Gong foils: discussion

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
seppalord
Medium Poster
Gear: FS
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby seppalord » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:59 pm

Good point regarding the board. I also use 3,6 Dwarfcraft, but with 1 front hook. This limits my forward stance. When I go fast with the veloce I bend over my front food quiet a lot, to keep it under control.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:56 am

I think you are right Flyboy, the Veloce has SO much less drag, and can go a lot faster, whereas the Curve hits the wall a lot earlier - thus it explains his observations :naughty:

8) Peter

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:37 am

By more front foot pressure, you mean it requires more front foot pressure? This comes back to the topic of whether stabs in general create additional lift ... or reduce lift. The "Fast" stab is completely flat, whereas the Veloce & Fluid stabs both curve a little bit down (anhedral). Does a downward curved stab not generate additional lift? That would mean the Fast stab creates less lift, less drag & has more speed potential?
Yes that's what I mean. "Feels bigger" on the gong chart means you need more front foot pressure, all other things being equal.
Anhedral /dihedral aspects are orthogonal - they influence other characteristics like yaw and roll - they make the ride feel more stable but less loose.

That is my current understanding at least. Probably an oversimplified one.

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:32 pm

Hi,
I am thinking of replacing my Alpine (the old Access) stuff I use for kiting, since I have a Gong for Winging (Curve XLT).
So I also thought about the Fluid. Should be bigger than the 700cm I have now. I am 90kg naked.
Looking for more glide in windswell but do not really care about km/h nore want a fickle race bitch.
And I found azoele for the infos - thanks for them.

I compared it with the descriptions of Gong and I want to ask in gerneral what you think of them since it did not rally goes along and differs even on the Gong pages

Fluid Overview page, Fluid L: In kite foil, it’s really big. It is ideal in turns and moves without traction, in surfing for example.
Click on the Buyers Guid, for the same: In kite foil: forget, it’s starting to get really big.
Veloce L: This front wing aims for pure high performance for riders weighing around 85kg or in strong wind.
... and In kite foil: from 80kg to 110kg. Which is fine but in general but sound way more HighPerformance than the description of azoele.

Thanks for Help

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:10 pm

dirk8037 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:32 pm
Hi,
I am thinking of replacing my Alpine (the old Access) stuff I use for kiting, since I have a Gong for Winging (Curve XLT).
So I also thought about the Fluid. Should be bigger than the 700cm I have now. I am 90kg naked.
Looking for more glide in windswell but do not really care about km/h nore want a fickle race bitch.

I compared it with the descriptions of Gong and I want to ask in gerneral what you think of them since it did not rally goes along and differs even on the Gong pages

Fluid Overview page, Fluid L: In kite foil, it’s really big. It is ideal in turns and moves without traction, in surfing for example.
Click on the Buyers Guid, for the same: In kite foil: forget, it’s starting to get really big.
Veloce L: This front wing aims for pure high performance for riders weighing around 85kg or in strong wind.
... and In kite foil: from 80kg to 110kg. Which is fine but in general but sound way more HighPerformance than the description of azoele.

Thanks for Help
Hi,
Kited yesterday with the Fluid L (stab Veloce s), 70kg. Got it last week (because the Fluid T's are not availble and in backorder..)
Bought it for higher wind wingfoiling but had low gusty winds and tried it my Wingboard (hipe 4.11) and Fluid L for kitefoiling with a Peak4 11m.
it is definatly great for kitefoil surfing style ! get a fast or veloce stab size s with it.

Edit 1/3; Also want to add that you should take the description of the foils from Gong with a "grain of salt" if you are already foiling.. meaning that you should look at the advanced / expert foils desciption.

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 am

Janus wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:10 pm
dirk8037 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:32 pm
Hi,

Thanks for Help
Hi,
Kited yesterday with the Fluid L (stab Veloce s), 70kg. Got it last week (because the Fluid T's are not availble and in backorder..)
Bought it for higher wind wingfoiling but had low gusty winds and tried it my Wingboard (hipe 4.11) and Fluid L for kitefoiling with a Peak4 11m.
it is definatly great for kitefoil surfing style ! get a fast or veloce stab size s with it.

Edit 1/3; Also want to add that you should take the description of the foils from Gong with a "grain of salt" if you are already foiling.. meaning that you should look at the advanced / expert foils desciption.
So you are 70kg and ut was nice for kitefoiling? So if I am 100kg I should go Fluid XL with smallest stab possible for lightwind, low speed foiling?

This is so confusing...

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:28 pm

Difficult Fatso, sometimes you just have to try things before you got what you like / want. Type of kite you use and riding style and conditions are part of the game too..
I have a Fluid XLT in pre order for low wind Wingfoiling because I found the XXLS not fast enough for my liking but it was good for turning.
Dirk8037 could try to kite with the Curve XLT and then find out what could be better, and order a frontwing to that. Do you already own a Gong set?
If you are confused you could contact Gong for advice, they are very helpful is my experience.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot
Gong Unik
GONG KITEFOIL ALLVATOR FREEWAVE

Postby Ulrik » Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:34 pm

Yes Gong is happy to help you choose the right setup 👍

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:08 pm

Janus wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:28 pm
Difficult Fatso, sometimes you just have to try things before you got what you like / want. Type of kite you use and riding style and conditions are part of the game too..
I have a Fluid XLT in pre order for low wind Wingfoiling because I found the XXLS not fast enough for my liking but it was good for turning.
Dirk8037 could try to kite with the Curve XLT and then find out what could be better, and order a frontwing to that. Do you already own a Gong set?
If you are confused you could contact Gong for advice, they are very helpful is my experience.
That's the issue though, I'm looking to buy my first set from Gong and my budget is not big so I would rather not have to buy 5 different wings...

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:54 pm

I wanted to try but have not had the chance yet (wind wise). But then I would be left with questions on how the feeling scales.
Altough if I compare the profile of the Alpine access with my Curve, I would say that the Alpine is more advanced and sophsiticated.
H105 like profile, not like a Chessna. I would rather stick with that and go up in size. I do not see the Curve as somthing that glides cause of its bulkieness even as an M.

I am rather a bit confused by the sizing suggestions of Gong. But I guess you just have to invest and test.

For the question of Fatso. Here is a similar discussion on winging and havier wights:
https://oaseforum.de/showpost.php?p=144 ... stcount=84
If you use google translate...
Seems to be more the xxlt and better technique....
These users thanked the author dirk8037 for the post:
Fatso (Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”