Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New to foiling gear advise

Postby glfmkg » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:29 am

glfmkg wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:55 pm
Hello All,

I have been kiting for a while and I'm very confident rider including loops, jumps, etc on a twin tip. I decided to learn to foil this year. I got a good quiver of kites for foiling/surfing (3 Airrush Ultra kites 9-12-14) but wanted to ask you about a wing/mast/board that you can recommend to make the process of learning as easier as possible.

I'm planning on learning behind my boat first and once I feel confident flying the foil, going to take a few classes to get started with the kite.

I'm 100kg/220lb, 6"4 and normally kite in flat water during the summer and very consistent winds or choppy water in the winter in gusty winds. I also kite in cold water, so we wear a lot of gear! so maybe add a few kilos/pounds to my weight dressed. I live in the west coast of Canada, so some European brands may not be easily available here in Vancouver. The idea is to foil during sub 20knots winds for now - For reference I can easily get moving on a 14m kite with around 14knots of wind using my 165 Mako and using my 17m kite I can get moving in about 12knots using the same board.

Questions:

- Which wing/mast do you recommend? - remember the goal is to make the process the easiest - I will sell the gear once I'm a confident rider so I don't want to buy something that will make the process longer but it will be good for when I'm better.
- Which board do you recommend - Ideally a board that I can use strapless in the surf (yes I surf) so I don' have to take too many boards to the beach.

Thank you in advance,
G.
I wanted to give you all an update on my learning process. I ended up getting a Moses 633W wing, 90cm mast and T65 foilboard.

I spent about 4 sessions learning to use the foil behind a boat (about one hour each) - The first session was an absolute disaster, I did no get up on the foil and/or taxi the board , it was pretty much an hour of falling and swallowing water and some pretty impressive crashes LOL. My next session was about the same for the first 30 minutes and all the sudden I was up and riding for short periods, but managed to have some longer flights at the end of that session. For the rest of the sessions it was a matter of just getting used to flying and managed to start carving a bit in the last one. I did try to go on my wrong foot, but no dice! I was not able to do it behind the boat.

With that done, I called my fav instructor and setup the first foiling session with the kite. I didn't want to develop any bad habits from the get go and I'm glad I did. I spent the first half/hour trying to figure things out and basically getting up on the board using the kite. After a few minor adjustments, mostly foot positioning (front straps no back strap) I was up and flying on my good side for long flights. At the end of the first lesson I was able to sail of foil both ways for long periods of time and some pretty spectacular crashes specially on my weak side!

I had a second class two days later and by the end I was very confidently riding both ways without crashing much and now it was just a matter to get used to flying the kite and started to work in going downwind more which I was able to do.

Third time out it was all me (with my girl following in my boat) but I managed to have a pretty awesome session without turning yet - so basically going one way get in the water, switch the board and go the other way. I was able to keep the direction on the board that I wanted (not going excessively upwind)

Yesterday I had my first solo un-assisted session and it was epic! Still can't turn, and to be honest, haven't tried yet as mostly I'm concentrating in getting very comfortable with the foil and kite.

So there you have it.... I can know ride in 10knots wind with a 12 meter kite! I never though that would be possible for a 230lb guy ;-) Lots to learn but slowly getting there. I'm really enjoying the process.

My take away:

- large board and large low aspect wing gave me a lot of stability and I was able to fly at very low speed (so slow that I didn't think it was possible)
- very loose front foot straps and no foot straps at the back gave me the freedom to move my feet and bail easier.
- getting your back foot a lot closer to the front foot when water starting did wonders for me
- the right light kite (I got Airush ultras) made the kite flying very easy - they drift amazing and their stay in the air even when you try to crash them! LOL
- learning behind the boat did it for me - I can not picture how much longer would have taken figuring all these out with the kite and foil board the first time out
- getting at least those two classes made a massive difference in technique to start and fly
- my helmet and heavy neoprene saved me a few times!
- I know a lot of people recommends short mast to start, the big mast was not a problem for me, as a matter of fact it was an advantage! I soon realize what happens is you breach the front wing LOL with a longer mast I had a lot of room to move up and down - maybe is me, but I really enjoyed learning with this mast and I know enjoy the extra room it provides in choppy waters (most times in my local spot)
- get spare hardware for connecting your stuff... as a beginner I had a few close calls - specially in the boat trying to setup the foil! not a good idea LOL

Cheers all
G.
These users thanked the author glfmkg for the post (total 2):
lifeinthehood (Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:35 am) • Sceotend (Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:29 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:00 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:16 pm
glfmkg wrote:
Hello All,

I have been kiting for a while and I'm very confident rider including loops, jumps, etc on a twin tip. I decided to learn to foil this year. I got a good quiver of kites for foiling/surfing (3 Airrush Ultra kites 9-12-14) but wanted to ask you about a wing/mast/board that you can recommend to make the process of learning as easier as possible.

I'm planning on learning behind my boat first and once I feel confident flying the foil, going to take a few classes to get started with the kite.

I'm 100kg/220lb, 6"4 and normally kite in flat water during the summer and very consistent winds or choppy water in the winter in gusty winds. I also kite in cold water, so we wear a lot of gear! so maybe add a few kilos/pounds to my weight dressed. I live in the west coast of Canada, so some European brands may not be easily available here in Vancouver. The idea is to foil during sub 20knots winds for now - For reference I can easily get moving on a 14m kite with around 14knots of wind using my 165 Mako and using my 17m kite I can get moving in about 12knots using the same board.

