Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby Janus » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:13 am

faklord wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:48 am
B19 ELS wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:36 pm
As title, I'm roughly 80kg and kite foil regularly and and fit and sporty.

Just got some wing gear. Never done it before. 120 litre board. 5m wing and just need a big front wing for my 65 V1 mast.
Do you guys think I could progress on a Gong Veloce XL and I can use it to dock start and wing?
Should I get the Curve XLT for small surf sessions, wing, and dock starts instead of the Veloce XL?

Any feedback and real world tips appreciated.

Ells
If you’re undecided between a curve and veloce, why not go with a Fluid?
Depending on your wind conditions you may want to consider an XXL, to learn on. Lighter winds, less chop/waves, slower and longer glides.
I’m about 75kg. Learnt on x-over xl. Then got fluid xl & xxl. I found everything so much easier on the fluid xxl (long forgiving glides when fumbling about with the wing). If there is decent wind (>15knots ) the fluid xl is now my go to wing.
One other thing is you may find a v1 mast a bit flexi for winging. V2 is way stiffer/better. Maybe v1 in 65cm is ok - I’ve not used anything that short.
I'm Winging on a Fluid XLT and MT now. 70 kg, learned on a XXLS.
For dock start and Winging @ 80 kg I would advise to take the XXLT. Dock starting the XLT is a bit too difficult for me ..
The fluid T versions feel so much better then the normal Fluid's ..
Take a smal & fast stab.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:02 pm

I have a question on the V2 alu stab, am I the only one who things this is unnecessary thick and heavy?

The weak point is obviously the connections and I wonder why the rest of the stab is not thinner or cored out or hollow. I have the new stab coming in a few months and I'm thinking of just using a router with v shaped bit to take some material away where it's not really needed. Anyone do this?

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:59 pm

Yes I thought so, too. At least for traveling a kilo less in the gear would be nice, so i give it a start this way.
I bought a 2nd fuse where I am at the moment reproducing the thin foil connection right behind the mast.
The back part of the Fuse I am doing with woodcore and carbon in the same way as the new extensions since I also wanted it to be a bit longer.
Since I wanted to have robust core for laminating the adapter sleeve, I am reducing the complete back part and cut a parts off.
I am using an accu driven flex and its a bitch of work. I thought I would have flexed off the excess alu way faster (rapidly empty old batteries, trying not to piss off neighbours...)
Will show some pics if I am successfull.

I had it already when Gong came out with the short pro fuses and really thought about to skip the flexing and buy one.
But the triangular connector put me off. Since I also working on some Wings I wanted to have one template for everything.
So I am still flexing.....
These users thanked the author dirk8037 for the post:
ieism (Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:06 pm

A picture would be great! I'm thinking of just grabbing a carbide bit and at least rounding off the material a lot more maybe make it more of a V shape than a square profile.
It's a shame they don't sell a lighter version of the regular fuse. It would be really easy on a CNC.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:41 pm

B19 ELS wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:36 pm
As title, I'm roughly 80kg and kite foil regularly and and fit and sporty.

Just got some wing gear. Never done it before. 120 litre board. 5m wing and just need a big front wing for my 65 V1 mast.
Do you guys think I could progress on a Gong Veloce XL and I can use it to dock start and wing?
Should I get the Curve XLT for small surf sessions, wing, and dock starts instead of the Veloce XL?

Any feedback and real world tips appreciated.

Ells
V.1 65cm Alu mast is a rather bad choice due to its high flex.
You'd be better served by splurging extra 230€ for a v.2 aluminium setup (mast+fuselage), which is a lot more rigid, needed for the large wingfoiling front wings.

If memory serves correctly, purchasing a full foil also saves you some monies :thumb:

PS
I'd go Fluid XL. Not the -T, which is more technical. It is a surf wing with extra glide :thumb:

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:45 pm

ieism wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:02 pm
I have a question on the V2 alu stab, am I the only one who things this is unnecessary thick and heavy?

The weak point is obviously the connections and I wonder why the rest of the stab is not thinner or cored out or hollow. I have the new stab coming in a few months and I'm thinking of just using a router with v shaped bit to take some material away where it's not really needed. Anyone do this?
Before drilling... you may want to check out the new PRO fuselages and stabilizers.

The new PRO aluminium fuselage, when paired with a PRO stabilizer (i.e. Fluid-H or Veloce-H) will save 40% of weight in the fuselage setup.
A current alu v.2 fuselage weighs about 900gr, so it should bring it down to 500gr or so, a very definite improvement. :thumb:

P.S.
there's also a Titanium PRO fuselage, hollowed out inside. But it's for super tough users. The weight reduction is only 20%, compared to the 40% of the Alu Pro fuselage.

P.P.S.
just thinking about it now: perhaps those fuselages are only compatible with the latest carbon masts? (which are sooo nice, by the way...)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:27 pm

I've ordered the new aluminium fuselage with longer stab, its not in stock yet. I think it's compatible with both the carbon V2 and alu v2 masts. I have the carbon V2 mast myself.
I just think it's worth a try to make the old one lighter.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:37 am

ieism wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:02 pm
...I'm thinking of just using a router with v shaped bit to take some material away where it's not really needed. Anyone do this?
Did it on 2 LF fuselages. For the first one I have used circular saw, and the result was shaped with sloppy and uneven cuts, but still perfectly rideable. For the second one I used table saw with much more precision. The result 1200g -> 700g. Almost any foil brand alum fuselage is around that weight.
These users thanked the author tegirinenashi for the post:
ieism (Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:06 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kit3surfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kit3surfer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:18 pm

Has anybody already tried to sand the leading edges of the front wings?
I have the feeling, that the leading edge of the fluid is a bit fat and slows the foil down. So I thought sanding it a bit thinner could be worth a try.
What could be the worst scenario to happen if I sand to much/how does the glassing support the sanding?

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:10 pm

kit3surfer wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:18 pm
Has anybody already tried to sand the leading edges of the front wings?
I have the feeling, that the leading edge of the fluid is a bit fat and slows the foil down. So I thought sanding it a bit thinner could be worth a try.
What could be the worst scenario to happen if I sand to much/how does the glassing support the sanding?
Don't think thats a smart thing to do.. Get the Fluid T if you want a thinner profile (and faster)
But my experience is thats just a little gain in speed (I'm using allready a Veloce S stab) The carbon mast is a bit thick and the fuselage is big and draggy too i guess..
You can skip the T and go for the H version and pro stab and fuse.. there is a reason Gong comes with that..

Return to “Hydrofoil”