Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Floating vs sinking hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Floating vs sinking hydrofoil

Postby abel » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:54 am

I prefer a sinking hydrofoil because if the foil doesn't sink, given the direction , it sometimes runs away instead of coming back to you.
For waterstarts, there is no problem tilting the board on the side.

What do you prefer, sink or float ? (pls. elaborate)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Floating vs sinking hydrofoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:31 am

I prefer a floating foil if it means it is much lighter.

But of course a sinking foil is faster to retrieve when shot upwind.

In real life this means a foil that sinks in super light wind, but floats on its side in more wind.
Close to ideal as easy to retrieve when wind, difficult when really light but here it sinks :thumb:

Best combination and i think many carbon freeride foils are like that, sinking slowly unless wind.

Good thing about a semi floating is you can start so much faster if it isn't upwind, as it just waits for you on the side so you can put your feet up and go, no hands needed :)

8) Peter

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:31 am

A floating foil is way easier to body drag out away from shallow shelving shore lines especially if the waves are big and winds are light in biggish close set waves, side floaters save time and can help prevent the front wing grounding out as you fall between the wave peaks, helps me gain good speed and higher angles body dragging out through often aggressive conditions to the flatter water 50 to 100 yards out,
also on the way back in i find it is just so much kinder to my floating kit if it side floats in to shore as a wave often grabs hold of my kit as i come back to shore and have to often just jump off and try to grab my board before the much faster shore break waves grabs my foil and pushes it quickly to shore, mostly doing so in a straight line so it lands softly on the sand,
pain in the ass though in light winds if you get seperated from the board with your kite down, that's when sailing buddies are needed to get to your board and tip the board over so it can drift back to you,
never ignore a side floating board if the owner is struggling to get back to it, go over and turn it wing down and point it towards the owner and push the board gently towards him/her, they will owe you the same favour one day,
one of the most scary moments is seeing your board out of reach on its side and not enough wind to body drag over to it, or just never seeming to get closer to the board, people can and do loose their kit due to side float problems,
at my local spot there are a few occasions over the years where side floating kit has nearly been lost forever, one of our locals who thought his was lost forever went back to the beach at low tide and walked along the shore lines and small rocky outcrops and in the bright sunset he spotted a glinting reflection on the rocks and this guided him to find his full near undamaged board and foil, just a few scratches, lucky or what!
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
airsail (Wed Jun 14, 2023 6:29 am)
Rating: 3.03%

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:59 am

I have a post on this forum about the 683s to ascertain if it is a floater or sinker for the above reasons

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:24 am

a board & foil combination what side floats for a couple of seconds and then foil submerges. It makes starts easier (hands free) and the board still goes downwind fast because it will flip after a while.
That means a low volume board and high volume wing

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:44 pm

mar menor wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:59 am
I have a post on this forum about the 683s to ascertain if it is a floater or sinker for the above reasons
683s and 679 sink
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
mar menor (Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:22 pm)

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:26 pm

Complete floater is a disaster in lightwind. Aluminum-grade sinker is a horror to carry and boardstart.

I like carbon sinkers
These users thanked the author grigorib for the post:
airsail (Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:29 pm)

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:43 pm

Light wind with a floating foil - would this be a scenario where a leash (eg Oceanus reel) might be appropriate to use? I know there’s a reflexive revulsion to leashes, but it seems to me that this situation would present very low risk for being yarded beyond the leash limits. Given the high risk of losing a board and foil, maybe a leash is actually a good idea here?

Will be starting to foil this spring (with a floating SABFoil 633) so I’m trying to learn about all the difficult situations I might encounter and figure possible solutions.
Foil wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:31 am
A floating foil is way easier to body drag out away from shallow shelving shore lines especially if the waves are big and winds are light in biggish close set waves, side floaters save time and can help prevent the front wing grounding out as you fall between the wave peaks, helps me gain good speed and higher angles body dragging out through often aggressive conditions to the flatter water 50 to 100 yards out,
also on the way back in i find it is just so much kinder to my floating kit if it side floats in to shore as a wave often grabs hold of my kit as i come back to shore and have to often just jump off and try to grab my board before the much faster shore break waves grabs my foil and pushes it quickly to shore, mostly doing so in a straight line so it lands softly on the sand,
pain in the ass though in light winds if you get seperated from the board with your kite down, that's when sailing buddies are needed to get to your board and tip the board over so it can drift back to you,
never ignore a side floating board if the owner is struggling to get back to it, go over and turn it wing down and point it towards the owner and push the board gently towards him/her, they will owe you the same favour one day,
one of the most scary moments is seeing your board out of reach on its side and not enough wind to body drag over to it, or just never seeming to get closer to the board, people can and do loose their kit due to side float problems,
at my local spot there are a few occasions over the years where side floating kit has nearly been lost forever, one of our locals who thought his was lost forever went back to the beach at low tide and walked along the shore lines and small rocky outcrops and in the bright sunset he spotted a glinting reflection on the rocks and this guided him to find his full near undamaged board and foil, just a few scratches, lucky or what!

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:53 am

Are there foil-board combos that sink to bottom, how would you not lose those?

If you mean with sinking that the mast goes vertical with the board floating on the surface? Then yes, I prefer those. Always easier to go searching for your foil Downwind, although it can be annoying when it is cruising into your kite and lines when relaunching or heading into a rocky patch of the coast.

But rather have those issues than a foil on its side that can sail Upwind faster than you can bodydrag. Already have had to return some sideways foils Downwind because their owners couldn't get to it anymore.

Kiterpep
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Scheveningen, Rockanje
Style: Wave
Gear: Naish, F-One, Flysurfer, Crazyfly

Postby Kiterpep » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:48 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 7:31 am
So any fix to a side-floating foil that is quite eager to see the world 😅? I was riding a larger wing that did exactly this, and with the small kite I had rigged I could not for the life of me catch it when it went off to explore the seven seas. Luckily another kiter brought my board back to shore.

🤔 Attach a weight to the setup? Stay with a smaller, semi-sinking foil or flattish water spots until I get better? Only ride with foiling buddies?

Return to “Hydrofoil”