A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Gong foils: discussion

Postby Flyboy » Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:07 pm

Fatso wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:04 am

Thanks to both for your opinions, I had written a post outlining what I needed help with in the thread but no one saw it:

I am looking to get a gong foil full carbon soon.

I seem to have a similar weight profile to you, I am 95 to 100kgs, 1m80cm. Intermediate foiler, got myself a Peak5 in 6m and I usually foil between 10 knots and 18 to 20 max currently using a Zeeko alloy blaster (70cm mast that I like) not looking to get into winging.

My goal is to ride small waves at rather lowish pace hence I wish to have a carving machine, no jumping nor speed... So looking at your breakdown of the different wings it seems that the 75cm monobloc carbon paired with a fluid wing in L and a small curve stab. What do you think, should I go bigger? Different model?

I think this explains what I was after...
OK - that clarifies things considerably. Have you lost weight ... because previously you wrote that you were 105 - 110 kg? If you're already an "intermediate foiler" and you get a bigger wing than the Zeeko Blaster you may find that you are very quickly a better foiler than previously! So, I'm not sure I would get either the Rise or the X-Over.

With regard to the mast: I had a Carve M alu foil (90cm) & upgraded to an 85cm mono bloc a year ago. The mono bloc is awkward for traveling, not just because of its length, but because of its "width" also. If you have very particular packing requirements, I would bear that in mind. In combination with the depth issues at your local, I would perhaps advise gong with alu, rather than carbon. That way you could inexpensively get a couple of different mast lengths. The carbon monobloc is nice, but I wouldn't say there is a huge performance difference between the carbon & alu.

Finally, as you are not a beginning foiler, I would get the Alu Carve set up with the L front wing. It's very inexpensive and perfect for the conditions you're describing. Add a second mast at 80cm. You could always add a mono bloc carbon mast later.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
Fatso (Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:32 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:38 pm

Hi Fatso

You are right, it is confusing what to choose.

But this goes for ALL brands, they have to write what they believe is considered "normal".

In reality they do the best they can, but pretty useless for first time buyers - its just how it is.

If you have been windsurfing or kitesurfing for many years, you will know this - but you havent, and dont have the option to buy more than one wing, maybe one more later.

Regarding your specific request, my advice:

You are a bit over average weight, and want carving and fun in waves.

Go with either an Alu V2 mast or a carbon monobloc 85 cm mast.
Not that much difference in weight though, but the carbon is nicer.
I have both, although for wingfoil - use another brand for kitefoiling.

And a Curve L front wing, or a Curve LT if you want to glide a bit more, definitely.

It turns SO much faster than the Fluid, which turns faster than the Veloce.

Only if you are not keen on a lively fast turning foil, but mostly seek to surf the waves without any kitepower, the two other wings glide better yes.

Not in doubt, go with the 85 mast and Curve L or LT.

The even thicker beginner wings are something to avoid - works perfect for newbees, especially for wingfoil, but for you, no.

You will be able to use the Curve L or LT for everything, and I dont think you will need to change it later, with your "wishes" for kitefoiling.

Stab?
Doesnt matter - just pick one...
If small, more lively and fun, if medium, more stable and easier to learn to make transitions and switching feet.
Stay away from the big ones though.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Fatso (Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:45 pm)

Kitereligion
Rare Poster
Weight: 71kg
Style: Free ride
Gear: Gong allvator foil
Crazyfly 115x44 chillboard
Helium3 kite 7m
Nitro5 10m
Nitro3 8m

Postby Kitereligion » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Helĺo fórum, i have the curve m and fast stab and weigh 70 kgs.
Curve m is a good all around for kitefoiling front wing at slow and médium speeds.at high speeds(18 kn up) its heavy front footed. I like The wing but use it mainly for light wind. Ive been considering the idea of a smaller and less fisical wing at médium to higher wind in sea.
Choises: curve st(800 cm)fluid ms(800 cm) and fluid m(900 cm). Will i loose too much los end? Do i chance the model for fluid or keep the in The curve familia? Im dont know waht to expect from fluid m and the curve st.
Azoele do you have any suggestions?

