Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Gong foils: discussion

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:15 pm

Dont sand the leading edge of your wing, to try to decrease drag.

IMO it will make everything worse, as if made correctly the profile is very accurate and will not perform well if changed.

I am a bit confused in this thread, as many dont write if it is for kitefoiling or wingfoiling?

Usually VERY different wings needed/desired.
On a kitefoil a "T" or "H" wing will turn really slow, not much fun.
On a wingfoil it is needed for sufficient glide for any fun, big cost on turning speed though.

8) Peter

kit3surfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kit3surfer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:27 pm

Right, for me it is meant for kitefoiling. I like the turning/carvability, the lift and the glide of my fluid, but when racing upwind back to my starting point to ride some windswell, I would like to go faster. And I have really the impression that the foil could go faster if the leading edge would be a little thinner. There is this little bump in the front of the foil, or am I the only one seeing it?
And I don't want to switch to higher ar foils. Most other brands are slimmer (Moses, SS, Fone).

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:56 pm

I have a Fluid MT for higher wind Wingfoiling and lower wind Kitefoiling.. really nice combo frontwing But.. it is still far from the feeling I get when kitefoil with my kitefoil gear.. the MT still feels draggy.. slow boating feeling.. Thicker mast and fuselage I guess..
I think I will never get a similar feeling with Gong gear (and that’s fine, no prob) So I don’t try to get the same feeling, just enjoy the ride

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:56 pm
I have a Fluid MT for higher wind Wingfoiling and lower wind Kitefoiling.. really nice combo frontwing But.. it is still far from the feeling I get when kitefoil with my kitefoil gear.. the MT still feels draggy.. slow boating feeling.. Thicker mast and fuselage I guess..
I think I will never get a similar feeling with Gong gear (and that’s fine, no prob) So I don’t try to get the same feeling, just enjoy the ride
What is your kitefoil gear? :D

Janus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Janus » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm

kit3surfer wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:05 pm
Ketos, wings; Koolv2, WaveXL and FreeRace with stab S :D

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:26 pm

Janus wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm
kit3surfer wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Ketos, wings; Koolv2, WaveXL and FreeRace with stab S :D

Same here, except I sold my freerace wing, and use even smaller stabs now :thumb:

KoolV2 is by far my most used wing - for everything :rollgrin:

And a complete opposite to the wingfoil wings, where higher AR on cost of turning is needed.

My point is, I don't like the wingfoil wings for kitefoil, too high span even the small ones.

8) Peter

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 am

Would it be possible for anyone to measure the exact lenght of the 85cm monobloc ( the v2 version with integrated fuselage) from top of the plate - bottom of fuselage?
My 100cm monobloc is actually 105cm, so maybe interested in the shorter one for better carvability.
Thanks

Janus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Janus » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:39 pm

89,5 cm 8)

kit3surfer
Medium Poster

Postby kit3surfer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:45 pm

Thanks a lot Janus.
Unfortunately there it is nowhere to be found on the web. Either new or used as monobloc with integrated fuselage :-(

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:11 pm

kit3surfer wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 am
Would it be possible for anyone to measure the exact lenght of the 85cm monobloc ( the v2 version with integrated fuselage) from top of the plate - bottom of fuselage?
My 100cm monobloc is actually 105cm, so maybe interested in the shorter one for better carvability.
Thanks
You received the answer already, but I still wish to make a comment: yes, the 85cm is certainly more manouverable, but it comes with its own set of issues if you are used to the 100cm.

1) 85cm is a lot more comfortable if you are water-depth challenged, that is, if you often face light winds and you have long stretches of shallow water. Managing the kite in marginal winds, while trying to go farther for water deep enough to waterstart with the 100cm (with the board going underwater due to poor kite pull) makes the 85cm a very pleasant proposition.

2) the 85cm is more agile, and you'll feel it immediately. Nothing transcendental, just some extra help in manouvering.

So, is it all good?
For me, no.

A) if you ride small waves, 85cm is no problem. If you meet larger waves, the 100cm is your dear friend, because you'll have significantly more margin to overcome them instead of planting your board in the face of a very ripid wave coming at you.

B) the 100cm allows a much more relaxed riding: more space before breaching means less concentration all the time is needed

C) the 85cm calls for commitment to manouvers (especially tacks/toeside-tacks), as it is easier to have lift bring you up a tad and have you breach. I love the 100cm for toeside tacks.

I own both, but use almost exclusively the 100cm.

Lastly: the newest masts are amazing. Even more rigid than the old v.2 monoblocks. Their only issue was with the extra weight (on average 500gr over the monoblock v.2 due to the heavy - circa 1kg – fuselage).
But now, this has been solved too: the v.3 carbon masts accept the new PRO fuselages with the faster/less draggy stabs, so they are a win-win proposition.
For the 150€ (or so) difference, I'd go for the v.3 mast myself just for the added benefits.

That said, good luck, and have fun! :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”