optimize waterstart for marginal winds

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Re: optimize waterstart for marginal winds

Postby papasmerf » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:59 am

jakemoore wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:57 pm
Yes the 15. V4 is reasonably light to fly in very low wind, has good durability and availability. And it makes a strong power spike with kite speed to get out and moving.
i was so close to getting one (chrono v4 15m) but regis himself sold me his pulsion 15m UL and i am glad i bought it rather than new chrono,, the 15m size is not getting used as much as i thought it would, ironically, i have only used it once so far in similiar conditions like yours,, glassy water and a couple times in light white caps. but will get more time on it this spring probably. my 11m v3 chrono is still pretty impressive for light wind. for some reason,, my wind here seems to be either under 5mph or it jumps to like 10mph or higher,,

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: optimize waterstart for marginal winds

Postby jakemoore » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:22 pm

papasmerf wrote: i was so close to getting one (chrono v4 15m) but regis himself sold me his pulsion 15m UL and i am glad i bought it rather than new chrono,, the 15m size is not getting used as much as i thought it would,
We have good winds in Corpus Christi and I'm always happy to fly a smaller kite so this 15 rarely comes out of the bag. Most people who are foiling and have a light wind foil kite are using 8 or 9m here unless they want a more powered ride.

The upside is I'm guessing I'll be happy with it for quite a few years. I do look forward to the magical light winds sessions when they occur.

Return to “Hydrofoil”