Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

High Aspect wing hype not for kiting?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: High Aspect wing hype not for kiting?

Postby Alysum » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 pm

surfbird wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:44 pm
Alysum wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:25 am
I've had one kite foil session on the Axis ART799 which has a ration of 9.05

First impressions, it has an extreme initial lift then it will stall quickly if you don't quickly level the foil. The initial lift is the quickest I've experienced on any foil and will surprise a lot of people, it's definitely for advanced riders. The 899 and 999 which I also ride (wing only) have a more gradual lift.

Once up, the 799 accelerates crazy fast and slices through the water, it's very efficient. I rode it with the 350p stab so the whole setup was quite a change from my usual 700/380 setup.

It turns well, but not as well as the 700 I felt. High aspect wings need a different turning technique too; you need to initiate the carve by pushing on the toes of the forward foot and put pressure on the back leg too. Difficult to explain, it feels like riding a plate which you have to skids into the turn.

Will the 799 replace my 700 ? Not necessarily, I enjoy how easy and forgiving the 700 is. If I want more speed and/or glide then I'll use the 799.
But it's kiteable you would say?
When you say "extreme initial lift" do you mean you have to change weight from backfoot to frontfoot very quick when it starts flying? Or do you need a lot of front foot pressure while riding?

I'm looking for a wing that I can use riding unbroken swell, most wings have a hard time to keep up with the speed.

How long mast do you use?

Thanks
It's absolutely kiteable.
And yes you need to shift foot weight very quickly at launch time.
Once up it's very efficient and not much front foot pressure is required.
High aspect wings work very well in unbroken swell because they will glide and have good top speed to keep up. Only when you go through broken water ha wings tend to pitch quite a bit over mid-aspect wings.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: High Aspect wing hype not for kiting?

Postby surfbird » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:12 am

Alysum wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:53 pm
surfbird wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:44 pm
Alysum wrote:
Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:25 am
I've had one kite foil session on the Axis ART799 which has a ration of 9.05

First impressions, it has an extreme initial lift then it will stall quickly if you don't quickly level the foil. The initial lift is the quickest I've experienced on any foil and will surprise a lot of people, it's definitely for advanced riders. The 899 and 999 which I also ride (wing only) have a more gradual lift.

Once up, the 799 accelerates crazy fast and slices through the water, it's very efficient. I rode it with the 350p stab so the whole setup was quite a change from my usual 700/380 setup.

It turns well, but not as well as the 700 I felt. High aspect wings need a different turning technique too; you need to initiate the carve by pushing on the toes of the forward foot and put pressure on the back leg too. Difficult to explain, it feels like riding a plate which you have to skids into the turn.

Will the 799 replace my 700 ? Not necessarily, I enjoy how easy and forgiving the 700 is. If I want more speed and/or glide then I'll use the 799.
But it's kiteable you would say?
When you say "extreme initial lift" do you mean you have to change weight from backfoot to frontfoot very quick when it starts flying? Or do you need a lot of front foot pressure while riding?

I'm looking for a wing that I can use riding unbroken swell, most wings have a hard time to keep up with the speed.

How long mast do you use?

Thanks
It's absolutely kiteable.
And yes you need to shift foot weight very quickly at launch time.
Once up it's very efficient and not much front foot pressure is required.
High aspect wings work very well in unbroken swell because they will glide and have good top speed to keep up. Only when you go through broken water ha wings tend to pitch quite a bit over mid-aspect wings.
Thanks!
Sounds perfect for my kind of foiling. Will get one for the next season.
I've a horue h14, and it also require very fast shift of weight at takeoff.

Anyway, thanks for your info, very valuable!

Return to “Hydrofoil”