JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Winging in light wind is fun?

Postby JoseTumaco » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:02 am

I kite foil usually Between 8 to 12 knots in my spot, use Moses 679 wing, 12 M Soul, 91 mast, 1,20 board, 73 kg. It is fun, as I can even jump.
Could I use a wing in this condtions and have fun?

Thanks,

José :jump:

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Wingimg in light wind is fun?

Postby OzBungy » Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:15 am

no

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Re: Wingimg in light wind is fun?

Postby Lamilu » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 am

Never done it…have to confess…
Bigger everything is already a traveling inconvenience…
But wearing board and wing leash?
Oh no…
One of the only spots where I can imagine some fun with a setup like this is NE Brazil, where you can ride DOWNWIND close to shore as long as you want and still be easily rescued.
As said, never done it, but in theory I envision this sport as a “surfing downwind ocean swell” cause that is when you can cancel the wing.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Re: Winging in light wind is fun?

Postby azoele » Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:19 pm

I do not wing, but wish to try.
Apparently, light wind ought to be a bane of wingers...
And yet... And yet: I routinely meet kitefoilers who are able to ride in very light winds (6 knots) who choose instead to wing even at 8 knots, waiting for that tiny gust to fly.
Each one of them *swears* winging is just immensely fun and rewarding, and that after trying winging they either relegate kitefoiling to those sub 8 knots sessions, or sell all their kitefoil stuff altogether.

Others also love the fact you can wingfoil in any spot, official or not (no need for a dedicated space) and the fact that offshore riding is safe and rewarding, while it requires big cojones with a kitefoil.

So: from what I have seen, no one jumps in 12 knots... but I wouldn't bet they can not in 12 :D
Also: when wind is nasty (i.e. with much variation, like 3-12) wingers have fun: they wait for the gust to lift up, and then their huge super glidey foils allow them to glide without power with the wing held in a hand waiting for the next gust, with the occasional pumping. In the same conditions I was heaving a very tough time on a surf-type kitefoil, and a very light 10m LEI.

There must be something that makes it so fun, even in the face of how apparently difficult or inefficient it is! :D
These users thanked the author azoele for the post:
JoseTumaco (Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:37 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:07 pm

Same here…
Will try…Do see experienced kitefoilers diving into winging…
They swear ill love it…since I have windsurfing backgroung…
Just have my hands full trying to master kitefoiling still…
Threads telling inumerous boards dont help…I am heavy…starting with 130L…when I get to 70/80L my savings will be gone…

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 pm

Short answer to OP's question is, "No" (like OzBungy said). Winging in LIGHT wind is nonexistent. It takes much less wind to kitefoil than to wingfoil. I frequently kitefoil (and have fun doing it) when no one else is on the water (except SUPs/kayaks/etc.). Wingfoils start to come out when the wind picks up. So, if you're asking about LIGHT wind, stick to kitefoil.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:07 pm

No !

When you have just learned, you wing in light wind because it is awesome fun :thumb:

Later you dont, but wait till above 14 knots (where you can kitefoil with a 4 m2 Peak)

If you are really good and can do all kind of smart tricks, you might find it fun in light wind, winging.
A very good winger can ride in 10 knots yes, but very few who can.

But for the average Joe like me, it is not fun (actually not possible in this low wind), only if a tad of waves to glide on, and even here it is not the same using big wings - not that much fun.

The diversity of doing both is great though, I like that, but pushing the low end winging is really the worst - as you are sometimes parked and can do nothing but slog along trying not to drop, waiting for a puff, a lot worse than windsurf in too light wind.

As soon as it is 15 knots wing is great though.
But a lot more cumbersome compared to kite hydrofoil which takes up a lot less space in the car, faster to rig and get out or in.

For us windsurfers or ex-windsurfers, wingfoil feels soooooo good, same feel holding and balancing the wind :naughty:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
JoseTumaco (Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.

Postby JoseTumaco » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:46 am

Thanks a lot to all of you, I will keep my kitefoil stuff then, because I my normal wind is between 8 and 12 knots.

For winging do you think 15 knots is the minimum to wing with fun?

Jose

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:39 am

Depends...
There's no question that kitefoiling is more efficient, nimble and all. It's just that sometimes kitefoiling isn't an option, or is not the most suitable option, if wind is a bit sketchy, or if launch is tricky. Winging is much more resilient to that. You can wait or shlog or even shlog upwind. On a kite, when wind is getting really sketchy, you have to keep kite moving/loop it, and that takes you downwind, which can be very stressful depending on the spot. And even if wind doesn't turn to custard during that session, it's still in the back of your mind that it has happened in the past and that it can happen again today, so you can't fully relax and enjoy kiting that sketchy spot. Not that winging allows you to be completely reckless and oblivious to basic safety on water, but it has the advantage there.

I'd say 12kts can be fun times winging, if it's a nice summer day on the water, that's all good. Take off in 12kts gusts and glide through the sub 10kts lulls, on nice smooth water conditions in a nice scenery. There's a bit of effort involved to get on the foil, but it can still be fun. But before you can do that, you have to clock some hours in 15kts+, learn your gear, refine your pumping, get fitter, etc... So initially 12kts is not going to be fun at all. Just lots of hard work for very little foiling reward, if any. But yeah, that depends on lots of external factors. In the middle of winter on a gray day, that'd be a pass!
8-12kts is pretty awesome on a skateboard though, helps build up some wing handling skills.

Clarencephil
Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride

Postby Clarencephil » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:01 pm

Right now, I am in El Medano, Tenerife for a couple of months
The wind has not been strong everyday, but I have been surprised to see Wingers going out and enjoying themselves in 10 to 12 knots. An eye-opener for me.

Return to “Hydrofoil”