Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board
Brand Affiliation: None

Update On Inflatiable Board

Postby Lamilu » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:51 am

Any body using them?
For kiting hydrofoil…
If so, could you please share your experience…
Considering buying inflatiable or splitboard for traveling…
Too heavy and not good enough for extreemly short boards.

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Update On Inflatiable Board

Postby loco4viento » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:23 pm

I’ve been enjoying a gong hipe inflatable 4’11” and 70L as a kitefoil board. It’s a bit more work than a small board to roll on its side for waterstarting and I hope to figure out how to do so with the board flat on the water one of these days. I’ve liked the fact that it’s floaty enough to paddle in rather than swim in if I were to encounter equipment failure or the wind dropping off (hasn’t happened yet). I feel a bit better about going farther away from my starting point than I would with a small board.
These users thanked the author loco4viento for the post (total 2):
Lamilu (Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:34 pm) • xfact (Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:37 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:40 pm

I'm not sure what the point would be of an inflatable board for kite foiling, as it's possible to use a really small board anyway?

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 am

Maybe a 2 piece board makes more sense…
Airline Fees…Airline Fees…Airline Fees…

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:33 pm

Lamilu wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:00 am
Maybe a 2 piece board makes more sense…
Airline Fees…Airline Fees…Airline Fees…
Still not sure I understand. If you're traveling with a foil, you need to take a mast. The mast is going to be longer than a split board, so how does a split board help?

StellaBlu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Winging
Gear: -

Postby StellaBlu » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:45 pm

I have traveled with a foil board, mast, foil set, two kites and a bar in a checked duffle numerous times without incurring excess baggage charges. In fact, I just checked a wing board setup (board, two wings and full foil setup) on two flights and kept the bag just sub 50lbs thereby avoiding any charges.

There are very few circumstances where I would see much benefit for an inflatable board - and as I have proven, checking bags isn't one of them. The only situation I can imagine a use for an inflatable board would be if I was very limited with physical space (travelling on a small train, bus, sleigh, motorcycle, hot air balloon), but that's not a situation I find myself in very often.

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:41 am

I can ride a 85cm mast…but not a 85cm board.
But yes, if I had a 2 piece board, It would probably be dual purpuse…kitewave/foil…
As inflatiable goes, since I only have seen them in standup paddle sizes, I just imagine how cool and small would an 4 foot some inches inflatiable be… I just hate beeing asked in aiports…”what the F is this? Surfboard? Sporting Equipment?” and in my country…sporting equipment offsize is charged more than a regular 90cm suitcase…sometimes 2x…
One post opened my eyes to a consideration I feel important…because of the volume, If I one day order one…it would need to have straps…I find it dificult do do waterstart in low power situations if the board is not initially sideways…in my age and flexibility…

loco4viento
Very Frequent Poster

Postby loco4viento » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:55 am

I should probably add that my recent satisfaction with that gong hipe 4’11” 70L board is due more to its floatation than the fact that it’s inflatable. I’ve been curious for a while about using a wingfoil board as a kitefoil board in order to have the ability to paddle in rather than swim in should I encounter disappearance of wind or equipment failure. The added visibility while paddling vs swimming is also an advantage in certain situations.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:56 am

Lamilu wrote:
Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:41 am
I can ride a 85cm mast…but not a 85cm board.
Yes, I understand that. But even a split board is still going to leave you with the "oversize" 85cm mast to accommodate somehow.
Lamilu wrote:

As inflatiable goes, since I only have seen them in standup paddle sizes, I just imagine how cool and small would an 4 foot some inches inflatiable be… I just hate beeing asked in aiports…”what the F is this? Surfboard? Sporting Equipment?” and in my country…sporting equipment offsize is charged more than a regular 90cm suitcase…sometimes 2x…
One post opened my eyes to a consideration I feel important…because of the volume, If I one day order one…it would need to have straps…I find it dificult do do waterstart in low power situations if the board is not initially sideways…in my age and flexibility…
We are lucky in Canada having a couple of charter airline companies that have been extremely generous with sports equipment. Up until last year they would fly select sports equipment free to points in the Caribbean. That is to say, they would charge for a regular suitcase, but not for an (oversized) sports equipment bag. Now they have changed that policy ... but will still fly an oversize bag with kiting equipment - as long as it is not overweight - for the same cost as a regular suitcase.
Lamilu wrote:
That's an important consideration. When I started kiting, I had an old kite formula board that I modified by adding glassed in tracks on the bottom. I found it impossible to waterstart because of the volume of the board - I could not get it on its side successfully, even with straps. I might be more possible now that I am more experienced - but I think it would still be a PIA.

Return to “Hydrofoil”