Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Re: Hydrofoil Concussion Protection

Postby gmb13 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:00 pm

I am pretty sure that this has been discussed here in another post, but current helmets do not prevent concussions, some even increase the likelyhood.

A concussion is your brain hitting the inside wall of your skull as a result of a massive deceleration on impact. A normal helmet does not do to prevent this. A helmet prevents your skull from being split open by that impact, but the deceleration is still there.

In my experience I prefer going fast on a foil without a helmet, as I have had more concussions with than without. I hope in the future someone will invent a good watersports helmet to address this as I feel wearing a helmet is necessary to protect you from your (and others) foils and boards.

--
Gunnar

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Matty V » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:52 pm

Agree^^^^

They are great if you need protection from something hard on the shoreline or your gear.

For preventing brain trauma( concussion) not so much

Michaelr123
Medium Poster
Weight: 175lb
Local Beach: Mendota / Monona
Gear: 14m apollo, 12m NV, 11m boxer, 9m moto, 7m apollo
cabrinha Ace 141cm, 3'6" dwarf craft /w moses w800/s421
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Michaelr123 » Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:49 pm

I don't think this was designed with hydrofoils in mind, but its cool to see these next-gen impact foams making their way to water sports. For cycling they made a crumple zone style helmet that also outperforms any hard foam and shell construction helmet by a mile. New "soft" football helmets are being tried at the collegiate level to reduce concussions as well.

I would guess that a hydro foil impact would require a combo of a hardshell with a softshell to increase the impact area and then slow down the accelerations due to the hard knife edges that can lead to cuts.

Maybe there's a business idea in this discussion to build a helmet specifically for hydrofoiling?

Return to “Hydrofoil”