Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Fonyód (Hungary), Aendorphin Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lefkada Milos Beach
Style: Big Air, Kiteloop
Gear: Board: RRD Style Biax v2
Kites: RRD Obsession 13.5m, 10.5m, 9m
Brand Affiliation: Kiteline, RRD

RaceFoil video analysis

Postby aendorphin » Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:07 pm

This is me kite foiling with a line mount. I would like to improve on the race discipline but I have nobody to train with. Can you please help me out spot my mistakes?

Conditions were tough as the wind had a major change on the lake on this day so the chops were causing several turbulences on the wings and the wind was gusty (in the background you can see clouds that weren't friendly at all).

Gear:
  • Board: Levitaz Raze
  • Foil: Levitaz R5
  • Kite: Flysurfer VMG2 15m
  • Bar: SK Shapes Prime Bar

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: RaceFoil video analysis

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:47 pm

I'm a mediocre beginner racer, but hey, I'll give you my best critique. I also usually don't have anyone to train with, I like the video idea. I wonder if I could get someone who lives farther away but is a better racer than me to do something similar.

Anyway, your tacks look nice and smooth. On the upwind all I see is that I bet you could get a bit better angle by getting lower and more forward on the board.

Downwind, particularly on the first gybe, you come up pretty far before heading into the footswitch. I do the same thing so don't have any great ideas no how to minimize that. I think more sheeting in through the foot switch may help you to get away without heading up so much into it. I need to practice the same skill, though.

Your footwork on the gybes isn't as smooth as through the tacks. You might find the gybes go smoother if you can get a single foot motion forward and then back instead of stopping halfway on the board.

Honestly though you look faster than me so I'm not sure I'm the one to be giving you advice. :)

aendorphin
Medium Poster

Postby aendorphin » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:47 pm
Anyway, your tacks look nice and smooth. On the upwind all I see is that I bet you could get a bit better angle by getting lower and more forward on the board.
Thank you for the critique I think everybody can help. I think I can bet better angles when it is not this choppy but I think my technique still needs some enhancements (so maybe I can get even better angles when it is not choppy). Do you mean that I should bend my forward leg more? So my weight gets more to the front of the board, and my center of gravity also gets lower?
tkaraszewski wrote:
Downwind, particularly on the first gybe, you come up pretty far before heading into the footswitch. I do the same thing so don't have any great ideas no how to minimize that. I think more sheeting in through the foot switch may help you to get away without heading up so much into it. I need to practice the same skill, though.
I see what you mean. I will focus on it but in these conditions, I really had to go for the "safe" way because it was hard to not crash.
tkaraszewski wrote:
Your footwork on the gybes isn't as smooth as through the tacks. You might find the gybes go smoother if you can get a single foot motion forward and then back instead of stopping halfway on the board.
Absolutely right. This may be my biggest mistake I have also pointed it out. I'll focus on it.
tkaraszewski wrote:
Honestly, though you look faster than me so I'm not sure I'm the one to be giving you advice. :)
I think I was really wanted to amaze my friends with my SOG (speed over ground) and it made a bad effect on my VMG (velocity made good), and on my maneuvers.

On this video my tacks' footwork seems okay, but in some cases I miss the rear strap and I just place my rear foot in front of the strap. After getting speed again I put my foot back to the strap. Does it happen to anyone else?

What I'm also interested in from some PROs:
  • Do I handle the depower rope well?
  • I'm I untwisting the bar well and at the right moment?
  • I would like to know more issues about my stance
  • Anything else I haven't though about?

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:16 pm

aendorphin wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 am
tkaraszewski wrote:
Honestly, though you look faster than me so I'm not sure I'm the one to be giving you advice. :)
I think I was really wanted to amaze my friends with my SOG (speed over ground) and it made a bad effect on my VMG (velocity made good), and on my maneuvers.

On this video my tacks' footwork seems okay, but in some cases I miss the rear strap and I just place my rear foot in front of the strap. After getting speed again I put my foot back to the strap. Does it happen to anyone else?
Here's a video of me. My anlges are better than yours, but your speeds are better. You can see I *always* tack with my back foot in front of the strap. This is something I want to work on this season - getting right into the strap out of tacks.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 pm

Not helpful to the op , but these are nice to watch , and I am interested to hear critiques
These users thanked the author vakiter for the post:
tkaraszewski (Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

aendorphin
Medium Poster

Postby aendorphin » Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:22 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:16 pm
Here's a video of me. My anlges are better than yours, but your speeds are better. You can see I *always* tack with my back foot in front of the strap. This is something I want to work on this season - getting right into the strap out of tacks.
I think you could have a wider stance.
vakiter wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 pm
Not helpful to the op, but these are nice to watch, and I am interested to hear critiques
I hope that as the European championship is over som PROs will get this video and can leave here a couple of words

DAnderson
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SWFL
Gear: 14.5 A Flite
8/5 A Roam
18/12 soul 11/9 av8
15/9 s3
ha725/195
ML B3

Postby DAnderson » Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:28 pm

Perhaps of interest, use of 360 camera & vr for training/analysis.

Return to “Hydrofoil”