Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot UFO V2 when released?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Slingshot UFO V2 when released?

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:55 am

rnelias wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:15 am
Is just me that find these structuless kites too expensive for what they are or my price point is a little bit off?

According to Slingshot's website:

UFO v1.1. 3m $1027 USD (0-struct)
Ghost v1 4m $1099 USD (1-struct)
SST v6 4m $1333 USD (3-struct)
Machine v1 5m $1401 USD (5-struct)

Maybe it's too naive compare kite's prices solely based on the number of structs but a Machine 5m is 2/3 bigger (more ripstop), has 5x more structs (including valves and bladders) and it's just 36% more expensive. Moreover, if we consider that these 0-struct kites have narrower wind range, people interested in a quiver of UFO's would need at least 1 or 2 kites more to cover the same wind range that 2 wave kites would cover.

Sorry if it's off-topic but never got interested in this kind of kite because of its price. I'd rather get a 2-skin foil kite or a couple of wave kites instead.

Forgive my rant and back to the topic...
As a dealer who sells a LOT of SS kites, foils and gear, it's easy to figure out why the UFO is not a lot less expensive compared to the Ghost, SST and others.
Basic supply and demand.
My first batch of UFO V2's were half pre-sold and I need more.
It's the ONLY kite I've ever sold with such high demand and just a fantastic kite for foiling.

I don't blame SS for maximizing the profit which is cutting into SST and Ghost sales. I used to sell a lot of SST's, but not nearly as much anymore.
Cant' wait though to put the Ghost V2 through the paces soon.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
These users thanked the author toyletbowl for the post:
Nak (Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:10 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Re: Slingshot UFO V2 when released?

Postby Nak » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:18 am

toyletbowl wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:55 am
rnelias wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:15 am
Is just me that find these structuless kites too expensive for what they are or my price point is a little bit off?

According to Slingshot's website:

UFO v1.1. 3m $1027 USD (0-struct)
Ghost v1 4m $1099 USD (1-struct)
SST v6 4m $1333 USD (3-struct)
Machine v1 5m $1401 USD (5-struct)

Maybe it's too naive compare kite's prices solely based on the number of structs but a Machine 5m is 2/3 bigger (more ripstop), has 5x more structs (including valves and bladders) and it's just 36% more expensive. Moreover, if we consider that these 0-struct kites have narrower wind range, people interested in a quiver of UFO's would need at least 1 or 2 kites more to cover the same wind range that 2 wave kites would cover.

Sorry if it's off-topic but never got interested in this kind of kite because of its price. I'd rather get a 2-skin foil kite or a couple of wave kites instead.

Forgive my rant and back to the topic...
As a dealer who sells a LOT of SS kites, foils and gear, it's easy to figure out why the UFO is not a lot less expensive compared to the Ghost, SST and others.
Basic supply and demand.
My first batch of UFO V2's were half pre-sold and I need more.
It's the ONLY kite I've ever sold with such high demand and just a fantastic kite for foiling.

I don't blame SS for maximizing the profit which is cutting into SST and Ghost sales. I used to sell a lot of SST's, but not nearly as much anymore.
Cant' wait though to put the Ghost V2 through the paces soon.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com
Yep, supply and demand. Think up a better mouse trap and the world will beat a path to your door. Pretty much what is happening with the UFO. You can't sell anything for more than it's worth, and if you design something worth more than the sum of it's parts, there is nothing wrong with selling it for what it's worth. What it's worth, is what people will pay for it. I don't see too many people willing to take pay cuts because they don't think they should get paid for their own skills.

Return to “Hydrofoil”