Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Take Foil apart always after use?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Take Foil apart always after use?

Postby JakeFarley » Mon May 23, 2022 4:28 pm

I have a question regarding protecting the aluminum foil parts (mast, fuselage, etc.) from corrosion. I have a Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing V1 for winging and the kit came with a small tub of Prolan (lanolin) and a roll of teflon tape. I have been disassembling after every second session. The manual said to coat the bolts with lanolin and wrap with the teflon tape, which I have been doing. The lanolin is very sticky an lasts long. However, I am about to run out of it.

My question is: What are you using to prevent corrosion/seizing of the bolts? Some of my fellow foilers are using only teflon tape or marine grade lithium grease (Grasso). I would like to know if there are other products that perform well that can be obtained in the US.

Thanks!!

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon May 23, 2022 6:04 pm

I did some testing awhile ago, a bath of double strength salt water and an aluminium mast with different greases applied. Vaseline worked as good or better than other products including lanolin and marine grease. Plus some high end aviation anti corrosion product.
So for me it’s Vaseline, cheap and easily available. I wipe it over everything in a joint and disassemble once every couple of months with use most days.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post (total 2):
JakeFarley (Mon May 23, 2022 6:19 pm) • bragnouff (Tue May 24, 2022 2:52 am)
Rating: 6.06%

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue May 24, 2022 9:40 am

Tefgel

Good for me as it also helps to stop the bolts loosening whilst out on the water.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
JakeFarley (Wed May 25, 2022 1:18 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue May 24, 2022 12:30 pm

I almost never take my foil apart it fits in my car assembled. I use silver anti seize compound the same stuff the same stuff I use for car parts. It has never seized ever sometimes it's stays assembled for months and I ride a few times a week but 90% of the time it's fresh water.
These users thanked the author Windigo1 for the post:

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Tue May 24, 2022 10:31 pm

I use grease from my bike hobby, specifically pedal grease. Rinse with fresh after every session in the ocean, and every couple of months I loosen all the bolts and retighten.
These users thanked the author geokite for the post:

daffes
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Brasilia
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Freeride twintip and hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Neo and Mono
Been thanked: 0

Postby daffes » Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 am

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:30 pm
I almost never take my foil apart it fits in my car assembled. I use silver anti seize compound the same stuff the same stuff I use for car parts. It has never seized ever sometimes it's stays assembled for months and I ride a few times a week but 90% of the time it's fresh water.
Where and in which position do you put it in your car assembled? Maybe can save me a few tries to optimize it :).

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Wed May 25, 2022 12:29 am

Go to a decent health food store [Whole Foods?] and just buy a small tub of lanolin. As a lotion, its normal use, It's awesome for dry hands and feet.
If you only use your foil in freshwater, you can get away with infrequent disassembly and lubing. In saltwater, especially locations like the TX Gulf Coast, with seawater salinity 2X of average seawater, you must disassemble and lube very frequently.
These users thanked the author galewarning for the post:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 am

daffes wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:17 am
Windigo1 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:30 pm
Where and in which position do you put it in your car assembled? Maybe can save me a few tries to optimize it :).
I never disassemble my (carbon Gong) foil. It fits in the back of my Kia Soul (great little car!)with the board (3'6" Dwarfcraft) attached. Foil with the wing towards the front and the board going horizontally across the back. :thumb:

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Wed May 25, 2022 12:53 am

I guess everybody has their favorite. All of the products mentioned above work. None has any chemical advantage, they all just provide a barrier to keep saltwater away from the aluminum/stainless contact areas. Sabfoil recommends lithium grease which is a common inexpensive product available at any hardware store. It is somewhat thick and probably stays in place longer than thinner (runnier) chemicals.
If you want to spend more money then Tef Gel or Locktite Thread Locker Blue are very thick and gooey which should make them long lasting.
I personally use lithium grease and I reapply it every couple of months or every few dozen sessions.

:wink:
CG
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
JakeFarley (Wed May 25, 2022 1:17 am)

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Wed May 25, 2022 1:17 am

Thanks to all for their recommendations. I really like lanolin as it does not come off easily (my hands smell like sheep :D ). I found a lanolin based lubricant at Ace Hardware called Lanox MX4 that I am going to try.

Return to “Hydrofoil”