Questions:

- Which wing/mast do you recommend? - remember the goal is to make the process the easiest - I will sell the gear once I'm a confident rider so I don't want to buy something that will make the process longer but it will be good for when I'm better.
- Which board do you recommend - Ideally a board that I can use strapless in the surf (yes I surf) so I don' have to take too many boards to the beach.

Thank you in advance,
G.
At 100kg plus gear...

Axis 19mm mast; tough, stiff, you won't break it. You'll have to stay in the Axis universe though.
A board about 120cm long, I'd go for a Slingshot Dwarfcraft. I like the shape :lol:
Wing... maybe the Axis 810 BSC. https://axisfoils.com/products/bsc-810- ... ofoil-wing
Rear wing, 440 or 400 if you're bold.

You can of course upgrade all the Axis stuff, or go for a different style of wing once you've decided what your style is. I've still got my first favorite wing in case I ding something and need a backup. No problem selling Axis gear, it's popular. For more on Axis get on the Facebook group.

I know that sounds like an ad, but I've used and seen a bunch of different brands and it's simply the toughest gear for big boys IMO.
Second for Axis gear as there is a very strong 2nd hand ecosystem. And really a lot of different ones that would be fine for a first foil. so if you find a cheap 2nd hand rig just check it with someone who knows.

Also the key is to buy the 45cm mast to begin with. It means when you stack it you don't get hurt. Then you can buy the 600 for progression, or jump straight to longer if feeling confident. Axis ally masts are super cheap, specially 2nd hand. Slingshot also offers these sizes. I found the older Slingy gear too heavy personally.

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:42 am

glfmkg wrote:
- Ideally a board that I can use strapless in the surf (yes I surf)
Do you mean prone foil surfing?

I've been learning that in tandem with kite foiling but the gear is pretty different. Foils that people pump out and connect waves on have a lot more lift than kite foils.

I've been using a Cloud IX P27/S24 with a 32L NSP board. It's ok for surfing but I feel real overpowered on the kite.

Moses212
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Naish Pivot 11
Twin Tip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Moses212 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:48 pm

Hi All, I realize this is a really old thread, but I'm looking at the Cabrinha X Breed and if anyone has any feedback, that'd be awesome!
Similar to one of the comments, I kite and use a twin tip. I'm thinking the Cabrinha X Breed or even the Cabrinha Cutlass could be a good fit to learn to foil and also this way practice on a directional board.
Also, I want to practice behind a jet ski.
That or if I should be getting something bigger and with a wider tail to learn on.
Thanks!!

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:07 am

I'm would advise on never trying to combo a surfboard and a foilboard as a single board. It'll be bad at both.

Practice behind a boat / jetski is more dangerous because when you fall you fall on the foil. When you learn with a kite it pulls you away from the pointy foil when you crash.

Are you asking what kind of surfboard to get to learn directional before kitefoil? If that's what you are asking then the answer is a WIDE one if you want to make things easier.

I would have just made a new thread rather than necro this one.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:26 am

glfmkg wrote:

If you want to stay in the Airush realm, I have suggestions:
Slayer convertible board to kill 2 birds with 1 stone:
https://airush.com/kiteboards/convertib ... iteboards/

If you've been kiting a long time, I don't see the point starting with a monster wing, it's no easier, just get a proper stable med sized wing.
I recommend going with the Tracer 1000. Easy wing for all levels and for most people it's also the last wing most will ever need.
https://www.akdurablesupplyco.com/hydro ... il-series/

If you want to make your life as easy as possible, you could go trek 1000 or 1300, but, IMO, if you're already a good kiter, just go straight for a more capable wing.

Moses212
Rare Poster
Twin Tip

Postby Moses212 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:12 am

Thanks Guys, yeah, I jumped on the old thread because someone brought up the Cabrinha X Breed :

https://www.cabrinha.com/products/00-x-breed-foil

Some fantastic prices on this right now. Seems to have a similar shape/size to the Airush Slayer

Primarily I'm planning on learning to kite foil (not to wing foil), but because I only ride a twin tip, I figured that combo board may be cool to be able to practice riding strapless..

Plus, I tried foiling on a large board behind a boat and figured that's good practice.

There's also the newer Cabrinha Autopilot which is wider and maybe quick to learn on:

https://adventuresportsusa.com/collecti ... 0910831751

Thanks again!

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:24 am

glfmkg wrote:
I got a good quiver of kites for foiling/surfing (3 Airrush Ultra kites 9-12-14) but wanted to ask you about a wing/mast/board that you can recommend to make the process of learning as easier as possible.
When you learn the quiver will be fine. I suspect that, despite your 100kg, you will eventually have more fun with 7 + 9m kites and the big ones won't get much use. I get the sense (at a bit over 90kg) that you are not as punished for extra weight on a hydrofoil compared to a twintip, so lighter riders use similar sizes for foiling. You might need a slightly bigger wing than them though.

For HF gear, I seem to recall that there is some obscure but decent looking russian brand that is popular in Vancouver? Might be possible to pick up some second hand gear...

Moses212
Rare Poster
Twin Tip

Postby Moses212 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:23 pm

Thanks for the info - I'm 75kg and use a twin tip with a 8 & 11m kites.

I added to the old thread as my question was similar in referencing how/what I'm going to learn.

@slappysan, yeah, guess I should have started a new thread..

Return to “Hydrofoil”