Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby Janus » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:57 am

ieism wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:49 pm
Is anyone riding the new Pro stabs yet, and what are your thoughts on it? I changed from a curve 39 to a pro fluid 42 mostly for weight savings but the difference is quite small. To me it feels like the new stab flies at the same speed but gets there a bit quicker. The whole setup feels more fluid and I get less "shake' from the foil overall. The whistle I had on my Curve is now gone. I'm riding a little narrower stance , but not sure why this is.

Gong does not recommend the pro stab with the Curve M, but it does work. Only wish they had made the new shot fuselage a bit lighter, it feels really heavy compared to all the carbon stuff now.
Why such a big stab when you have the choice for a smaller one? why not the 38?
Imo the smaller the better.. in stabs 8)

trendab
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 86
Local Beach: Urnersee Switzerland
Style: Freeride, Foil
Gear: Gong, Core, Duotone, Anton

Postby trendab » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:13 pm

I am riding the Fluid M with the 38 Fluid H stab on a 100cm V2 mast and Anton skater 115. Am 90kg intermediate. This works fine for me, is looser than the Curve M stab I used before. I don't feel much difference in terms of light wind ability. I like the setup and won't go back.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4: 4/5/8/11m
Dwarfcraft 4'6 Gong X-over foil

Postby ieism » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:46 am

Janus wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:57 am
ieism wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:49 pm
Is anyone riding the new Pro stabs yet, and what are your thoughts on it? I changed from a curve 39 to a pro fluid 42 mostly for weight savings but the difference is quite small. To me it feels like the new stab flies at the same speed but gets there a bit quicker. The whole setup feels more fluid and I get less "shake' from the foil overall. The whistle I had on my Curve is now gone. I'm riding a little narrower stance , but not sure why this is.

Gong does not recommend the pro stab with the Curve M, but it does work. Only wish they had made the new shot fuselage a bit lighter, it feels really heavy compared to all the carbon stuff now.
Why such a big stab when you have the choice for a smaller one? why not the 38?
Imo the smaller the better.. in stabs 8)
The 42 pro is actually smaller in cm³ than my small Curve stab, and I'm not a very advanced rider who needs more speed.

roQer
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Naish

Postby roQer » Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:37 am

Does anybody know what is the weight difference between the new pro fuselage in aluminium and titanium? Based on the description on gong-galaxy.com the aluminium pro fuselage should be significantly lighter than the titanium version. It would be anyhow nice to post here the weights of some common Gong foil setups. This information is completely missing on their website.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:10 pm

I know it's been discussed before: my 85cm carbon mono bloc mast with Curve M pro and Fast stab has started whistling. My original Gong alu mast combo whistled, but the carbon one was entirely silent ... up until a couple of months ago. Is it likely to be the mast, the front wing, the stab, or all of the above? There are some scratches to the wing and (very minor) to the mast.

Janus
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Private Kite & Wing Beach d'Epine
Style: Freeride
Gear: *

Postby Janus » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:21 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:10 pm
I know it's been discussed before: my 85cm carbon mono bloc mast with Curve M pro and Fast stab has started whistling. My original Gong alu mast combo whistled, but the carbon one was entirely silent ... up until a couple of months ago. Is it likely to be the mast, the front wing, the stab, or all of the above? There are some scratches to the wing and (very minor) to the mast.
Make sure all is clean. Sometimes small pieces of clay cause small irregularities and thus whistling.
Perhaps a bit sanding with waterproof sandpaper 1000 at all TE’s can solve it. There are some vid’s about it.
These users thanked the author Janus for the post:
Flyboy (Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:12 pm)
Rating: 6.67%

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Sri Lanka West Coast
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi
Style: Strapless surfing, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Gong Curve & Fluid, Kauper Falcon 11m, Blade Trigger 5m & 8m & 10m, Storm Voyager 13m
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:49 am

If the trailing edge of the Curve M whistles, (mine did), sand the suction side of the square trailing edge into something like a quarter circle. I did this, whistling gone.

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly kite foil and wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4, 3m regular Slick, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce LT/XXL, Gong Fluid MT/LT/LH, pro Fluid 42cm/45cm stabilizers, Gong 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast

Postby Dave K » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:19 am

Since I’ve been a dedicated Gong foil user for winging going on 3 years, I finally decided to sell my older Moses (SAB) kitefoiling rig . It was the classic Moses 633/483 combined with the 72cm and 82cm surf masts. A great kitefoiling rig, but it was time to consolidate to one brand. So I sold the Moses gear and picked up a Fluid MT as my kitefoil front wing. 78 kg rider.

I’ve been winging about 90% and kitefoiling about 10% but I’d like to make it 80/20 since I really miss kitefoiling, especially on those lighter 8-12 kt days where winging can sorta work for me but kitefoiling is just way more fun.

So very first kitefoil session on the Fluid MT, Fluid H 42cm stab, Al pro fuselage and 75cm V2 aluminum mast for this shallow location. I knew I’d probably prefer the Fluid H 38cm for use with the Fluid MT, but I already owned the 42cm stab for winging so figured I’d just start with that. Winds were up and down 7-14 kts. On my Airush 10m Ultra and my 120cm (another classic) Groove Skate.

Very happy with the new rig. Fast, carvy, with great glide. Dead silent. I guess I just like the way Patrice designs foils. Probably will pick up a Fluid H 38cm stab to loosen things up a bit more. Even looking forward to winging with the Fluid MT on high wind days. My general go-to winging rig is the Fluid LT/Fluid H 42cm stab/V2 85cm carbon mast. Cheers!
FF64827E-1212-44FA-A2C8-1CD261654934.jpeg
FF64827E-1212-44FA-A2C8-1CD261654934.jpeg (87.16 KiB) Viewed 938 times
00CD32A3-F803-47AF-B57B-B64A23EA12B3.jpeg
00CD32A3-F803-47AF-B57B-B64A23EA12B3.jpeg (148.13 KiB) Viewed 938 times

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4: 4/5/8/11m
Dwarfcraft 4'6 Gong X-over foil

Postby ieism » Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:54 pm

roQer wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:37 am
Does anybody know what is the weight difference between the new pro fuselage in aluminium and titanium? Based on the description on gong-galaxy.com the aluminium pro fuselage should be significantly lighter than the titanium version. It would be anyhow nice to post here the weights of some common Gong foil setups. This information is completely missing on their website.
I do not have the Titanium version obviously, but I can tell you the Aluminium Pro stab is a lot heavier than I thought it would be so if the Titanium is heavier than that it's not an option for me. I was thinking of hollowing it out, but there will just be water in there and that does not make it lighter i guess.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:45 am

mede wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:49 am
If the trailing edge of the Curve M whistles, (mine did), sand the suction side of the square trailing edge into something like a quarter circle. I did this, whistling gone.
"Suction side of the square trailing edge" - no idea what this means?

I sanded the trailing edge of the mast, the stab and the front wing. It was still making some noise during my session today, but less than previously.

Return to “Hydrofoil”