A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kitedicted
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Gear: Orbit 22 11/9
Brand Affiliation: None

When did you get hooked on foiling?

Postby Kitedicted » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:13 pm

I am up and riding pretty comfortably both directions but have yet to master turning/tacks. Learning was tricky and the feeling when I first got up was really cool, similair to the first time getting up on a twintip. Now I sort of have gotten used to the feeling and while cruising around is pleasant, I'm not sure if foiling is my thing. I don't want to quit too soon. How far into the process did it take for you to get hooked?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Re: When did you get hooked on foiling?

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:29 pm

I recommend going into every foil session with at least one new maneuver to practice and learn. If you are already riding comfortably in both directions, then go into every session with the goal of learning to jibe (heelside to toeside; toeside to heelside). If cruising around isn't exciting enough for you, then start working on your jumps (easy to boost, but difficult to land on foil).

I think I got hooked as soon as I could ride continuously without touching down (i.e., comfortable with all jibes and comfortable riding toeside or heelside). There is a lot to learn if you want to progress on hydrofoil. Most important, have fun!

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:33 pm

Kitedicted wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:13 pm
How far into the process did it take for you to get hooked?
For me I was hooked as soon as I could ride both directions, and realised that it was going to open up about 30% more days when I could ride... and not only that, but light winds days became FUN, rather than just mowing the lawn!
When I discovered single strut LEIs and foil kites this opened up a tonne more days when I could ride which was even better!

SolarSet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Hel Peninsula
Gear: This & that

Postby SolarSet » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:08 pm

I recently started as well and in my 11th session managed to gybe and ride switch levitating and being able to gybe gives foiling much more fun as you don't have to jump off board to change direction. Feeling of curving turn while levitating is gear too!
I find foiling in less than 18kts more fun than riding TT so far, still debating whether to upgrade gear this or next year.

Learning gybes is not easy thats for sure but I wouldn't give it up without first learning to gybe and ride switch

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:10 pm

Hooked after first flight 8)

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:14 pm

I never did, for me foiling is a light wind activity.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:16 pm

You just breached the surface of what is possible so I would not “give up” just yet.
Basically it is the same thing as a twintip where it only begins after you can stay upwind. Just like “mowing the lawn” isn’t exiting after doing that for a while.
Good news is that there are probably even more options to explore compared to a twintip!

* Wave riding with a surf catered foil.
Even 30cm waves can give a very surfy feeling!

* Freeride: gybes/tacks/pirouettes/sitting on the foil. Plenty accessible things to learn

* Jumping: especially in low winds it’s easier to do and you have no problem getting back upwind after the jump

* Racing, a whole separate world of its own

* Playing with the kite: since you can use a small kite with low power you can just play around with the kite. Loop it every way you like. Especially small single skins are very playful but also wave/foil oriented kites with some backstall tuned into them.

Off course it’s totally possible you just like to do something else but think about the wider options available before “giving up”
I personally love being able to slowly chip away at new things to learn which are reasonably accessible and as a bonus it is fun and works on days from 8kn and up expanding the amount of kiteable days.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post (total 2):
SolarSet (Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:25 pm) • andrzej351 (Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:35 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

bkkite
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Oyster Bay
Favorite Beaches: Dakhla
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR5 15m , xlite 12m, Nexus 2 9m, XR5 7m

Core Fusion 139, Slingshot Celero 5’8, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 110cm with a Hover Glide Foil and Apollo 60 front wing

Postby bkkite » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Just posted a video on this, but the sunset sessions on calmer days got me hooked, that was after being able to to Toeside to heel side carves and getting good enough to be able to ride confidently in lighter winds.

I was just going back and forth for a while with no ability to carve or tack or foot switch, and I ended up getting a much bigger wing (the Slingshot Infinity 76), and it made things so much easier. Took me a session or two to get carving turns down, and I never looked back.

Outside of that, just being on the water more days, and being able to cover a lot more ground and explore further than on my twin tip (way easier to go up wind) also got me hooked on it. The summers here are pretty light, so I'd rather foil than sit on my ass

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:32 pm

I've got hooked as soon as it opened me a new world of riding close to my home where winds are usually in the 8-12k range.

It also hooked me for the freedom while on water. Hydrofoil is actually the best definition of *freeride* as you can go back and forth without having to struggle to stay upwind. I confess that I don't have patience to ride upwing with tt anymore :lol:

I'm already jibing to both sides in both stances heel to toe and vice-vera but not switching feet yet.

btw, I'd like to ask some tips to go faster on hydrofoil. I've already changed my learning wing from 1250 to 850 but it's not that easy to go beyong 35 km/h. It sounds physically weird as we can easily reach 40-45km/h on twin tips. What am I doing wrong? Should a go less upwind to have less resistance? I've already tried to "tune" the angle but I'm still struggling to reach higher speed.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:20 am

I ran across this picture I took in San Francisco in 2015. I had never been kiteboarding. When I started all I wanted to do was go foiling like that guy. I was hooked before I ever tried it. :)

These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
TBBUK (Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”