JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

How to repair fusselage?

Postby JoseTumaco » Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:05 am

Please what do you sugest me to do with this Moses kite fusselage? Sand it? I use it one year ago (3 days a week), is it normal? Thanks for any advice? I use it with W679
José :cool2:
Attachments
20211116_141133.jpg

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How to repair fusselage?

Postby knyfe » Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 am

I have also 2-3 small corrosion dips just like you on my moses. I don’t care as it would need another 15 years to become significant. I also wash more than the previous owner I guess. G
These users thanked the author knyfe for the post:
JoseTumaco (Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:07 pm

knyfe wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:58 am
I have also 2-3 small corrosion dips just like you on my moses. I don’t care as it would need another 15 years to become significant. I also wash more than the previous owner I guess. G
I also suspect they are not significant but can I do anything?

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:46 pm

Even the most corrosion resistant aluminium alloys get can get spongy over time.

Always try to rinse your gear in fresh water after using it in salt water. The salt residue will attract moisture and encourage corrosion, especially if you live in a humid climate.

Dave_H
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas
Style: Airstyle, kite foil, wing foil
Gear: Souls, Flites and Swings
Delta

Postby Dave_H » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:26 am

Jose, I had a much worse case of corrosion on my Moses surf fuselage recently, even after rinsing it with fresh water after use. I think some of the issues are that once the anodized coating is damaged and exposes the aluminum alloy, there is potentially for a galvanic cell with the carbon fiber mast and wings when submerged in salt water. I ride my gear frequently so it spends a good amount of time in salt water. I finally ended up taking a Dremel tool with a small bur and cleaned out all the oxidized pits until there was just shiny aluminum. I was amazed how much material needed to be removed in some areas to get down to clean metal. I then used some 95% zinc paint (ZRC) and coated the bare metal areas using a tooth pick to dab it on. After letting two coats of the zinc paint thoroughly dry, I built up the deep pits with some epoxy(JB weld) and placed a piece of masking tape over the epoxy to shape it flush with the surrounding area while it cured. After removing the masking tape, it was not the prettiest of repairs, but it is functional. The zinc paint should sacrifice and help protect the aluminum in those areas from future corrosion and the epoxy helps restore the shape to maintain good hydrodynamics. I would recommend not sanding on areas without corrosion as you want try to retain the original black anodizing, as it seems to do a good job at mitigating the corrosion.
Best of luck,
Dave

Return to “Hydrofoil”