Kitereligion
Rare Poster
Weight: 71kg
Style: Free ride
Gear: Gong allvator foil
Crazyfly 115x44 chillboard
Helium3 kite 7m
Nitro5 10m
Nitro3 8m

Postby Kitereligion » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:05 pm

The curve m allowed me to Drop kitesize and extend my low end Spoiling me to use smaller kites
Using my 7m 12 kts tô 17kts and using a 5m.from 17 up tô 23knts.do i get a 4m kite or buy New front wing(smaller)?
Which Will bring more rewards?
Experience?

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:40 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:38 pm
….

Stab?
If small, more lively and fun, if medium, more stable and easier to learn to make transitions and switching feet.

8) Peter
Peter
If you had to choose one, which stab would you pick for Fluid XL (Wingfoil)?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:09 pm

faklord wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:38 pm
….

Stab?

8) Peter
Peter
If you had to choose one, which stab would you pick for Fluid XL (Wingfoil)?

I have the Fluid XL for wingfoil, and use the Fast M 210 cm2 stab.
The smallest I could get - works great :thumb:

The other small sizes will work just as fine though.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
faklord (Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:42 pm)

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 pm

Anyone tried the Fluid MT?
I'm 75 kg/179cm

Looking for a faster than Curve M wing that I use now.
Primarily I want better range for tackling the 20 knot swell waves we have and still be able to turn in the waves.
It's a plus if I don't loose to much low end.

Con you pump the fluid or do you have to go all the way to Veloce to get that?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:17 pm

AndersP wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:29 pm
Anyone tried the Fluid MT?
I'm 75 kg/179cm

Looking for a faster than Curve M wing that I use now.
Primarily I want better range for tackling the 20 knot swell waves we have and still be able to turn in the waves.
It's a plus if I don't loose to much low end.

Con you pump the fluid or do you have to go all the way to Veloce to get that?

You can pump the Fluid just as well as a Veloce, maybe better.

Why do you want to be able to pump the wing?
We are talking kitefoil here, and not wingfoil - I never have any use for pumping when kitefoiling - only when wingfoiling.

But yes, the Fluid MT will have WAY more range than the Curve M, and be faster in speed, and glide a lot better, eventhough same area wings.
Turn a lot slower though, thats the cost....

8) Peter

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:51 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:17 pm

But yes, the Fluid MT will have WAY more range than the Curve M, and be faster in speed, and glide a lot better, eventhough same area wings.
Turn a lot slower though, thats the cost....

8) Peter

That's my question really. Have considered ordering a Fluid LS or a MT. But I'm not sure I'm really looking to increase speed & glide. Speed & glide are nice characteristics - possibly more important for prone & SUP foiling & winging - but for carving in the waves with a kite I'm not sure I shouldn't just stick with the ol' trusty Curve M. There's still plenty of glide for linking turns in swell using the kite to generate a little extra speed when necessary, but I really want to be able to carve tightly on the wave face - I'm not sure extra glide & speed are an advantage for that. I can still crank out some speed with the Curve M when I want to it, but I can feel some drag on the foil when I reach those speeds.

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:02 am

Peter Frank
"Why do you want to be able to pump the wing?
We are talking kitefoil here, and not wingfoil - I never have any use for pumping when kitefoiling - only when wingfoiling."

When I'm kiting home downwind in a dying seabreeze far away from shore it is very convenient to be able to be able to pump the foil to keep going and have the kite flying. Almost allways I manage to get back home with some pumping on my curve just when I'm about to stall the foil and the kite is about to fall down but it is hard work.

Looping the kite a lot is also an option but straightlining towards the shore with some pump assist i believe can lead to a non swimming end of the session.

With the Fluid MT I think this would be easier.

Return to “Hydrofoil”