Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gong foils: discussion

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby mede » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:38 am

bitxopalo wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:36 am
Thanks mede
Can you pump in the lulls with the xls?
Yes, very nicely. I had a recent session in the South of France where the wind dropped to 5 knts at times, and I was pumping for a sustained periods without dropping off the foil.
These users thanked the author mede for the post:
bitxopalo (Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby 1234567Simon » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:53 am

Gong Fluid ST with Kite Stab
10meter Ultra
Wind aprox 8-10 knots
75 kg
Often Not beeing able to get the Body Out of the water because of too little wind

Once riding I would Not want bigger..... Maybe bigger because the ST IS very agile.... Too agile for me....
These users thanked the author 1234567Simon for the post:
bitxopalo (Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:19 pm)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 6:00 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 am
Imo it is way too big, it is not fun at all, with FS Peak kites you can kill all the kitepower, thus doable but in low wind conditions, 6/8 kts I prefer to take a FS Soul 12m and a fast freeridefoil (+/- 800cm2), above 8 kts it depends on mood and conditions wether I go for FS Soul 10m with freeride foil, or FS Peak 8m with wavefoil or go for Wingfoiling with 6-7m Wing and Fluid XLH etc..

If you got waves go prone or paddle in 5/6 kts .. :wink: 8)
Is clear now.
Only use the little peaks, 3&5....when its light I also prefer a double skin.

Kite Foil only at the local lake... For prone surf I had to drive one hour... Not too much but is usually crowded... So not ecological nor paceful.... Kite Foil wins for me even sub6knt :thumb:

dimo79
Rare Poster
Weight: 70
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight, Nomad

Postby dimo79 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:52 am

dimo79 wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:56 pm
Here is my shopping list for the benefit of kiters with similar profiles searching the post in the future
Beginner-Intermediate kite foiler, 68kg 173cm, primarily interested in riding waves - not seeking speed.
Curve M front wing
Curve 39cm small stab
Carbon Mast V2 - 85 cm
Allvator V2 Fuselage

Total with shipping to the US - 896,47€
I am loving my Gong setup. I’ve had about 10 sessions on it and works great for my current level. I still ride my beginner Alien Air board at 4” 8’ and feel like I am ready for something smaller.

Who here rides the Gong Catch board and how do you like it? I am quite comfortable with my flights at this point and at a 50% success rate with my transitions. At 67kg an 175cm would a 4” too big of a jump from my current gigantic board? I don’t mind a challenge but I don’t want to take too many steps back from my transition practices etc. Any other board suggestions are also welcome!

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:12 pm

No problem if you can foil, get the smallest Catch.
Switched from 150 to 118cm a while ago.. so much better feeling, don’t need shorter and definitely not bigger.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:24 am

dimo79 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:52 am

I am loving my Gong setup. I’ve had about 10 sessions on it and works great for my current level. I still ride my beginner Alien Air board at 4” 8’ and feel like I am ready for something smaller.

Who here rides the Gong Catch board and how do you like it? I am quite comfortable with my flights at this point and at a 50% success rate with my transitions. At 67kg an 175cm would a 4” too big of a jump from my current gigantic board? I don’t mind a challenge but I don’t want to take too many steps back from my transition practices etc. Any other board suggestions are also welcome!
Definitely don't get anything bigger than the smallest 4' Catch. Once you're able to consistently ride the foil, the size of the board you're on does not make much difference ... except that smaller is more manoeuvrable on the water & much easier to carry/transport on land. At first, water starting the smaller board will take a little getting used to ... but not much. Riding the board & completing transitions (on foil) won't really be any different on the smaller board.

I went from a 4'6" Dwarfcraft to a 3'6" Dwarfcraft about 3 years ago. It was an easy transition. I'm a bit surprised that Gong don't offer anything smaller than the 4' Catch. If you're importing the Catch into the US you may find the shipping cost quite high - you may be better off looking for a board in the US. The Slingshot 110 Dwarfcraft would be a good fit for you and is currently "on sale" for $699 US.

dimo79
Rare Poster
Weight: 70
Gear: Eleveight, Nomad

Postby dimo79 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:35 am

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:24 am
dimo79 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:52 am

Definitely don't get anything bigger than the smallest 4' Catch. Once you're able to consistently ride the foil, the size of the board you're on does not make much difference ... except that smaller is more manoeuvrable on the water & much easier to carry/transport on land. At first, water starting the smaller board will take a little getting used to ... but not much. Riding the board & completing transitions (on foil) won't really be any different on the smaller board.

I went from a 4'6" Dwarfcraft to a 3'6" Dwarfcraft about 3 years ago. It was an easy transition. I'm a bit surprised that Gong don't offer anything smaller than the 4' Catch. If you're importing the Catch into the US you may find the shipping cost quite high - you may be better off looking for a board in the US. The Slingshot 110 Dwarfcraft would be a good fit for you and is currently "on sale" for $699 US.
Thanks. I am currently in Europe and won’t be heading to the US before my winter trip to DR in December. Hence the interest in the Gong board. Let me see if I can find a carrier to DR :)
These users thanked the author dimo79 for the post:
1234567Simon (Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:48 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 4:48 pm

dimo79 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:35 am

Thanks. I am currently in Europe and won’t be heading to the US before my winter trip to DR in December. Hence the interest in the Gong board. Let me see if I can find a carrier to DR :)
I honestly don't think the board makes a huge difference. I would look for something that is light, strong and with reasonable size and volume ... and with a decent price.

Pontes
Rare Poster
Weight: 98
Style: Foiling
Gear: Liftfoil, Okes Foil.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pontes » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Very impressed with my new Gong kite setup - Monobloc 100cm + Curve ST/Fluid MT + kite stab 40. I'm a 95kg rider and the small curve ST pops me out of the water so easily from 10kt. I think this wing is very good balanced for alloround purposes. It's pitch/roll/yaw stable but very agile. I've reached 46 kmh with my 10m SST at 12kts. I have a 110cm custom pocket board with some tail rocker, and set the mast all back. Tried the fluid MT yesterday at 12kts, also very good, a little less roll stable than the curve ST, but maybe this will be the low wind wing. Both with great lift, better than my Lift 150 V2 setup. This combo has been worth every penny so far!
These users thanked the author Pontes for the post:
dekoter (Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:58 am)

Return to “Hydrofoil”