very light seeming - that's partly because there's no "swing weight" from front & back wings at the end of a fuselage. This is true both on land & in the water. The combo floats on its side forever, and I have a feeling that using a very light carbon mast with the T1 might not actually be a benefit.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
TritonFoils (Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:44 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyhardsoft
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Vada - Italy
Style: Freestlye Freeride
Gear: newind 110 w633 M91 Kiteh FRS 6
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flyhardsoft » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:13 pm

extraterrestrial

TritonFoils
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 0
Local Beach: Ontario, Canada
Style: Freestyle Foil & Foil Surf
Gear: T1 Monowing by Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: Triton Foil - www.tritonfoils.com

Postby TritonFoils » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:12 pm

KVL wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:32 pm
TritonFoils wrote:

When you lose your fuselage and rear stabilizer you save not only a lot of weight but space too. Monofoils are a great travel option as in no more oversized bag fees.

Beam me up Scotty!

Rudy @tritonfoils
I like the idea of your foil, and that you challenge existing brands, foils and methods.

But your statement that oversized bags, savings in space and weights I don't follow.. Maybe if you count rhe pieces.

But a simple Moses 633, 483 and fuselage is 1550 g. Your T1 is 1300g, so yes it's 250 g lighter. By the way, we need to add the Moses mast adapter and the extra screws.. A carbon fuselage would make it 1000 g... But the T1 is fairly bigger in size compared to the 633. Of course there are foils there are bigger or smaller.

So is it really that smaller and lighter... Maybe if you compare to an old big alu foil, but not compared to many other brands from this decade, even they use fuselage and stabilizer. Or was it just a typo?.. :)

Agreed. The board decides if you are going to oversized. That said the TI set up is pretty light. The wing come in at about 1.3kg. The adapter is 200g. Add a Moses M92
mast at say 2.5kg and I doubt u can find much out there that comes in sub 4.5kg. Possibly the Alpine Foil 80cm Rave Air but would love to know what else people have found in the way of a complete foil at say sub 5kg?

I’d go one further and ask does anyone know a full foil + board that comes in at sub 6.5kg or 15lbs? This will be the total weight of the T1 on our Newind custom pocket board (pics below) fitted with a Moses 91cm mast.

For those of you doing the math that allows about 16kg or 35lbs for kites and gear before u are headed to the oversized luggage counter and extra baggage fees :)

Rudy @tritonfoils
Attachments
E9F60AA9-ACC6-45E8-8E58-59E30AAA5A3E.jpeg
DCF28E76-30CE-430F-B546-7F00598A9A8D.jpeg

KVL
Medium Poster

Postby KVL » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 pm

TritonFoils wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:12 pm
KVL wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:32 pm
TritonFoils wrote:

Beam me up Scotty!

Rudy @tritonfoils

Agreed. The board decides if you are going to oversized. That said the TI set up is pretty light. The wing come in at about 1.3kg. The adapter is 200g. Add a Moses M92
mast at say 2.5kg and I doubt u can find much out there that comes in sub 4.5kg. Possibly the Alpine Foil 80cm Rave Air but would love to know what else people have found in the way of a complete foil at say sub 5kg?

I’d go one further and ask does anyone know a full foil + board that comes in at sub 6.5kg or 15lbs? This will be the total weight of the T1 on our Newind custom pocket board (pics below) fitted with a Moses 91cm mast.

For those of you doing the math that allows about 16kg or 35lbs for kites and gear before u are headed to the oversized luggage counter and extra baggage fees :)

Rudy @tritonfoils
Sure,
A standard Moses Fluente 91, fuselage, 633 and 483 is just under 3500 g. Add a pocket board is 2000 g, total 5500 g / 5,5 kg.

My custom made Moses foil, is just 2250 g for full foil, add 2000 g for the boards, surely less if moving from 100 cm to 90 cm pocket board.
We hit less than 4500 g / 4.5 kg in total.

So with all the kits Moses has sold, there should be plenty of foils in the world being around 6.5 kg or less.

Regarding luggage fee, isn't typical limits 23 kg - at least in EU.

Triton, the new board you have announced - why dou you make these thick and fragile boards - why do you want all this volume in such a small pocket board. It takes a lot of space in the suitcase.. I thought your concent was to travel and foil light and simple?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:07 pm

KVL wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:55 pm

Sure,
A standard Moses Fluente 91, fuselage, 633 and 483 is just under 3500 g. Add a pocket board is 2000 g, total 5500 g / 5,5 kg.

My custom made Moses foil, is just 2250 g for full foil, add 2000 g for the boards, surely less if moving from 100 cm to 90 cm pocket board.
We hit less than 4500 g / 4.5 kg in total.

So with all the kits Moses has sold, there should be plenty of foils in the world being around 6.5 kg or less.

Regarding luggage fee, isn't typical limits 23 kg - at least in EU.

Triton, the new board you have announced - why dou you make these thick and fragile boards - why do you want all this volume in such a small pocket board. It takes a lot of space in the suitcase.. I thought your concent was to travel and foil light and simple?
What combination of board/foil/kite you choose is dependent on preference. My perspective: I use a (relatively) thick 106 cm board. I think the volume provides some benefits. Certainly, the majority of foilers are using boards larger than very thin sub 100cm pocket boards. On the other hand, I use Peak4 kites, which are extremely light & compact for traveling, so coming in under weight (with 4 Peak kites) when traveling is easy. The Triton foil is very light - but lightness is not the primary point of the T1 - the kind of performance it offers is the point. Using it with a heavy alu mast, I really didn't feel that being lighter would be an advantage.

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:19 pm

[/quote]

Ketos 118 Board with 3 wet footstraps, 90 cm Mast, WaveXL , S2 Stabi, mast&foilcover
Luggage scale said 5,95 kg
Jumpable combo since 3 years :naughty:

I tried the Triton with a heavy Slingshot mast and 3 kg board. On dry land it felt really heavy, on the water it was ok

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:50 pm

Breze wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:19 pm
Ketos 118 Board with 3 wet footstraps, 90 cm Mast, WaveXL , S2 Stabi, mast&foilcover
Luggage scale said 5,95 kg
Jumpable combo since 3 years :naughty:

I tried the Triton with a heavy Slingshot mast and 3 kg board. On dry land it felt really heavy, on the water it was ok
Weight is very significant when jumping. But I don't think the T1 is really designed for jumping. I had a super light LP foil for a while a couple of years ago. I didn't feel the light weight was helpful at the time (I was learning to jibe), although it would probably have been great for jumping. It was also great for carrying the foil to the beach! :)

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:54 pm

I like the mast track rear exit on those boards. I think maybe a Hungarian builder had a patent on something very similar, but the track was different and I never saw or read the actual patent.

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:29 am

So, triton guys, you have said that the part that connects to the mast is solid, so that you can "safely" drill it. Just a thought, but if that is the case why not make some versions to fit the Gong masts? I mean 3 x M6 can't be so much worse than 2 x M8. And it gives access to masts at a fraction of the cost (about EUR110 for a mast and plate). OK sure this makes no sense for North America but for the EU it would be perfect. Or are there technical reasons why this would not be possible - e.g. the holes are already built into the mold?
These users thanked the author merl for the post (total 2):
seppalord (Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:21 pm) • TritonFoils (Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:30 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”