Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What are hydrofoil shims for?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)
Brand Affiliation: None

What are hydrofoil shims for?

Postby DariKite » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:01 pm

I'm learning how to foil on a Neil Pryde/Cabrinha CR-X Hydrofoil. The board I use is a Double Agent.

The hydrofoil comes with different shims. (I'm not showing the ones that are already installed on the wings)
IMG-0608.jpg
Someone said this helps first timers to increase the angle of attack providing more lift.
https://www.kingofwatersports.com/produ ... -hydrofoil

Not sure how this works. Could I please get some guidance as to what shims I should use on front and back wings? And when should I change them as I improve?

I'm at this stage: Yesterday I used the short mast and was able to float for over 30 seconds at a time. I will install a taller mast (60cm) because it's difficult with the short mast and the chop. I feel like the wings leave the water too easily or the chop hits the board. Little room for errors. The tallest mast is 90cm.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What are hydrofoil shims for?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:11 pm

IMO, shims are to compensate for a wrong trim for a given board or hydrofoil.

Meaning, if you use the original hydrofoil and board, it should match as it is most often :thumb:

But if you use another board, where the board angle compared to the water surface is wrong, you can shim the front wing.
It is very rare this will happen IMO.

The rear wing shim though, can be used to compensate if your straps are too far rear or forward for balance, even in their outer positions.
Or like you say, some find it easier to ride a foil if the rear wing pulls more down (I dont agree fully with this though, as it pops out of the water easier now...).
So if you put a shim on the rear wing, so the leading edge is lower and the trailing edge is higher, it will pull more down, and be more stable.
Try it yourself and see how it feels, but be aware you need more front foot pressure, or you have to stand further forward on the board, when trimmed like that.

Some might also use it the other way, trim with a bit less downward lift, to get a foil that is neutral at higher speeds, so it does not pull up nor down - which is what I prefer :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 3):
mr-markus (Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:14 pm) • DariKite (Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:26 am) • cor (Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:45 am)
Rating: 9.09%

mr-markus
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Netherlands Maasvlakte,Rockanje
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Ozone R1V3 19m,
Gin Spirit 15, Gin Spirit 12,Gin Instinct HB 10, Gin Spirit 10, Ten Velox 8m, Ten Velox 10m, Vantage Vulture 7, Moses Fluente, Crazy Fly Chill, Lieuwe Shotgun ,Flysurfer Radical 7 and lots and lots other things.
Brand Affiliation: myself

Postby mr-markus » Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:13 pm

check this link.
These users thanked the author mr-markus for the post:
DariKite (Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

DariKite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Gear: Kite: 12mt Liquid Force WOW ; 9mt Cabrinha SwitchBlade
Board: Cabrinha Ace ; Wainmann Hawaii Passport 5'7" ; F-One Mitu Pro Convertible 2016 (Hydrofoil/Surf)

Postby DariKite » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:26 am

Thanks, I installed the rear wing shim so that the leading edge is lower and the trailing edge is higher. Just a 1 degree change made a difference. It's now with a 3 degree shim. I do feel more lift and find it more stable. Maybe it's easier to go slower too because of the added drag.

Return to “Hydrofoil”