OR Mako 150

Re: Moses shim

Postby Nelis » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:14 am

gmb13 wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:27 pm
Floating around wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm
Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for that, interesting..... So i guess what i should be asking is what do i need to do to get the feeling i'm looking for.
Using a 695 wing, 399 stab, 647 fuse, 91 mast and a groove skate 120 board.
I have very little to no front foot pressure and it seems to get less with more speed (haven't been out for a while so don't remember exactly). I would like a bit more to push back on and a bit of a more locked in feeling. back foot is somewhere around the centre to just behind the mast. mast is currently about an inch forward of the back. have tried it around 2 inches from the back and this just seemed to make it more twitchy. maybe i just need to move much further forward to get the front foot pressure i'm looking for? but that won't do anything for the directional stability? maybe a different stab?
Would love to get hold of the old 425.

Thanks.

H.
Hi H,

That is exactly what I am talking about in regards to the CoE wandering. That will not be solved well by shimming the Stab. Try putting some M8 washers under the front screws of the plate (under the plate of course). This will increase fron foot pressure and will stop the CoE from shifting forward when you get faster.

--
Gunnar
Sorry, isn't the OP describing the exact opposite of what Gunnar is saying?! Might be a confusion here?

Super interesting stuff with regards to front foot pressure being influenced by plate shims and leaving the tail unshimmed. I'd love to know a bit more on this, there's a bit of info on that topic wrt surf/prone foiling, but not so much wrt kitefoiling. What is the theory behind it? So supposedly shimming the nose of the board 'up' makes the front foot pressure more manageable? I my case I would love to increase the top-end of my 1000cm2 in some conditions that way if possible...

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses shim

Postby grigorib » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:59 pm

Shimming stabilizer down or if there’s a way to move mast further forward (e.g by drilling additional holes in the mast to move it to 140x90 mount) - both or either will help.
With 695 you want to have you stance in a way so back foot big toe is behind rear row of mast plate mount bolts

Return to “Hydrofoil”