dimo79
Rare Poster
Weight: 70
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight, Nomad
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby dimo79 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:35 pm

Yes, kite foiling. Thanks for the suggestions @Flyboy. Looks like Curve M is what I should get. Do you use the Curve stab with your Curve wing or another stab?

Kitereligion
Rare Poster
Weight: 71kg
Style: Free ride
Gear: Gong allvator foil
Crazyfly 115x44 chillboard
Helium3 kite 7m
Nitro5 10m
Nitro3 8m

Postby Kitereligion » Sat Jun 04, 2022 12:00 am

Front wing shoulg be oriented not only in user weight and discipline you must considered Cruise speed too. When beggining you need bigger wing
I remember my first try in hydrofoiling in 2014 with a 540 cm2 front wing. Ultra frustración!

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:48 am

dimo79 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:35 pm
Yes, kite foiling. Thanks for the suggestions @Flyboy. Looks like Curve M is what I should get. Do you use the Curve stab with your Curve wing or another stab?
I started with the Curve stab (which was different from the current Curve stab as it curved down instead of up like the newer one). Later I switched to the 40 cm Fast Stab (also called the Kite stab) which is a smaller, flat stab. The Fast stab creates less drag & is faster & smoother feeling. The Curve stab will provide more stability at the cost of speed & glide. I wouldn't over think it: any of the stabs (in the smaller size) will work fine for you. Once you become more experienced you may choose to experiment with different stabs.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 am

dimo79 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:35 pm
I would add that if you have the money you should go for the carbon mast without the fuselage attached. The V2 aluminium mast is quite heavy, and the monoblock carbon mast will not fit the new pro fuselages. I feel like they are going forward with these new stabs with longer slim fuse attached so just to keep your options open ... Maybe that's why the other carbon mast are on sale as well, they might be fased out .
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
dimo79 (Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:43 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

dimo79
Rare Poster
Weight: 70
Style: Freeride
Gear: Eleveight, Nomad

Postby dimo79 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:56 pm

ieism wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:22 am
I would add that if you have the money you should go for the carbon mast without the fuselage attached. The V2 aluminium mast is quite heavy, and the monoblock carbon mast will not fit the new pro fuselages. I feel like they are going forward with these new stabs with longer slim fuse attached so just to keep your options open ... Maybe that's why the other carbon mast are on sale as well, they might be fased out .
Thanks for the tip.

Here is my shopping list for the benefit of kiters with similar profiles searching the post in the future
Beginner-Intermediate kite foiler, 68kg 173cm, primarily interested in riding waves - not seeking speed.
Curve M front wing
Curve 39cm small stab
Carbon Mast V2 - 85 cm
Allvator V2 Fuselage

Total with shipping to the US - 896,47€
Last edited by dimo79 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:38 pm

If you get the V2 carbon mast you don't need the top plate. It has a plate build to the mast.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
dimo79 (Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:07 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:08 pm

Just get the 100cm Monoblock... So much cheaper... For the same Money you get a second Wing and a second Stab....

But really Not very travel friendly
Last edited by 1234567Simon on Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:30 pm

1234567Simon wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:08 pm
Just get the 100cm Monoblock... So much cheaper... For the same Money you get a second Wing and a second Stab....

Bit really mit very travel friendly
I thought about that, but not being able to mount all future stabs is a deal-breaker for me. I would be very surprised if they don't make more stabs with long tail next year. I spoke to them on the phone, and they confirmed the V2 is the way they will likely be going.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:13 am

ieism wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:30 pm
1234567Simon wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:08 pm

Bit really mit very travel friendly
I thought about that, but not being able to mount all future stabs is a deal-breaker for me. I would be very surprised if they don't make more stabs with long tail next year. I spoke to them on the phone, and they confirmed the V2 is the way they will likely be going.
It seems that Gong keeps producing their "older" models for a long time. They are still selling the V1 aluminum mast & fuselage. It appears that they are still manufacturing and are certainly still selling the 100cm & 85cm V2 mono bloc mast/fuselage and have a whole range of wings & stabs that fit them. They are even still selling the "Freeride" mono bloc mast which only fits the original 60 cm & 65 cm free ride wings.

The problem with the new carbon mast is that its quite heavy when combined with the V2 alu fuselage. They do appear to be addressing this with the new shorter alu fuselage which combines with the carbon extensions ... or the with the new longer stabs .. or with the new (much more expensive) titanium fuselage. It's a confusing range of options, but they are obviously building towards a completely new system. However, a lot of these developments seem to more oriented towards the demands of wing foiling rather than kite foiling. I suspect the mono bloc masts with the existing range of wings and stabs will be around for a lot longer & they still make a lot of sense for kite foiling offering a high quality product at a very reasonable price.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:11 am

That's true, they might still have a lot of monobloc masts in stock too. I think with the new stabs and fuse the weight difference is not too much and I can take it apart for traveling. I'll weigh it when the new stabs arrive. I think both mast are a nice piece of kit, especially for the price.

Return to “Hydrofoil”