Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: When did you get hooked on foiling?

Postby dirk8037 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:07 pm

Not completely hooked now but...
that is really put spot on.
>>Foiling has delivered short board lines in less than longboard conditions and I’m eternally grateful.<<

I have been yesterday on the lake.
As allways, due to the narrow wind windows we have, the Wind was slowing down but still had an almost knee high swell going out side an on a little point.
There were some Locals that really got it wired. They were zig zaging down the tiny lines with basically parked kite (no Peak!).
From land you would wonder what they had been going on. You see it from the near you are baffled.
Its looks definitally worth the training effort.

Later on I pulled the 13m just to splash around and naturally was kind of unsatisfied by the constant hustle upwind.
Though I still dont want to miss it in a way.

I had the discussion just the other day with a friend not foiling yet, who thought, that the lawn mowers on their foils, he mostly saw, where the most dull and uninspiring thing he could imagine.
Its all about the splashing. The falling in, being draged through the water, the spray, the bump and jump. That was always an important component also during windsurfing times and naturaly while surfing (geting tumpled, the duckdiving while getting cought by a set). I had in during vacation in Egmond/NL during a full on 8m day. Heavy duty rinse program. You cant beat that.
With the foil you do not really have and want that. Its surreal way removed from all that.

Its a bit like skiers and snowboarder. My wife (skier) never could understand why I wouldn´t mind all the falling (goofin arround, loosing edge in turnes, fall head first in powder).
She was proud that she never falls.

So the TT will stay, the 13m most likely not.

PS: When I started Kiting, and gave a away all the sails masts booms, I had this vision of being happy with one TT and 2 Kites - silly me.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:27 pm

Hooked immediately back in 2015. It took me a while to learn though.

Sensation of flight, feeling somewhere between flying Aladdin’s Magic Carpet and McFly’s hoverboard got me

5m UFO is my regular size now, 7m feels slow, 9m looks huge. Still keeping my TTs but rarely ride them. Sold my 15m Turbine, kept the 170x50 FlydoorXL (will sell it later to some huge dude who can cough up $1200 for that nearly new beauty which is not manufactured anymore)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:39 pm

I got hooked before I started, somewhere in 2012.

When I started shortly after, on a difficult high aspect French wing, my first thought was: "This CANT be right?" - as it seemed impossible and very instable in every way :cry:

I took it out in loads of wind and big waves now and then, and in calmer conditions too - NOONE else was hydrofoiling, so I had noone to ask and tried everything....

But suddenly it clicked, I started having controlled rides and later I could relax, and shortly after it was a new world, and have been ever since, windfoiling-kitefoiling-wingfoiling :thumb:

Of course it took some time back then, with noone else to ask - but today it goes quite fast with many social medias to learn from, and friends.

Which might have led you to think: THIS should be quite easy ! And feeling how difficult it was, you got "scared" - so too much "it is easy and how to" now ha haa!

My point is, keep on, it is NOT easy for most riders, but you will get it sooner or later and enter a new world of freedom and joy :D

8) Peter

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:17 am

I love this thread .
I built one of Clearwater hydrofoils out of va beach, which was a wood kit you glassed, and bolted to a wakeboard , because I was cheap .

As soon as I foiled , and heard the silence , I was hooked . Then when I realized the pointing ability , I was double Hooked . Then when I learned to surf the swell , …. And so on

Still like boost surfboard .but conditions have to be good now for me to get off the foil .

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Fri Sep 03, 2021 2:29 am

Three things.

One was the first carving foiling gybe onto a wave face. I'd been dicking around in light wind and could foil, more or less, but I went out in stronger winds with a small kite and slashed this turn and never looked back.

Second was landing a solid boost as my friends on kite surfboards chugged past. I'm sure my balls got bigger then.

Third was swooshing around on big wind blown chop with a tiny kite. A 45 knot blast came through and I barely noticed but all the other riders got slammed.

Absolutely a surfboard in quality surf is huge fun and my mental cinema has a scene of me blasting under a lip of a pitching wave. In all the imperfect conditions I get to ride in every day a foil wins hands down.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:21 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:20 am
I was hooked before I ever tried it. :)
The same with me.
Contacted a small Italian company called Moses. Does anybody remember it? ;)
Ordered the cult Silente in 2012. Went to Thailand without any other board and with only one goal to master foilboarding.
Mission has accomplished so well that today I refuse to ride wings to save all time for kitefoiling :)

richieski
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ever i am
Gear: Ozone

Postby richieski » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:49 am

This vid made me curious

So went for a week in Tarifa and did not take my boards and borrowed a friends foil.
Was up and planing both directions and that was that.

Love my SB sessions TT gets a dusting maybe once a year

I like the freestyle aspect.... trying duck tacks, 360's its a tough learning process that makes me want to go out every day.
Also having fun flying the small kites, looping etc.
Love riding parallel with other kiters then shooting off in a tangent that makes their minds boggle.
Seems SB and TT focus fun on the board but with foiling you can really play with the kite too.

9m is biggest kite i own and thats for the SB
7m for foil (largest size)
5.5m main kite for foil.
Need a 3.5 really now

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:52 pm

rnelias wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 pm
btw, I'd like to ask some tips to go faster on hydrofoil. I've already changed my learning wing from 1250 to 850 but it's not that easy to go beyong 35 km/h. It sounds physically weird as we can easily reach 40-45km/h on twin tips. What am I doing wrong? Should a go less upwind to have less resistance? I've already tried to "tune" the angle but I'm still struggling to reach higher speed.
I'm also after going fast rather than carving. My understanding is that going fast is a sum of many factors, skillset being the most important. At each skill level there is a sweet spot of the optimal equipment. For example, depending where you are in your progression, you may want to go down from 850 cm^2. But in my case, the jump 850->550 didn't work for quite some time, so that 650 cm^2 wing was delivering the most consistent performance.

A similar story is about the kite. 5 strut LEI is theoretically faster than lower AR kite 3 strut kite, but on my skill level the later drifts downwind better, and therefore is less prone to stalling and falling to the water.

Mast length is another contributing factor. Certainly, 110 cm mast is better suited to racing than 95 cm one... When you are comfortable riding it, as the center of the lift shifts awkwardly 15 cm down.

Therefore, to answer your question, if my current skillset is slightly above 20 knots max speed and sustained 15 knots per nautical mile, and I notice that other riders at http://regepe.com/ have much more impressive numbers, I'm sure it is the practice and water time rather than one magic trick and equipment.

Comparing HF speeds to the others I don't expect the number on the beam reach to be that different. XSports media has a video of one race where a windsurfer barged in into the final beam reach leg immediately after the leader. He was able to keep up the same pace!
Last edited by tegirinenashi on Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tegirinenashi for the post:
rnelias (Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:35 pm

These are magic famous words, that says it all:

Foiling has delivered short board lines in less than longboard conditions and I’m eternally grateful.

8) Peter

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:39 pm

To glide over the water only with the help of the wind is simply an indescribable feeling and a dream

Return to “Hydrofoil”