Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Should I fix a small scratch on this hydrofoil wing?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)
Brand Affiliation: None

Should I fix a small scratch on this hydrofoil wing?

Postby DariKite » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:59 am

I have a Cabrinha CRX hydrofoil. I barely scratched the rear stabilizer wing. It's a 1 mm deep at most. The carbon composite is now exposed.

I know that with surfboards you need to keep the board off the water until you seal with epoxy because if the foam gets wet it means trouble. But what about hydrofoil wings? Is there a problem if water touches the carbon composite material? I just want to know if I should bother fixing it or if I can use it as it is.

How could I fix it? Just add some paint?
Attachments
IMG_0551.jpg
IMG_0545.jpg

SMJ
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Gear: Cabrimha, Core, Flysurfer, Carved, Naish, Duotone, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Liquid Force, Lift, Spleene, Mystic, ION.

Re: Should I fix a small scratch on this hydrofoil wing?

Postby SMJ » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:05 am

I would just use epoxy on that one - probably not big enough for carbon fiber repair.

You can buy Epoxy Resin Colorant to color match it. Then sand smooth.

These users thanked the author SMJ for the post:
DariKite (Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:35 am

Three options:
1. Do nothing. Go ride.
2. Sand it smooth. Go ride.
3. Put a little epoxy paste on it. Sand smooth. Go ride.

My preferred option is 3, followed by 2. It depends on whether the damage extends to the carbon or just the paint. I prefer to avoid sanding the carbon. The paint is sacrificial, the carbon is structural.

I quite like to spray paint my foils, mainly to keep the sacrificial paint layer on the top for sanding. At the moment I am enjoying the exposed carbon look of my foils. I'll probably paint them sometime.

I use PC-7 and PC-11 epoxy paste. It sands well and can be smoothed with a wet finger (wear gloves) or alcohol/methylated spirits/denatured alcohol. Try and get the epoxy smooth and don't smear it around too much so you don't have to sand too much. You can mask it and/or clean off the excess with alcohol.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
DariKite (Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

JTKiter
Medium Poster
Gear: gear

Postby JTKiter » Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:14 pm

I agree with OzBungy's options. Sand it a little and go ride. It's nothing to worry about. My old hydrofoil wings are all banged up but work fine.

DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)

Postby DariKite » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:34 pm

OzBungy wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:35 am

I use PC-7 and PC-11 epoxy paste. It sands well and can be smoothed with a wet finger (wear gloves) or alcohol/methylated spirits/denatured alcohol. Try and get the epoxy smooth and don't smear it around too much so you don't have to sand too much. You can mask it and/or clean off the excess with alcohol.
I can't buy PC epoxy pastes where I live. I only have Solarez epoxy resin. I will use that and update how it goes. Thanks!

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:53 pm

Alternatively…., mask off the smallest area of the scratch, v lightly wet & dry sand the scratched area , then colour match & use a car touch up pen - then as good as new!

Did this on a new foil that got grounded before I had a chance to use it :roll:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:44 pm

SMJ wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:05 am
I would just use epoxy on that one - probably not big enough for carbon fiber repair.

You can buy Epoxy Resin Colorant to color match it. Then sand smooth.

That's a pretty elaborate process. :-?

My wings ended up getting scratched or dinged on a regular basis - just small imperfections for the most part. Sand them off a bit. Apply a fairly thick layer of epoxy resin. Allow to thoroughly dry. File off the larger raised areas of epoxy, then use a fairly coarse sandpaper to smooth it down further. By this time the wings feel almost completely smooth to the touch. There will still be some very light visible surface scuffing. This could be smoothed out with fine sandpaper ... but I'm not sure its worth it as there is inevitably going to be more scratching in the future. My goal is to make it feel smooth rather than have it visually perfect.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:50 pm

Just go ride. It’s fine like that. Once you have a lot more dings, or are bored with no wind, then patch it with filler. Only really matters if you’re racing or very focused on efficiency. For most kitefoil, you won’t notice a difference.

I wish I took a picture of my old Zeeko foil at the end. It looked like I took a shotgun and sword to it and it rode fine.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:44 am

Jyoder wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:50 pm
Just go ride. It’s fine like that. Once you have a lot more dings, or are bored with no wind, then patch it with filler. Only really matters if you’re racing or very focused on efficiency. For most kitefoil, you won’t notice a difference.

I wish I took a picture of my old Zeeko foil at the end. It looked like I took a shotgun and sword to it and it rode fine.
It's certainly true that I've never actually noticed any change in performance of a foil due to scratches & dings. I think it's more psychological. :jump:

oregonkiter
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: Foil stuff

Postby oregonkiter » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:01 am

Crazyglue + baking soda sprinkled on top. Wait 2 min, then sand

Return to “Hydrofoil”