Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby bitxopalo » Sun May 15, 2022 2:19 pm

I weight 65KG and also learnt with rise M.
In less than a year I passed to curve and feel quite stable and more maneoubrable. Less draggy than rise for sure

I use curve M and also L when wind is very light. Stab surf 250cm2

So is an stable setup, but no idea about which size need you, I would wait for someone heaviers advice

Hope it helps
These users thanked the author bitxopalo for the post:
Abaltasis (Sun May 15, 2022 5:34 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sun May 15, 2022 3:36 pm

Ask l'ours at Gong. He's a big guy, the bear...

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:44 pm
We have no idea if this is just pre sales PR, or true - for the respective new HA wings, and outline is just one dimension.

I've ordered a Fluid and Veloce High Aspect for wingfoil - so time will tell.

Of course expecting them to fit on both alu and carbon fuses, almost a given :thumb:

For kitefoil I see absolutely no use of these wings, as I want lively low aspect wings for that, but for wingfoil they work great (other brands at least), especially if you are not into fast carving that is, but prefer glide :rollgrin:

Others might have different preferences, and like HA wings for kitefoil.

I have chosen to believe in these Gong High Aspect wings thus as said bought two - looking forward :D

8) Peter
Peter, Which sizes have you gone for?
Also are you not tempted to go for one/some of the new (pro) stabs?
@75kg I’m mostly now riding (Wing) Fluid xl with fast 40 stab (thanks for your advice on this) but feel a slightly smaller stab could be beneficial.
I’m was also wondering about a slightly faster fluid LT but now there is the LH…..decisions!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 15, 2022 9:34 pm

I have chosen, for my 80 kg, the Fluid M-H AR 8.5 (span 92 cm area 994 cm2) and the Veloce XL-H AR 9.6 (span 105 cm area 1145 cm2) :D

For wingfoil only that is :thumb:

Cant see any reason to change my current thin small 214 cm2 stab.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post (total 2):
faklord (Sun May 15, 2022 9:53 pm) • 1234567Simon (Mon May 16, 2022 10:50 am)
Rating: 6.06%

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Mon May 16, 2022 1:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:34 pm
I have chosen, for my 80 kg, the Fluid M-H AR 8.5 (span 92 cm area 994 cm2) and the Veloce XL-H AR 9.6 (span 105 cm area 1145 cm2) :D

8) Peter
@peter: What's your experience with the new high aspect gong foils? Mind to share a bit?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 16, 2022 3:21 pm

I would share if I had any experience with these, but there is almost 3 months delivery time, so not possible :roll:

Sceotend
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 90 kg
Local Beach: Kallvik
Style: Snowkiting
Gear: Peak 4, 8m
Peak 5, 5m
Pansh Hawk 9m

Postby Sceotend » Fri May 27, 2022 11:56 am

I would love to do kite foiling treks like lone kiter (https://lonekiter.com/kite-trek-project/). Yet, he has a custom made board for that. Does anyone know whether there is a Gong board that would work well for trekking? how good for example GONG FOIL BOARD INFLATABLE HIPE (https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... able-hipe/) would be for this purpose? Also, what would be a good front wing for that? Lone kiter use Wing W790, which seems to be specs wise quite close to GONG FOIL ALLVATOR FRONT WING X-OVER front wing.

Black_Cat
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, Holland
Gear: RPM 8m, 10m, Fatlady 17m

Postby Black_Cat » Thu Jun 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Hi, Im a newbie to foiling, and really want to get into pump foiling/ Dock starts.... maybe onto surf foiling. Ive got access to a sloep, boat top speed around 10/12knotts. Im just wonding what gong foil set up you would recomend? (im 75kg)

Pro Fluid H
This sounds idea?
It maintains a strong lift at low speed thanks to its very hollow intrados. This is the crucial point of the Fluid: it is radical but it flies very easily. It is not a demanding front wing. It really is the easiest high ratio to fly and steer.

Pro Veloce H sound to advanced for progression
The pumping is mind blowing: you feel the wing flying as if nothing held you back. You need the technical level to launch this fast wing, but if you have the skills, then it’s the ultimate rush!

dimo79
Rare Poster
Weight: 70
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight, Nomad

Postby dimo79 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:27 pm

I am a beginner foiler 173cm, 68kg (5'7" 150lbs). I can get consistent flights and am pretty comfortable with basic maneuvers. I have been able to do a few tacks (though unsexy) but I have quite a ways to go.

I am looking to purchase a Gong set. I contacted them and the recommendation was Curve M or Fluid LT with a Curve stab. I like the idea of getting a couple of wings so I can cover a wider wind range. Would love to hear comments from experienced users. Thanks in advance!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:55 pm

dimo79 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:27 pm
I am a beginner foiler 173cm, 68kg (5'7" 150lbs). I can get consistent flights and am pretty comfortable with basic maneuvers. I have been able to do a few tacks (though unsexy) but I have quite a ways to go.

I am looking to purchase a Gong set. I contacted them and the recommendation was Curve M or Fluid LT with a Curve stab. I like the idea of getting a couple of wings so I can cover a wider wind range. Would love to hear comments from experienced users. Thanks in advance!
You don't specify what type of foiling! Kite, wing, surf? I am assuming kite. I have 2 years on a Gong Curve M set up. I'm 182cm & weigh around 82 kg. I'm not sure I really see the need to own a couple of wings to "cover a wider wind range". I use my Curve M from 10 knots to 30 knots. Could use it in lower winds if I had a bigger foil kite, but not really interested. I'm not sure you would need a larger wing for kite foiling in lower wind - probably different for wing foiling or surf foiling. At your weight you could probably use the S-T Curve wing, but the Curve M would be easier for learning gybes, foot switches etc. The Fluid LT would surely be too big for you. In the Fluid line you would probably want the M (more equivalent to the Curve S-T) or L-S (more equivalent to the Curve M).

Return to “Hydrofoil”