Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Push the limits

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:24 pm

The trouble I find with lei's in light wind is that they don't hang in the air sub 8 knots, You have to actively fly them. Stuff something up sub 8 knots and crash the kite there is no relaunching not matter what kite you have.

My personal kite of choice is a Gen 1 12m chrono which is more like the newer R1. That monster gets me going around 6 knots.

Note. I haven't flown the latest bread of 1 or no strut lie's. That may be better at holding in the air. I have flown an 8m peak. Not sure what revision it was. But it was slow and lumbering and terrible upwind compared to the chrono. I flew both back to back in sparrow fart of wind, the chrono won hands down.

In saying all of that. These days I hardly ever desperation kite. I'd rather jump on my mountain bike and have way more fun!.

But in the stinking hot depths of summer when I feel like a cool zen session I dust of the chrono and bust out a glassy ultra-light wind session. I do admit when I do it, I do feel a little smug that im kiting and no one else is.

Regards

David

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:31 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:30 am
njrider wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:24 am
Hi. Well here is the good news, I got permission from management (my wife) to replace my beat up Naish boxers. The kite I use the most foiling is a 2017 9m. I really enjoy pushing the limits of riding and often go in 5-8knots of gusty nasty inland winds. Obviously sometimes this does not work out well. In any case, I'm looking for replacement kites and wanted suggestions. I think I'm stuck on LEI for the fact that water relaunches are more reliable. Thanks
I don't really understand your OP. You're looking to replace your beat up Naish Boxers - plural. So, you're not just talking about replacing one kite ... and presumably you're not just talking about light wind. Frankly, what I would use in 5 - 8 knots of gusty nasty inland winds is a bicycle. From what I've seen, it's possible to foil in 5 - 8 knots with a racing foil kite somewhere in the 15 - 21m size ... but that's in consistent "sea breeze" type wind. When the winds that low there's always the chance that it drops off for a while, in which case you're likely to be swimming in. I gusty inland conditions I think it's a waste of time.

8 - 10 knots opens up a variety of possibilities: 12m one strut or strutless, 12m + foil kite, 8m Peak. In my world, foiling starts at 10 knots when just about any reasonably light kite will do the job - in my case, a 6m Peak.

Agree, it does not make sense to replace with kites of the same type in different sizes, as the marginal wind kite and the "normal wind" kites - are usually two different types.

But I agree with njrider (the OP) that a LEI is better suited for his purpose - being far out and wind can drop fully.

For the same reason, if it is winter around the freezing point and wind sideshore, at least not so you can ride close to land, I prefer to use a light LEI, simply because I will not risk having to pack down even for a short distance to land, when close to zero degree water.

In his example, having a one strut superlight LEI means he can ride down to 7 knots, and if wind drops below riding wind, still possible to drag ashore easy and comfortable either looping or drifting on the water LE down.
If wind picks up, it is possible to launch in a gust.
If not, drift ashore, after having looped for while but it will finally drop, usually.

If you had a foil kite, no matter which type, you are screwed :roll:
You have to pack it down, as even if the wind comes back, it can not relaunch when fully wet.
The worst thing is, you also need a bigger board, as in my experience it is impossible to swim on a small board with a huge foilkite rolled up.

A one strut kite can be "swimmed" for shorter distances in zero wind - a strutless is useless if you want to drag it ashore, and it might, in almost zero wind, be unable to catch wind in the canopy like a 1 strut can, so no chance for drifting ashore now.

I understand njrider's desire fully, and if it is for hydrofoiling only, yes he could get the same kites in the smaller ones too.

8) Peter

njrider
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby njrider » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:19 pm

Okay - based on feedback, I'm going with a
10m- Ozone Aplha 1
or
9m - 2020 Boxer

Help me pick - PLEASE

njrider
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby njrider » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:37 pm

I should add that the Ozone Alpha is the v1

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:57 pm

What is your weight?

Since you ask for such small kites for pushing the limits, I assume it is below 70 kg :wink:

If average weight i would go 11-12 m2.

8) Peter

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:41 pm

As a reference, I'm 72kg and with Alpha v1 8m could foil after 10 knots (F-One IC6 850). The kite itself starts to fly at 7 knots

Return to “Hydrofoil”