Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Wavefoiling in Central CA in November?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Wavefoiling in Central CA in November?

Postby lezo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:55 am

I will have a professional event at Ventura Beach in the second week of November with a couple of free days after that. Will have my wavefoiling gear with me, with my Peak4 8m I can surf the swell starting from 8kts. Looking about to drive up the coast a little, I have never been there, do you have any recommendations?

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Wavefoiling in Central CA in November?

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Yeah, be careful wave foiling in the ocean with an 8m Peak.

Consider myself quite capable and take all sorts of calculated risks where I'm familiar, but when it comes to new spots, especially ocean spots, its all scales back to reliable conditions. Have outrun and dropped a 10m LEI in light wind/big swell and it was a nightmare getting that kite out of the break. Can't imagine inviting that sort of episode with an 8m Peak! Nah man, doubt I would ever even put up the 6m if the waves had any size at all. 5m conditions (12 knots an up) at the very least for a new ocean side spot with any kind of swell.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
lezo (Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Re: Wavefoiling in Central CA in November?

Postby lezo » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:48 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:37 pm
Yeah, be careful wave foiling in the ocean with an 8m Peak.

Consider myself quite capable and take all sorts of calculated risks where I'm familiar, but when it comes to new spots, especially ocean spots, its all scales back to reliable conditions. Have outrun and dropped a 10m LEI in light wind/big swell and it was a nightmare getting that kite out of the break. Can't imagine inviting that sort of episode with an 8m Peak! Nah man, doubt I would ever even put up the 6m if the waves had any size at all. 5m conditions (12 knots an up) at the very least for a new ocean side spot with any kind of swell.
Thanks for the advice! The 8m is only the lightwind kite, I will have the 5m and 3m Peak4s as well! I'm also quite experienced in ocean wave surfkiting with LEIs, but for this minitrip I will pack light and expect only to go to ride the swell, not surfing in the break.
These users thanked the author lezo for the post:
jumptheshark (Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”