kit3surfer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby kit3surfer » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:14 pm

Thanks for your comment. I experienced the same as you. 100cm nearly in all aspects better. Only nice roundhouse cutbacks (frontside) are a bit fickle and feel not very loose and relaxed as with my shorter mast. It is more kind of short snap or hack. Backside turns and carving rail to rail is more fluid though.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:46 pm

azoele wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:11 pm
kit3surfer wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 am
Would it be possible for anyone to measure the exact lenght of the 85cm monobloc ( the v2 version with integrated fuselage) from top of the plate - bottom of fuselage?
My 100cm monobloc is actually 105cm, so maybe interested in the shorter one for better carvability.
Thanks

But now, this has been solved too: the v.3 carbon masts accept the new PRO fuselages with the faster/less draggy stabs, so they are a win-win proposition.
For the 150€ (or so) difference, I'd go for the v.3 mast myself just for the added benefits.

That said, good luck, and have fun! :thumb:
I can’t see v.3 carbon masts on the gong website?
The most recent ones I can find are these https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... n-mast-v2/

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:27 pm

Surely the normal thing for all brands is for the mast height to be the height of the mast not including the fuselage?

90cm gives you a little extra leeway when it comes to breaching ... and 100cm a bit more. I've been using the 85cm mono bloc carbon mast for 2 years now. I'm very happy with it. I very rarely find myself breaching, even in larger waves. I think you adjust your riding to the height of the mast you're using. I guess a shorter mast offers more ease in transporting, carrying & maneuvering the foil, as well as better clearance when you're heading out from the shoreline. I've never ridden the same wings back-to back with different length masts to really evaluate the difference in carving feel.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am

faklord wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:46 pm
azoele wrote:
kit3surfer wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:33 am
Would it be possible for anyone to measure the exact lenght of the 85cm monobloc ( the v2 version with integrated fuselage) from top of the plate - bottom of fuselage?
My 100cm monobloc is actually 105cm, so maybe interested in the shorter one for better carvability.
Thanks

But now, this has been solved too: the v.3 carbon masts accept the new PRO fuselages with the faster/less draggy stabs, so they are a win-win proposition.
For the 150€ (or so) difference, I'd go for the v.3 mast myself just for the added benefits.

The most recent ones I can find are these https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/product/ ... n-mast-v2/
My bad.

I keep calling it v.3 because it is effectively GONG's 3rd carbon mast.
They had Monoblock v.1, Monoblock 2nd edition (currently available), and this new non-monoblock carbon mast (in my mind sort of v.3)

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:47 am

azoele wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am
faklord wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:46 pm
azoele wrote:

My bad.

I keep calling it v.3 because it is effectively GONG's 3rd carbon mast.
They had Monoblock v.1, Monoblock 2nd edition (currently available), and this new non-monoblock carbon mast (in my mind sort of v.3)
Thanks for clarification. :thumb:

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:29 pm

I ordered a new carbon foil from Gong on July 21st. The mast arrived (very quickly to Canada) on the 25th. For some reason the front wing & stabilizer were sent separately and have still not arrived. It's not at all clear where this second package is and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact Gong by Email to find out. Any suggestions?

GJibb
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: SW Ontario
Gear: LF/Gong/Slingshot Kites
Duotone TT/SB
Gong HF

Postby GJibb » Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:29 pm
I ordered a new carbon foil from Gong on July 21st. The mast arrived (very quickly to Canada) on the 25th. For some reason the front wing & stabilizer were sent separately and have still not arrived. It's not at all clear where this second package is and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact Gong by Email to find out. Any suggestions?
I've placed three orders this year (January, February and July). Each one took two weeks to get delivered to Ontario Canada. All items were noted as "In Stock" as of purchase. My orders were only pieces and not complete foils though.
I know it doesn't necessarily help, but its information...

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:41 am

GJibb wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:24 pm
Flyboy wrote:
I've placed three orders this year (January, February and July). Each one took two weeks to get delivered to Ontario Canada. All items were noted as "In Stock" as of purchase. My orders were only pieces and not complete foils though.
I know it doesn't necessarily help, but its information...
I have ordered three complete foils from Gong in the last two & a half years. All arrived in Ontario in about 5 days - which is pretty impressive. Well ... except this one, where the mast arrived separately in 5 days and the wing & stabilizer still haven't arrived. The two separate packages appear to have been shipped out at the same time. The thing I don't understand is why Gong did not pack the the wing & stabilizer together with the mast? But the frustrating aspect is that there is no way to contact Gong to check what is happening with the second package.

Atte
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Tablas island , Philippine's.
Style: Hydrofoil Freeride
Gear: Flysurfer soul, peak

Postby Atte » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:50 am

Flyboy wrote:
and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact Gong by Email to find out. Any suggestions?
https://www.gong-galaxy.com/en/help-contact/

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:59 am

You can chat with them live on the website, they are very helpful and knowledgeable in my experience.

Return to “Hydrofoil”