Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby faklord » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:33 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 am
mede wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:49 am
If the trailing edge of the Curve M whistles, (mine did), sand the suction side of the square trailing edge into something like a quarter circle. I did this, whistling gone.
"Suction side of the square trailing edge" - no idea what this means?

I sanded the trailing edge of the mast, the stab and the front wing. It was still making some noise during my session today, but less than previously.
This video explains what your trying to achieve.

It’s actually the high pressure side of the trailing edge you sand. (Lower side of front wing, top side of stab)
I have done this on a friends screaming stab and it worked!
These users thanked the author faklord for the post:
Flyboy (Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:24 am

ieism wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:54 pm
roQer wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:37 am
Does anybody know what is the weight difference between the new pro fuselage in aluminium and titanium? Based on the description on gong-galaxy.com the aluminium pro fuselage should be significantly lighter than the titanium version. It would be anyhow nice to post here the weights of some common Gong foil setups. This information is completely missing on their website.
I do not have the Titanium version obviously, but I can tell you the Aluminium Pro stab is a lot heavier than I thought it would be so if the Titanium is heavier than that it's not an option for me. I was thinking of hollowing it out, but there will just be water in there and that does not make it lighter i guess.
For info, I have just started a separate thread to list "gong hydrofoil component weights"
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2414048
These users thanked the author faklord for the post:
mede (Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:43 am)

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:35 pm

Flyboy wrote:
mede wrote:
If the trailing edge of the Curve M whistles, (mine did), sand the suction side of the square trailing edge into something like a quarter circle. I did this, whistling gone.

I sanded the trailing edge of the mast, the stab and the front wing. It was still making some noise during my session today, but less than previously.

In simple terms: you sand the non-logo side of the wing, and the opposite side of the stab (since the wing pushes up, and the stab pushes down).

The shape you are aiming for is according to this picture (Donaldson):
2kiQcrx.png

Pontes
Rare Poster
Weight: 98
Style: Foiling
Gear: Liftfoil, Okes Foil.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pontes » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:53 pm

Hi, I'm a 98 Kg, intermediate kite foiler. Average wind here is 10-15kts. Would the Curve ST suit me? Use to ride at 30-35 KM/H cruise speed. Is the Fluid MT a good second wing? About the mast, the V2 100cm monobloc is a really strong piece? I've been using Liftfoils 110 classic and 150 V2 Surf wings, but a heard some noises last session and found a tiny crack in my mast, in the joint with the fuselage. Unfortunally they don't sell 40" anymore. Thanks!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:43 am

faklord wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:33 am
Flyboy wrote:
mede wrote:

This video explains what your trying to achieve.

It’s actually the high pressure side of the trailing edge you sand. (Lower side of front wing, top side of stab)
I have done this on a friends screaming stab and it worked!
Thanks for posting .... however, it seems unbelievably precise to me. After sanding the foil (in a somewhat haphazard manner) I thought the whistling had been reduced, but another session made it apparent that this was not the case. Then, next time out I hit a rock really hard, straight on. (water level in Lake Erie down at the end of the season and must have hit precisely the shallowest spot in the "reef". As a result the from of the wing and parts of the stabilizer were quite damaged. I epoxied the damage over and then sanded it down using a file and then 80 sandpaper (and a little bit with 1000 to finish). Did not apply any of the sophisticated, delicate "rounding" sanding techniques. Took the foil out yesterday and today - bit hard to tell as is was very windy and so quite noisy on the water, but it does seem like the whistling is gone. I'll have to listen for it on a calmer day to be sure the whistling has gone.

I do wonder about the usefulness of fine sanding for the average free ride foiler like myself. The foils periodically get beaten up a bit, with little chips and scratches and I can't say I've ever felt it make an actual, noticeable difference to the way the foil handles.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:29 pm

some experience to share.
It's always a thing with Gong that what you want isn't on stock as you are ready to buy.. so since I was ready to go for the Pro Stab after first trying Fluid XLH on my monoblock mast I had to change my mast as well.. monoblock 85 became pro mast 100 since the 85 wasn't on stock.. same for the veloce H40 stab.. so Fluid H38 stab.

Well after 2 flat water sessions I was really happy with the 100cm mast and pro stab, no more drag feeling from the stab (had veloce S 39)
I'm on the Fluid XLH frontwing (and waiting for the MH), gybing and tacking was easier with the pro stab and also rail to rail carving turns were faster with the 100cm mast and pro stab then on the 85cm and normal stab.. didn't expect that with the extra mast length.
No more adapting between mast lengths.. kiting on 100cm and now winging also, great comfort.
Pro stab velocity gain so far: 5 km/h
Looking forward for a session with Fluid MT and MH to see how that goes..

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:07 am

Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 am
Hi, using Fluid XLT and MT, 70kg, monoblock 85cm and Veloce S stab.
XLT and kiting; way to big for me.
Hi Janus.
I am using curve M and still do not need to change, except for the very very light... Winter here 5-6 knot is ussual.

I am thinking on a huge wing for those days... I thought about the fluid Xlt that could take me out from a lull pumping... I also can use it for prone surf.... Curve is not good there....

I am wrong?... Is still too big for the very very light? I am 67KG and use the pulsion 12 on the very light.

Thanks in advance

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:56 pm

I'm using the fluid xls and the kite stab in very light wind (6-8 knts), with the kauper falcon 11m. Works nicely. Am about 7kg heavier than you. Guess the fluid XLT might be a bit large thus, never wished for a larger wing.
These users thanked the author mede for the post:
bitxopalo (Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:34 am)

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:36 am

Thanks mede
Can you pump in the lulls with the xls?

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:23 am

bitxopalo wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:07 am
Janus wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 am
Hi, using Fluid XLT and MT, 70kg, monoblock 85cm and Veloce S stab.
XLT and kiting; way to big for me.
Hi Janus.
I am using curve M and still do not need to change, except for the very very light... Winter here 5-6 knot is ussual.

I am thinking on a huge wing for those days... I thought about the fluid Xlt that could take me out from a lull pumping... I also can use it for prone surf.... Curve is not good there....

I am wrong?... Is still too big for the very very light? I am 67KG and use the pulsion 12 on the very light.

Thanks in advance
Imo it is way too big, it is not fun at all, with FS Peak kites you can kill all the kitepower, thus doable but in low wind conditions, 6/8 kts I prefer to take a FS Soul 12m and a fast freeridefoil (+/- 800cm2), above 8 kts it depends on mood and conditions wether I go for FS Soul 10m with freeride foil, or FS Peak 8m with wavefoil or go for Wingfoiling with 6-7m Wing and Fluid XLH etc..

If you got waves go prone or paddle in 5/6 kts .. :wink: 8)

Return to “Hydrofoil”