Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tacking issues 15m inflatable vs 12m

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Tacking issues 15m inflatable vs 12m

Postby lovethepirk » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:08 am

Happy new year everyone!

I'm tacking every time on my 12m inflatable, and roughly 75% are airborne.....and now let's discuss the 15m in light wind bc it's a disaster...

I'm only taking the 15m out when the whitecaps are barely visible...10-12mph here. So yesterday it is a terrifying 11mph. Everyone on the beach is running for shelter, yet I go out. I dive the kite 3 times and finally get airborne, heart rate at 180 now questioning if I should have just gone for a walk. 1 mile out I go for a decent speed tack, not a 20 mph tack, a gentle 13-16mph groundspeed tack in 11mph winds.....and yeppppp....I go airborne ripped upwards a few feet and I descend with a kiteloop to make damn sure this kite aint stalling 1 mile out in 11mph winds.

I've wondering if someone has gone thru not being able to tack on a 15m vs a 12m. I'm just getting lofted like a bitch on the 15. I can enter a tack on the 12m at 20mph ground speed and nail it without even getting worked upwardds. If I were to do that speed of a tack on the 15m I would be 10 feet in the air. I really don't want to be depowering a 15m kite into a turn when the wind is blowing 11mph. Thoughts?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Tacking issues 15m inflatable vs 12m

Postby leeuwen » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:57 am

AFAIK it is common practice to depower into the tack and then only pull in the bar just enough to stay “weightless” during the tack. At least that is what I am doing.

Other observations/considerations:
* With near to whitecaps it sounds like it’s easily more then 12 knots. 15m sounds big for the conditions and I personally would only consider rigging one in sub 10 knots unless maybe you want to race/jump or are > 100kg
* Learn to downloop the kite for a waterstart. Just diving the kite is horribly inefficient. Downloop with the back hand from the opposite side of the wind window you want to ride.
* Once you do get down to the nail biting low end I think for most people a jibe with downloop will be a lot more consistent/easy to execute.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:29 pm

On race kites, 12 knots is about where guys are switching down to 15m from 21m. In 11mph/10knots this is still “big kite” wind and people are on 19-23m kites. It’s generally considered easier to tack big kites because of the amount of stability they provide through the foot change.

If you are getting lifted off your board don’t sheet in so much.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:24 am

I ought not to comment, because I can NOT yet perform the roll tack (only the duck-tack and toeside tack), so I may be missing something essential to this discussion.

But, as other posted: whitecaps sounds quite a bit more than 10 knots...

Also, why would you be afraid your 15m won't relaunch in 11 knots? up to 8 knots almost every kite relaunches, unless the sea is truly bad, with bad waves and whitewater. But you wouldn't be training roll tacks there, would you?! :D
Just curious.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:47 am

tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:29 pm
On race kites, 12 knots is about where guys are switching down to 15m from 21m. In 11mph/10knots this is still “big kite” wind and people are on 19-23m kites. It’s generally considered easier to tack big kites because of the amount of stability they provide through the foot change.
I am not sure what the point is you are making but:
A race foil kite on 12m lines is in no way comparable to a 15M tube kite on 22 meter lines. Not even taking into account the different hydrofoil and riding style.
Unless you are also a racer on the same equipment you should ignore whatever those guys are doing.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:47 am
tkaraszewski wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:29 pm
I am not sure what the point is you are making but:
A race foil kite on 12m lines is in no way comparable to a 15M tube kite on 22 meter lines. Not even taking into account the different hydrofoil and riding style.
Unless you are also a racer on the same equipment you should ignore whatever those guys are doing.
They are really more similar than they are different, especially talking about bigger kites like 12-15m. They are not exactly the same, no, but most of the techniques applicable to one apply to the other with a bit different timing and entry speed.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:06 pm

It’s all about timing. The later you send the kite compared to turning the board, the more airspeed and lift the kite will have as it passes overhead.

The 15m turns slower so it takes more time for it to turn and pass overhead, meaning if you’re used to speed of 12m and use the same timing for 15m, then the kite will be “late” and more powered. Try intentionally sending the kite a bit early or wait longer before turning the board upwind.

In light wind, if you are stalling off foil mid tack and the kite is kind of stuck sluggishly at 12, then do the opposite: turn the board upwind early/ send the kite later.

Correct sheeting and bar turning is the other component. Consciously sheet out even more when you send the kite, and then really turn the bar hard as kite passes overhead so that it dives enough coming out of the tack to keep you going.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
airsail (Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:09 pm

Jyoder wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:06 pm
... Consciously sheet out even more when you send the kite, and then really turn the bar hard as kite passes overhead so that it dives enough coming out of the tack to keep you going.
Exactly!

Return to “Hydrofoil”