Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses M92 Mast hands on experience

Postby Lamilu » Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:23 pm

Did some search and still couldnt find reports, specially their behavior on kitesurfing speeds.
Could someone be kind enough to share?
Was drag noticeable from M91?
Do you increase froont foot pressure?
How did the forward rake affect the whole set?
Does it vibrate or whistle at speed?
Any feedback is much apreciated…
Thanks

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Re: Moses M92 Mast hands on experience

Postby grigorib » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:15 pm

The way 72 and 82 masts came out - they came straight (not swept back on vertical axis like 71/91 are) so they need to be positioned ~30mm further back to preserve same stance on the board. They have thicker profile. They’re heavier. They’re more stiff.

I assume 92 will follow the pattern. People who called 91 “a noodle” should like 92 more.

Or buy the 90cm RDB at about half the cost

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:22 am

I have had the 82 and 92 masts, alongside the 81- 91 and 101 masts ,apart from the rake angle making a small but noticeable difference to mast mounting positions there is a very important difference to guys who want to push the limits of what its possible to do with the masts ending with number 2, the thicker profile masts, they do have limits, and if you are boosting, driving hard, feet fully strapped down and maybe fully powered for speed and hard turns, even on small waves for fast turns, or going hard and high upwind on toe side then there is a limit to this behaviour if using the thicker masts, the mast will simply break away when put under hard sideways push, in fact even on just toe side on flat water then if you are just pushing a little too much it will break away, easy to catch but it makes you behave and go more gently, where the thinner profile masts (ending in 1) will never do this, but where it is most noticeable and very annoying is when loading up for a big boost, sudden and mostly unrecoverable side slip and breakaway resulting in a silly feeling crash out, as for hum and top speed then yes its a factor as well, the drag is easily felt if your used to riding a 91 and 101, which are able to run faster and without any sounds or that draggy, humming sensation the thicker masts give you.
So as long as you are aware of this fact and decide your style is not fully strapped, your not boosting, and not pushing for speed in total silence then the cheaper masts will be just great, I had 2 of the 82cm masts as I thought my first one was faulty but it was the same on the second new mast, no matter what I tried to make it hum free failed and my sailing buddy who loves to boost and push hard found exactly the same limitations, when he used one for the day.
best left for when strength and lightness is needed like when using a wing board, or when learning, when saving a bit of cash is important as the downsides will not be noticeable at all.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:00 pm

I rode the M92 once with a wing and I was shocked how it still flexes quite a bit. Have not tried the other Moses masts so I'm only comparing with other brands I've tried.

It's very heavy too btw.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:05 pm

Alysum wrote: I rode the M92 once with a wing and I was shocked how it still flexes quite a bit. Have not tried the other Moses masts so I'm only comparing with other brands I've tried.

It's very heavy too btw.
What stuff do you use for winging?

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:11 pm

omg wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:05 pm
Alysum wrote: I rode the M92 once with a wing and I was shocked how it still flexes quite a bit. Have not tried the other Moses masts so I'm only comparing with other brands I've tried.

It's very heavy too btw.
What stuff do you use for winging?
At the moment I'm on Axis.
Getting a cedrus mast soon to run my Moses foils. It will be a lot stiffer and lighter.
These users thanked the author Alysum for the post:
omg (Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Frankieboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frankieboy » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:07 pm

I find the 82 stiff enough for winging. I am heavy and use a big wing (1100)
I found the 92 much heavier from the shelf, too heavy to my liking, didn't buy it even if I would appreciate a longer mast (1100 breaching is not cool...)
Cedrus weight: you need to consider the adapter and base plate also regarding weight. But I am curious to know about it.

BayAreaKite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fay Bainbridge
Favorite Beaches: Squamish, Crissy, Waddell
Style: All types!
Gear: Ozone kites, Project Cedrus foil
Brand Affiliation: Owner of Adherend Innovations / Project Cedrus

Postby BayAreaKite » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:38 pm

Hello, I have published weights for all mast models, lengths, and mounts here: https://projectcedrus.com/techspecs/
The new SAB zero-offset adapter is actually one of my lighter ones, at 119g with all hardware.

Return to “Hydrofoil”