Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gong foils: discussion

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby Flyboy » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:10 am

So, tried out the Fluid M-T wing today (stuck with the 85cm mono bloc mast & Fast stab, so that I could just focus on the front wing). I was shocked at how different from the Curve M it felt! I crashed a number of times when water starting when the foil just seemed to drop under me suddenly.Once I got going I fell a few more times when the foil slipped sideways under me. I realized I had to dial down the pressure on my rear foot. After that I was able to ride OK, but the wind was getting lighter and I was now underpowered and actually had a hard time getting upwind.

Fascinating how, after 2 years exclusively using the Curve M, a similar size wing could feel so radically different. It feels like,with the thinner profile it generates considerably less lift & requires a more delicate touch. I'll have to experiment with it more when I'm more powered up ...
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
bitxopalo (Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:31 pm

Flyboy, I am more or less on the same point, I have the Curve M and very used to it. Really no need to change unless for the very light... After reading you I'm considering bigger fluid sizes... Just for using under 6knot and small surfing.... Lt or xlt??? Im 70kg

Thanks for your feedback

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:18 pm

bitxopalo wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:31 pm
Flyboy, I am more or less on the same point, I have the Curve M and very used to it. Really no need to change unless for the very light... After reading you I'm considering bigger fluid sizes... Just for using under 6knot and small surfing.... Lt or xlt??? Im 70kg

Thanks for your feedback
I don't know if you should go based on my one short session. Perhaps other Fluid users could weigh in with their experiences?

There's nothing I don't like about the Curve M ... but without comparing with other wings it's impossible to make an informed opinion. I previously owned 700 cm2 wings that may have felt more like the Fluid M-T ... but honestly it's too long ago to remember. My guess is that the thinness of the Fluid wing compared to the Curve makes a significant difference. Also, the curve of the Curve may offer more lateral stability. The point of the Fluid was to get better "glide", but although it is "looser" feeling, in the M-T size it doesn't offer the same lift as the Curve M and I would say it requires more wind to stay powered up. It could be that the L-S would be a better wing to approximate the performance of the Curve M but with better speed and glide.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
bitxopalo (Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm)

Zamed
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tayo Israel
Style: Free ride foiling
Gear: Gong
Has thanked: 0

Postby Zamed » Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:27 pm

In my opinion there is no need for a huge front wing to get going in light winds.
I'm 75 kg and switched from Curve MT to Fluid M.
I feel that my low end is almost the same but I do need to work harder.
By the way, I like to ride underpowered with the smallest kite I can.
On the water start I need to do more power strokes with the kite and pump the foil faster in the lulls to keep going.
It takes a few sessions to get used to it, but once your technique gets dialed in it's no big deal.
For me it's a no brainier... I prefer the faster pace and the liveliness of the Fluid.
These users thanked the author Zamed for the post:
bitxopalo (Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:35 pm)

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Postby GJibb » Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:36 pm

Hello friends.
I am wondering if a Fluid LS would be a good step up from a Curve L (Rise M previous to that. I also have a Curve LT).
Not looking for anything performance wise in particular. Typical "more glide, more speed" really, just the next progressive step...
If It helps I'm 250lbs, my quiver is an 8m Slingshot Ghost and a 5m Gong Strutless (along with a garage full of other equipment gathering dust)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:48 pm

GJibb wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:36 pm
Hello friends.
I am wondering if a Fluid LS would be a good step up from a Curve L (Rise M previous to that. I also have a Curve LT).
Not looking for anything performance wise in particular. Typical "more glide, more speed" really, just the next progressive step...
If It helps I'm 250lbs, my quiver is an 8m Slingshot Ghost and a 5m Gong Strutless (along with a garage full of other equipment gathering dust)
The Fluid wings are much thinner than the Curves and so generate significantly less lift. You weigh 70 lbs more than me, so I've got to imagine you would need (at least) the Fluid L.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 am

Hi, using Fluid XLT and MT, 70kg, monoblock 85cm and Veloce S stab.
XLT and kiting; way to big for me.
MT; works ok for a freeride riding type, turns really nice, but still a draggy feel compared to my other kiting setup. So I wouldn’t go bigger at my weight. Had an L too (only winged with it) great wing but for kiting I would stick to the T versions, accelerates much better.
At +100kg the LT would be a good one.

And yes I noticed too that for getting the same balance on the XLT and MT that I have to put the mast 2cm back with the MT.

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:22 pm

I (90kg) bought a Fluid L (1200cm) for kiting months ago.
The spot where I am allowed to kite never had wind when I had time and now is closed over the vacation season.
We just had there 20-25kn where my carve xlt and 5m Wing started to get sketchy.
Expecially the knee to hip high short wind swell starts to push against the foil.

I was surprised that it was quite manageble. Well, power to start was no issue, position maybe 3-5 cm farther forward, pitch was ok, yaw and role quite sensitive.
Shure it is more sensitive (maybe with a longer fuselage more accessable) but i only needed 2 rounds to adapt and go straight without any issues.
I had the feeling you need to push agains the foil to make it stable and with increasing speed it.
In the chop it was much more behaved and would more cut through and not being pushed.
Regarding glide and transitions I guess i need one more season on my back to even think about it. Escpecially in chop.
It was loud like hell, why my scratched XLT hardly makes noise.
I wondered how it would have been with a 4m wing though and in flat water at my other spot maybe with the 7m when he starts to pull too much with the big foil.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:09 pm

I think t's the change in yaw sensitivity that I really noticed over the Curve. This would make sense as the anhedral shape of the Curve would presumably provide more yaw resistance.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:22 pm

dirk8037 wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:22 pm
I (90kg) bought a Fluid L (1200cm) for kiting months ago.
The spot where I am allowed to kite never had wind when I had time and now is closed over the vacation season.
We just had there 20-25kn where my carve xlt and 5m Wing started to get sketchy.
Expecially the knee to hip high short wind swell starts to push against the foil.
I am 110Kg, and after the Fluid L I moved to the L-s.
There is a small, but very much appreciable, difference. L-s will stall a tad earlier, and is a bit more manouverable.
That is my front wing from 6-25+ knots.

At your weight, I would most certainly go for a L-s, or, if you don't mind some extra legwork, try an M or M-t.

The point of the -t versions is to add glide and pumping capabilities. Yes it will be harder to get on the foil when very underpowered, and it will stall quickly, but it can be recovered and it can be very fun in doing so, plus very limited thinness and less drag make for a much less "braking foil", which is essential in very light winds out of jibes or tacks. Larger wings sustain you more, but slow you down more, making ULW a penance out of every manouver.

Just my 2c, of course.

Return to “Hydrofoil”