Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sanding my wing is safe?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: Sanding my wing is safe?

Postby abel » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am

My 633 wing lost the transparent glossy look on the part that you see the carbon fibers on top of the wing and it felt kind of rough,... like the fibers were sticking out a bit. It was not abrasion given that its a part that doesn't touch sand and it was exactly on the shape contour of the grafics
I sanded it and painted with thin layer of yacht varnish.
Looks good and not feeling any issues while riding.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby cor » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:35 am

abel wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am
I think you missed the topic of this thread here. If you varnished it after, you lost every advantage of sanding a foil.

Michaelr123
Medium Poster
Weight: 175lb
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: 14m apollo, 12m NV, 11m boxer, 9m moto, 7m apollo
cabrinha Ace 141cm, 3'6" dwarf craft /w moses w800/s421

Postby Michaelr123 » Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:17 pm

derek440 wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:18 am
I sand my race foils and use a variety of paper but finish with 1200 or 1500 but different water needs different grit to be stable, fast and performant. I also tried sanding my moses onda surf foil but i just sanded the bottom surface so the top still looks nice, not sure it made any difference to the ride, maybe a little, it was ventilating quite a bit due to some scratches etc before I sanded it. I used 800 grit wet and dry paper on the moses.
Derek,

if you don't mind me asking, how do you determine what grit to use for the water condition? is it a salt/fresh water situation or is it more complicated than that? I never would have thought that really small changes like sanding grit or wing size and shape changing by 50cm^2 would make that much of a difference, but now that I've experienced it first hand I totally get it, it's like having a tuning fork running through the water.

derek440
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Favorite Beaches: Coogee
Style: Frothing the foils
Gear: Surf kites, strapless surfboards, foil gear, foil kites
Brand Affiliation: Gin/Flymaax dealer for Australia

Postby derek440 » Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:12 am

Yeah when you first start out everyone thinks it won't make a difference but the surface that is supporting everything is vital especially when you are putting lots of force through it. There are loads of theories about sanding and which water for which paper, mostly I listen to others and use trial and error. Personally I tend to lean towards using easier paper to work with like 800, but now I am spending more $ on my foil I am reluctant to cut into it too much so am using finer paper like 1200 on my race foil but have only ever used 800 on the moses 633. Another thing with race foils is that now they often come race sanded which is the case for my latest foil the levitaz R5 with that foil I am just cleaning it carefully after every use and putting it back in the covers, one of the things with sanding is when you have the foil working well (almost no ventilation and stable and good feel) then you just clean it and keep it the same until somethings changes.

As an interesting side point at the recent foiling world championships the craftsman who makes the worlds other fastest foil - the Chubanga V3 was there in a boat sanding foils for the top pros between races! Crazy.

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:00 pm

cor wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:35 am
abel wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:56 am
I think you missed the topic of this thread here. If you varnished it after, you lost every advantage of sanding a foil.
Thanks Abel for that information, can you explain why varnishing makes loosing the advantage of sanding? You mean thant it is not necesary to do anything else after sanding?. Thanks.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:36 am

Jose
Long before kiteboarding, sailors discovered that lightly sanding the hulls and rudders of their boats reduced the drag and increased their speed. This worked. Now all kiteboarding racers know to sand their foils to maximize performance. But it is an active discussion as to exactly which grit of wet sandpaper to use and just how best to do it.

For refence it is similar to the reason golf balls are made with dimples rather than being smooth.

In my opinion many (probably most) recreational kiteboarders will not notice much difference.

But be assured that there is no need to reapply a glossy finish to your foil after a repair. The glossy finish on new foils is just about appearance, not performance.

;-) CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post (total 2):
JoseTumaco (Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:36 am) • Peter_Frank (Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:58 am)
Rating: 6.06%

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:20 am

Golf ball is wrong example and very often used. Ball is one of least aero/hydro/dynamic shape. Dimple make flow around more turbulent to mitigate shape resistance. It doesnt work same way on streamlined and especially laminar profiles. Also sanding hulls is mostly anecdotal and not scientific proven. Sportsmen have lots of habits to help them win - lots of them are woodoo. There was article about this from expert aerodynamic engineer from lockheed martin but im lazy to find it. Sanding may work but from different reason than dimples on golf ball
These users thanked the author tomtom for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:56 pm

I’m just wandering if anyone has actually measured before and after “ Full foil sanding “ to see what difference it makes to actual speed

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:22 pm

If you have to ask the question if it’s safe, then no probably not

The variations of suggestion are indexation that’s it’s best left alone or you are highly likely to bugger up a decent foil.

You are better off keeping it clean and free of finger prints, grease and sun cream

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:56 pm

What i dont think has been discussed here is the possibility of you sanding the wing too much and thus removing carbon, exposing the core and damaging the foil.

This is a particular risk around trailing and leading edges.

Return to “Hydrofoil”