Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses shim

Postby Floating around » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:41 pm

image.jpg
Hi all,

Was going to try out a shim on my stab. Have the Moses MHW060 set of 6 shims. Fuselage is a kite 647 and the stab is a 399. The shim sticks out in front of the stab by about 6mm and doesn't let the stab sit down properly. What am I missing? Wrong shim set? Only one listed on the sab site. I thought all the stabiliser were compatible with all fuselages? It was just the front wings that weren’t.
image.jpg

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Moses shim

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:04 am

Just use a file to shape the shim to your needs

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:01 pm

Those shims are for the 710 and 700 Surf Fuselages. You nee to cut off the end if you want to use them. However they will not give you the angle change that is writen on them after that.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
Floating around (Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:36 pm

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for that. So I assume that they don’t make a shim set specifically for the kite fuselage? Beginning to think kite foilers are being forgotten by manufacturers as they all rush to make winging, sup and surf foils.
I have hacked up the shim to make it fit better, just another wonderful feature of my sab setup.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:35 pm

Floating around wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:36 pm
Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for that. So I assume that they don’t make a shim set specifically for the kite fuselage? Beginning to think kite foilers are being forgotten by manufacturers as they all rush to make winging, sup and surf foils.
I have hacked up the shim to make it fit better, just another wonderful feature of my sab setup.
It´s not really that kitefoilers where forgoten. There is/was basically no need for shims on the kitefoils. The Moses shims where made to compensate for the first moses Boards not having tracks and people using the Surf Wings. Now that all the boards have tracks I pretty much find that shims are not needed on a finished product, as properly tested and finished foil will be balanced out of the box. The bigger problem is that there are still boards with no tail rocker around which causes the lack of front foot pressure and a wandering CoE. Plate shims are the solution to that, not stabiliser shims.

--
Gunnar

Floating around
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for that, interesting..... So i guess what i should be asking is what do i need to do to get the feeling i'm looking for.
Using a 695 wing, 399 stab, 647 fuse, 91 mast and a groove skate 120 board.
I have very little to no front foot pressure and it seems to get less with more speed (haven't been out for a while so don't remember exactly). I would like a bit more to push back on and a bit of a more locked in feeling. back foot is somewhere around the centre to just behind the mast. mast is currently about an inch forward of the back. have tried it around 2 inches from the back and this just seemed to make it more twitchy. maybe i just need to move much further forward to get the front foot pressure i'm looking for? but that won't do anything for the directional stability? maybe a different stab?
Would love to get hold of the old 425.

Thanks.

H.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:27 pm

Floating around wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm
Hi Gunnar,

Thanks for that, interesting..... So i guess what i should be asking is what do i need to do to get the feeling i'm looking for.
I have very little to no front foot pressure and it seems to get less with more speed (haven't been out for a while so don't remember exactly). I would like a bit more to push back on and a bit of a more locked in feeling. back foot is somewhere around the centre to just behind the mast. mast is currently about an inch forward of the back. have tried it around 2 inches from the back and this just seemed to make it more twitchy. maybe i just need to move much further forward to get the front foot pressure i'm looking for? but that won't do anything for the directional stability? maybe a different stab?

Thanks.

H.
Hi H,

That is exactly what I am talking about in regards to the CoE wandering. That will not be solved well by shimming the Stab. Try putting some M8 washers under the front screws of the plate (under the plate of course). This will increase fron foot pressure and will stop the CoE from shifting forward when you get faster.

--
Gunnar

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:18 am

Floating around wrote:
Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:37 pm
…what do i need to do to get the feeling i'm looking for.

Thanks.

H.
Add a plastic washer on the front stabilizer bolt to shim it down a little bit. That of course of you can’t move the mast a bit more forward. On my current mast I drilled extra holes in the plate to be able to mount it further forward or on 140x90 mount.

425 stabilizer would be awesome if you can find one too

Dave_H
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas
Style: Airstyle, kite foil, wing foil
Gear: Souls, Flites and Swings
Delta

Postby Dave_H » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 am

On the subject of Moses shims, does anyone know of a shim or adapter that will make the kite stabilizers fit on the SABfoil/Moses surf fuselage properly. When I put my 380 Ghost Whisperer kite stabilizer on the surf fuselage, the bolts lined up perfect, but the curvature of the two pieces was considerably different and there was a pretty big gap at the front of the stabilizer and the pocket. The tail of the stabilizer cracked as I snugged it gently. I ended up carving an adapter out of wood to fill the mismatch, but it sure would be nice if there was a proper plastic adapter available. No response from SABfoil when I inquired about one a couple weeks ago.
Dave

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster

Postby grigorib » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:56 pm

Dave_H wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:48 am
On the subject of Moses shims, does anyone know of a shim or adapter that will make the kite stabilizers fit on the SABfoil/Moses surf fuselage properly. When I put my 380 Ghost Whisperer kite stabilizer on the surf fuselage, the bolts lined up perfect, but the curvature of the two pieces was considerably different and there was a pretty big gap at the front of the stabilizer and the pocket. The tail of the stabilizer cracked as I snugged it gently. I ended up carving an adapter out of wood to fill the mismatch, but it sure would be nice if there was a proper plastic adapter available. No response from SABfoil when I inquired about one a couple weeks ago.
Dave
I don’t think anyone makes/sells those but with a piece of old credit card, a knife, sandblock and a drill with 6mm drill bit you can make one easily.

I think though kite stabilizers fit surf fuselage fairly close, it’s rather surf stabilizers that don’t fit kite fuselage.

Return to “Hydrofoil”