Gear: Duotone Neo and Mono
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Single strut Cabrinha and Mono advertised wind range

Postby daffes » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:22 pm

https://www.cabrinha.com/products/contra-1-strut

vs

https://www.duotonesports.com/kiteboarding/kites/mono/

On the 11m size, Cabrinha advertises as low as 5kn of winds which seems a bit optimistic, while duotone advertises 10kn, which seems too high as well...

I don't think the Cabrinha kite would have such a better technology into it.... What would be your take for the comfortable wind range of a 75kg foil rider just past beginner stage (e.g. can jibe)... Any reason to go bigger than 11m on the mono?

Best,

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Single strut Cabrinha and Mono advertised wind range

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:19 pm

Your right. 5 knots is exaggerated and 10 is when almost anything can work.

Thing is, takes skill to reliably do anything impressive in under 10 knots. As an advanced foiler I don’t even bother below 10 knots unless I haven’t been out in weeks.

Published wind ranges mean almost nothing. Get either one and be stoked with em.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
daffes (Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:21 pm

daffes wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:22 pm
Any reason to go bigger than 11m
At 75 kg there is no reason to go past 11m for foiling.
As long as you reactively downloop you should be okay in 8 knots an up but if you mess up you'll likely swim.

I foil exclusively with Peaks and can ride both my 5m and 6m in 7-8 knots but the 6m is less work and more fun at those low winds. The nice thing about the Peaks is you can mess up and the kite is never going to fall out of the sky, it's up to you to steer it in to the water. I feel much safer flying Peaks when LW foiling than I have with any of my 1 or 0 strut LEIs.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:21 am

daffes wrote:

vs

On the 11m size, Cabrinha advertises as low as 5kn of winds which seems a bit optimistic, while duotone advertises 10kn, which seems too high as well...

I don't think the Cabrinha kite would have such a better technology into it.... What would be your take for the comfortable wind range of a 75kg foil rider just past beginner stage (e.g. can jibe)... Any reason to go bigger than 11m on the mono?

Best,

A classic example of "confusion" because of windranges given by manufacturers :o

In short, even the very same kite could be labelled both as 5 knots and 10 knots as minimum wind - and it would not be wrong just misleading.
A light kite today can hang in 5 knots, and if really light and once up and going, possible to keep foiling.
On the other hand, average weights and a bit more, not skilled riders, will need 10 knots to ride comfortably :rollgrin:

No you should never go bigger than 11 m2 on a LEI.

You will be able to foil in 8/9-12 knots quite comfortably with the 11 m2 @75 kg.

With more skill, you can ride in 7 knots also (using longer lines).

If you want to go lower than 7-8 knots, you need a foil kite.

The range 7-10 knots is IMO the most addictive hydrofoil windrange, and the sweetspot for many riders as it can be obtained with light LEI's or medium/small foil kites easily, and no other kiteboards on the water, but kitefoils.

When more wind, "everything goes", TT - Surfboards - Wingfoils - Small wavekitefoils and so on :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
daffes (Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:47 pm)

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:37 pm

daffes wrote:

vs

Best,
I have no personal experience on either one of these kites. I recall that, at least for older versions of the Mono, other posters said it was a bit heavy in comparison to other single strut kites, which would only matter (if at all) on the lightest wind days. You should gather more information before making a decision on that basis though.

Like others (and you) have said, 5kn is too low and 10kn is not low enough for the low end of any single strut 11m kite. My 10m Boxer will take me down to 9kn pretty comfortably (8kn if flat water and current is working against wind). I have a 12m Boxer, but I rarely use it. It takes me down to 8/7kn which is probably about the same you’d get with an 11m. I don’t really have much fun in that light wind and will only do it if I need a fix or have nothing better to do.

If I were able to do it all over again, I would probably go with 11m/8m (or 11m/9m) instead of 12m/10m. If the 11m doesn’t take you low enough for your taste, get some 3m or 6m line extensions or a foil kite.

I’m 195lbs and ride a Lift 150. YMMV.

Qiter
Medium Poster
Gear: Mostly foil

Postby Qiter » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:54 pm

I have ridden the new Mono each year since 2018, since then, big improvements in the kite!

I was also able to compare it to a number of other single struts over the years (my buddies have different ones), Airush Ultra, Ozone Alpha, Core Xlite and the Slingshot UFO no strutter etc.

The 2021 Mono was so far the best one strut I have ridden, much faster than the 2019 model which I owned previously and the other one strutters that I tried, super easy relaunch over the tips even in light wind.

The main difference for me in the light wind is the kite turning speed of the 2021 model, which makes it much easier to get going in borderline conditions, as the "2nd pull" that comes in the upstroke after diving the kite is there faster and gets you going easier.

I weigh 90kg, am an advanced kite foiler with plenty of light wind experience and agree with others in this thread that while about 7kn are "formally" the lower limit, the real lower limit are your lightwind skills.
No need for anything bigger than 11m, what you gain with surface you will lose with kitespeed (apparent wind).

I look forward testing the 2022 model (which looks very similar to 2021..)
These users thanked the author Qiter for the post:
daffes (Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:38 pm)

daffes
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 160
Local Beach: Brasilia
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Freeride twintip and hydrofoil
Gear: Duotone Neo and Mono
Been thanked: 0

Postby daffes » Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:45 pm

Thanks everyone for sharing their detailed experience and insights in similar kites and wind speeds, specially Qiter with hands on experience on the mono 2021.

Glad that my original reading wasn't too off, feeling more confident about the choice of the mono 11 2021 for the lightest wind days over here.

Return to “Hydrofoil”