A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Matty V
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sanding my wing is safe?

Postby Matty V » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:29 pm

That is why it’s unsafe .. if you have to ask it’s highly likely to get it wrong

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Oct 31, 2021 8:10 pm

Good answer, and if you are sanding into the carbon then it is really unsafe from a health point of view. Do it outside, use water, and wear a dust mask
Matty V wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:29 pm
That is why it’s unsafe .. if you have to ask it’s highly likely to get it wrong

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:55 am

So I can see very different opinions, now I really dont know where to sand or not. Thanks all of you for your points of view

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: New Brighton- nr Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough
lake Como (Italy)
Style: hydro foiler since 2017
Gear: Groove Skate 110cm custom graphics, 2021 edition
groove skate 110cm pro,2022, custom graphics
101cm SAB Moses mast
and wings 633 and the new 670 race set on the red fuse
TTip's Nobile and North/136/134
Ozone Chrono V4 11mtr,
Core kites, Nexus V2s, 9mtr 11mtr/ 7mtr switchblade
Cabrinha trimlite bar
Duotone click bars, 2022, my own custom made lines
Ozone V4 click in bar, my own custom made lines
race lines and standard bar lines made up to any length any strength
most colours available, red-black-gold-vivid blue-pale blue
lines of all strengths, depower+ power lines fitted, just ask me.
free fitting service with quick turnaround

Postby Foil » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:52 am

JoseTumaco wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:55 am
So I can see very different opinions, now I really dont know where to sand or not. Thanks all of you for your points of view
best tip I ever got from the race tech guy who was tuning race foils for the flysurfer team in person on the beach at Fuerteventura, and this makes a big difference to my wings and masts, in terms of stability and being able to push through speed limits that can be felt quite easily if you don't bother, and so many don't bother, you don't need to be a racer to get the benefits, I don't race, but I push for to the maximum limits especially loading up for a boost.
he could see I was interested and took the time to explain and show me how he checks and tunes foiling surfaces to maximise smooth silent wobble free high speed movement through the water, and this applies to any foil design, 633 or race or any other well made foil gear,
look at the water gloss test.
basically run clean water over the surface of the wings and mast,
holding the surface at a steep angle quickly pour the water down from the top edge, sweeping the water pour rate from one side to the other and then stop and watch the flow carefully, you are looking for a mirror finish for a second or two, no break in the sheen,
water which breaks away leaving a dry patch is bad,
this needs to be fixed/removed, water not sticking to the surface will disturb the water flow whilst sailing, and the foils or mast might then stall the foil as speed as pressure increases as you push through the water, either as a sudden crash out, vibration, wobbles, or an out of control feeling at higher speed,
any areas of the working surfaces that show a break in the water sheen test need attention to get the water to stick and create that glossy mirror sheen when wetted from tip to tip and edge to edge, two ways to fix this problem.
for me after a minor repair then gentle 800 to 1200 wet sanding using an appropriate size foam sanding support for the paper, I look at creating an even matt finish over the full area, testing for water sheen often to ensure I don't rub away more than I need to.
For daily maintenance I always wash down my carbon surfaces with fresh clean water and dry off using a soft clean small towel before placing in the covers.
However before each session I spray all my carbon bits with Tesco glass cleaner, handy spray bottle of the cheap unscented stuff, light spray on and buff dry with super clean uncontaminated micro fibre cloths, kept dry and clean in a snap box in the car away from sand or sun cream fingers, these cloths are washed regularly, this simple and quick routine really works, and having the basic cleaning kit handy all the time, its great to use after some numpty handles my foil with his/her greasy fingers, or removing that oily gummy marking I find on my surfaces after hitting that gooey sort of seaweed, not removing these contaminates will result in weird foil behaviour as speed increases, but so easy to sort.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 2):
Oldman (Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:54 pm) • JoseTumaco (Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:24 am)
Rating: 13.33%

Lamilu
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo, Fone Bandit S2, Mirrage Foil, Surf Foil convertible

Postby Lamilu » Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:44 pm

A how to video would help…
Anyone?

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:31 am

In my mind, it’s not much of an issue, unless you need to be a fraction of a second faster than the guy you are racing against.

My Moses/Sabfoil 633 front wing and the accompanying stabilizer were pretty badly scratched up by the previous owner.

After I glazed over the surfaces with Bondo brand “spot putty” and wet sanded them down to 400 grit, I’d like to think I saw a very real improvement on my ability to ride in marginal conditions, but maybe nothing to write home about.

On the other hand, if you are super competitive and need that extra couple of seconds of course speed to eek out a win, I can easily see where it might be totally worth going nuts about it.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:13 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

vakiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:51 am

I did similar things and had same reaction as Trent . I ride at free ride speed .

Return to “Hydrofoil”