Learning to kitefoil on small pocket board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Learning to kitefoil on small pocket board

Postby tomtom » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:47 am

GJibb wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:19 pm
I dont know what everyones problem is. What skills translate directly from surface board riding to foiling?
Dude if you can stand up on a kiteboard, regardless of upwind or downwind, then you can go right to foil. Its a different skill set. Different kite control, different board balance, everything is different.
Plus that foil is literally perfect for it. The board might be interesting but the whole thing doesnt get learnt (learned?...) overnight.
Give it an honest go, why not! Wish I jumped onto my foil earlier

Maybe kite flying?

MadDoggy
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Brighton Le sands
Style: Twin tip but want to lead kitefoiling
Gear: Core xr6 12m
Cabrinha spectrum 147cm
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby MadDoggy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:50 am

Hey all, I’m back to hopefully get your advice on the 2020 127cm Naish hover S25 hover foilboard.

There’s a good deal on this board second hand.it seems like it might be a good compromise for someone starting out to both learn and progress on…

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance…
Attachments
1F6E5885-E4CC-49E7-8BF8-3C5E7F6C43AD.jpeg
45B5FFE0-EB9E-4425-A5F1-8D179521DEE7.jpeg

Axis1050
Medium Poster
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Caves Beach
Favorite Beaches: All
Style: Windwing
Gear: Moses
, Naish, BRM Cloud and Axis

Postby Axis1050 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:42 am

Should be ok and easy to sell if required
These users thanked the author Axis1050 for the post:
MadDoggy (Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:30 am

MadDoggy wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:50 am
Hey all, I’m back to hopefully get your advice on the 2020 127cm Naish hover S25 hover foilboard.

There’s a good deal on this board second hand.it seems like it might be a good compromise for someone starting out to both learn and progress on…

Thanks for your thoughts and guidance…
Don't run into the bottom. I've seen a half-dozen of these, they all ended up breaking in front of the fin box from running aground. All bar one, I should say...
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
MadDoggy (Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:03 pm)

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:50 pm

The modern Core board you have, still have?, (see pic below), would be better than the Naish 127. It is slightly wider with approx. equal surface area, parallel rails and most importantly it has the tracks right at the rear of the board whereas the Naish does not. The Naish board was designed for smaller area, more kite specific foils, (I sell Naish gear), whereas the Core is designed to work with modern surf foils which is the type of foil you have.

I believe you are overthinking the whole process and relying on way too many points of view on this forum and other advice, none of which gives you an absolute answer to what you are seeking. Considering you are still in your early stages of TT riding you need to practice this, test your skills on an ordinary 6ft or less surfboard, which is a directional board like a foil board and then if you're not dropping the kite try the foil gear you have.

When you are actually practicing TT, surfboard and foiling with a kite, (or boat), you will will have experiences and questions which can be much easier to answer because these experiences and questions will directly relate to the reality of kitesurfing & foiling and your local conditions & capabilities.
CORE_Kiteboarding_SLC_Foil_Board_Top_Bottom_Side_1200.jpeg
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
MadDoggy (Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:38 pm)

MadDoggy
Rare Poster
Cabrinha spectrum 147cm

Postby MadDoggy » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:49 pm

drsurf wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:50 pm
The modern Core board you have, still have?, (see pic below), would be better than the Naish 127. It is slightly wider with approx. equal surface area, parallel rails and most importantly it has the tracks right at the rear of the board whereas the Naish does not. The Naish board was designed for smaller area, more kite specific foils, (I sell Naish gear), whereas the Core is designed to work with modern surf foils which is the type of foil you have.

I believe you are overthinking the whole process and relying on way too many points of view on this forum and other advice, none of which gives you an absolute answer to what you are seeking. Considering you are still in your early stages of TT riding you need to practice this, test your skills on an ordinary 6ft or less surfboard, which is a directional board like a foil board and then if you're not dropping the kite try the foil gear you have.

When you are actually practicing TT, surfboard and foiling with a kite, (or boat), you will will have experiences and questions which can be much easier to answer because these experiences and questions will directly relate to the reality of kitesurfing & foiling and your local conditions & capabilities.

CORE_Kiteboarding_SLC_Foil_Board_Top_Bottom_Side_1200.jpeg
Hi dsurf, I apppreciate all your thoughts avd recommendations. To clarify, I don’t have the core slc set-up. I was on this forum to see if it would be a good set-up for me to get stated on. Since it’s a large investment I wanted to be sure before rushing in.

I did manage to buy an as new second hand Armstrong cf300 rear wing fir $100 aud. I also ended up biting the above naish board, just yesterday, for $500 aud. I figured it was a good price so if I find it too difficult to ride I could just resell it.

At this point in time, I’m still looking fur the Armstrong 85cm mast, Armstrong 60cm fuse and ch1200 front wing. Then I’m all set to start practicing behind the boat.

I do realise that it’s early in my riding to be thinking of foiling but I just seem to have foiling on the brain and I wanted to be able to practice my foiling behind a boat in our off season which starts in a month or two. Additionally, it wound give me some time to look out fur quality used gear to amass some good gear for when I eventually start practicing.

I do appreciate that I may be coming across as over thinking it but my kiting budget is pretty limited so I want to get myself gear I can still practice but Audi progress on.

Tgr good news is that I’m almost there. Just need a few more bits and pieces. Thanks again for all your guidance.

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:32 pm

The cf1200 and 300 stab will be awesome for you, enjoy
Last edited by papasmerf on Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:33 pm

whatever you end up on, I applaud your early entry into foiling. It took right over for me and my beautiful surfboards get very little use. On that note. Dsurf has great advice. I'd also encourage you to get a little taste of using a surfboard with a kite as an orientation to directional boards. In the early stages we tend to smear twin tips through turns and to scrub speed. Absolutely zero of that is available to you on foil. The surfboard is a nice in between in that its pretty directional, but you can still scrub a little speed with your edge, just not as much as a twin tip. Will be a healthy orientation to what your heading for on foil. Scrubbing speed will be all about pointing upwind and raising your kite in the window on foil and it will take you a bit to break your twin tip habits.

Gonna be an adventure!

Stick with it.... well worth it.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:50 pm) • MadDoggy (Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:37 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

MadDoggy
Rare Poster
Cabrinha spectrum 147cm

Postby MadDoggy » Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:42 pm

papasmerf wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:32 pm
The cf1200 and 300 stab is a dog of a setup for kiting. (I demo’d for a week) The new core stuff is way better. (Also tried) You’re wasting a lot of time and money on piecing together a set up. I can’t believe there are not some mates in aus who would help you get squared away with some decent gear.
Dog if a setup??? Why? Very strange comment coming from someone that rode the setup for a full week.

Core setup is aluminium and heavier and only available in two sizes. In what way is it superior to Armstrong? One liners being tossed around without any substantiation.

You mean to say I should have mates that are selling me their old gear. Are you serious?

Mate, did you just wake up this morning after having a bender last night?

Return to “Hydrofoil”