Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Take Foil apart always after use?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting
Brand Affiliation: None

Take Foil apart always after use?

Postby 1234567Simon » Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:36 pm

Dear all,

This question really bothers me.

my Foil is made full out of „let’s say metal“. (Gong)

I learned the following:

- use that sticky Silikon gel on all moving parts
- after use in saltwater take the foil apart, wash every piece with fresh water and store in a dry place.

If I use it two days in a row then I just leave it all together.

If I use only on the weekend, I take it apart, and just put it in the Garage. I can not wash it.

Putting everything together takes me approx. 20 minutes. (Probably I am just slow).
Actually I can not do it on the Beach, because of Sand, wind, excitement to get going fast. So I do it at home.
If I do not use it this day, should I take it apart in the evening?

Question: how do you deal with this topic.

Thx
Simon

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Take Foil apart always after use?

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:14 pm

Never take my carbon foil apart - but that was not your question.

My aluminium wingfoil, I leave attached for months.

And, when I remember, I take it apart and assemble again immediately, so screws are not stuck.
Maybe new TefGel it screws are a bit stuck.

Never rinse anything, nor store it dry :wink:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
1234567Simon (Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:45 pm

I agree with Peter. Every couple of months I take everything apart and apply more grease to the stainless steel bolt threads. I never rinse anything. I have no problems.
;-)

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:15 pm

I rinse off the sand and salt from my fully assembled rig after every use, but otherwise I follow Peter's approach.

I will say that I left my "heavy metal" wing attached to a Slingshot fuselage for too long without attention, and the parts now seem to be permanently fused together. After that experience, I try to disassemble parts and lubricate screws more often (even on my carbon rig), but still probably not more than once every 10-12 sessions.
Last edited by FLandOBX on Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:25 pm

Things will not fuse together after a few days & certainly not after one use. I would suggest a compromise if you're concerned: untighten the bolts a couple of turns When you go to reuse the foil, just tighten them up - takes a few seconds for each bolt.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:58 pm

I use Vaseline on everything, all the joints where salt water might get trapped and hardware, assemble and wipe off excess. A quick rinse after use is all my Naish foils ever get, no corrosion problems at all.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:57 pm

I nearly fused my SS Alu mast with the mounting plate after not cleaning it for 6 months. After 45 min of heating the mast while cooling the screw it finally opened up.

Now after switching to a Moses setup I never had problems but now I also check the screws just a bit every 2-3months.

I always do a quick rinse at the beach with my remaining shower water.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:43 pm

Here in Brazil I know people who take it apart after every session, due to the water being pretty salty. Water and salty air (maresia) eat it all…

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:02 am

I always do a full assemble every session with my full carbon J Shapes kite foils and Go Foil wing foils.

The main reason is that an assembled foil would not fit conveniently in my car. I can get the kite foils in assembled but it's a nuisance having to lay down seats and wiggle things around. Even leaving just the foil assembled would be a pain. Possibly more importantly I don't want to risk damaging the leather upholstery or the interior of my car.

All the foil components sit flat in the trunk of the car. I only use tuttle mounts and they take up zero space. On a road trip I can get the foils in the triangular gap between the back seat and the car fridge. My favourite kite foil board also fits in the trunk. My larger foil board and the 5'10" wing foil board sit diagonally across the back seat. There's heaps of room for kites and wings and the front seats are all in the normal position.

Because I only use full carbon there is zero maintenance. I wipe everything with a damp cloth to dry things and remove any dirt or excess salt.

I switched to Torx security screws some time ago. The socket is deeper than hex or plain torx and the security pin locates the wrench so there is no chance of slipping or movement of the tool.

I takes no real time to do the assembly. Both foil systems only use 4 screws. By far the biggest time usage is talking to the crew or watching the wind gusts and weather stations. All the gear fits in bags and it's easy to carry all the components in one hand.

I have a rack suspended from the garage roof to store foils, boards, kites, wings and kite bars. It's easy to slide stuff in and out depending on what I do for the day. It's quite a satisfying feeling easily grabbing the stuff I want for the day.

Possibly the single greatest source of damage to boards is bumping them against hard stuff on land. I can't imagine being able to safely move a board with a foil attached in my garage without damaging something. Much better to have things nicely packed in compact sturdy bags.
Last edited by OzBungy on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:38 am

I never take it apart unless I travel. Sometimes it stays assembled for months and I ride like 3 or 4 times a week on it. I never had anything seaze. I use silver oxide anti seize compound but I ride mostly fresh water.

Return to “Hydrofoil”