Brand Affiliation: None

ripping tiny waves - Efoil edition

Postby Knowone » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:47 pm

Ripping...
Edge to edge...
Pulling G's...
Dancing on the water....
...Bliss...

Those are the words that describe how I feel on my Efoil...

Enjoy!!!

markchatwin
Very Frequent Poster

Re: ripping tiny waves - Efoil edition

Postby markchatwin » Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:18 pm

What size front and tail are you using? Great session!

Knowone
Rare Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Postby Knowone » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:32 pm

I'm using the Lift 150 v2 surf, with the 32 glide tail....Long mast... and I removed the prop guard (removing the guard results in significant handling improvement and slightly longer run time).
It's the same wing combo that I was kite foiling with...but, I haven't pumped up a kite in the last 3 months, just been riding E...no wind, 25 knots...doesn't matter...It's (for me) one tool to 'rule them all' (conditions)!

No wondering what kite to rig...(is the wind building, dropping?)...
No worrying if I 'missed it'...(should have been here an hour ago!)
Often, my best sessions are as the wind backs off. kiters and wingers are heading to the beach...but the swell is still running...

Next month I'm heading to a true wave spot, I'm excited to see what lines I can ride when wind direction is irrelevant...

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Knowone wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:32 pm
I'm using the Lift 150 v2 surf, with the 32 glide tail....Long mast... and I removed the prop guard (removing the guard results in significant handling improvement and slightly longer run time).
It's the same wing combo that I was kite foiling with...but, I haven't pumped up a kite in the last 3 months, just been riding E...no wind, 25 knots...doesn't matter...It's (for me) one tool to 'rule them all' (conditions)!

No wondering what kite to rig...(is the wind building, dropping?)...
No worrying if I 'missed it'...(should have been here an hour ago!)
Often, my best sessions are as the wind backs off. kiters and wingers are heading to the beach...but the swell is still running...

Next month I'm heading to a true wave spot, I'm excited to see what lines I can ride when wind direction is irrelevant...
What's the run time? Costs? I mean it's great and having this would sure beat doing nothing on non windy days...

Knowone
Rare Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Postby Knowone » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:08 am

Run time with my wing set-up (150 surf) is 95 minutes. When I change to the 200ha I get 120 minutes. The 200 ha (high aspect) is more efficient, and glides better, but at does not turn as sharply...

MY run time is about 60 minutes when I am in 'ripping turns' mode...knees bent, ankles flexed..after an hour my fine muscle control gets sloppy and I usually head to shore, stoked!!

If I am in cruze mode..more upright, not linking turns and pulling G's, I will run the battery down to 5%, the full 2 hours on the 200ha...

The cost...ouch...$12,000 US...MOST EXPENSIVE toy I have ever bought....but SO worth it..

I stared kiting so I wouldn't sit on the beach when there wasn't enough wind to windsurf...
Kite was a better tool, sold all my windsurf gear..
Stared kite foiling so I wouldn't sit on the beach when there wasn't enough wind to kite board...
Foil was a better tool, sold my TT's.. ( Surf board and kite are the BEST tool for vertical breaking waves in side off conditions..still have that kit.)
Started EFoiling so I wouldn't sit on the beach when there wasn't enough wind to kitefoil...

Efoil is a GREAT water tool..I never have to sit on the beach

I haven't sold my Cloud kites and foil...YET!

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:26 am

12k!!! Damn. I mean looks like good session time to have fun so I guess it's worth it. Maybe one day it will become like a much normalised thing with good pricing. Enjoy!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:46 am

It IS fun indeed, tried one, but doesnt come close to kitehydrofoil IMO.

And the idea, having a "motor" seems so off to me, no sport left, when you have wind - but I know it is just me as we are a sailing nation where everything not wind or wave driven, is "wrong".

On your video it looks like, at least a bit out, really good wind where a Cloud, or even better a 4-5-6 m2 Peak kite could excel?

If most days are totally without wind, and with good waves, or a risky area with a kite - it makes a lot of sense though :D

8) Peter

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:56 am

Did you ever try an electric skateboard like a onewheel?

When I look at eFoils they remind me of those skateboards a bit. The outlay is less if you have somewhere fun to ride them. Might be an cheaper no wind activity and its small enough to leave in the car in case the wind drops off mid session.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:10 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:56 am
Did you ever try an electric skateboard like a onewheel?

When I look at eFoils they remind me of those skateboards a bit. The outlay is less if you have somewhere fun to ride them. Might be an cheaper no wind activity and its small enough to leave in the car in case the wind drops off mid session.

I dont know who you ask?

I have ridden the Onewheel yes, awesome fun, but dont use these now - mostly because only 6 knots is needed for kitefoiling, and 9 knots only for wavekitefoiling, so almost always possible to ride, and if not, drive a bit and we can.
If you are close to the beach, you could use it for transportation to the water yes - but I still either walk, or take my bike with kites on back and board under the arm.

One could also go SUP when no wind, but that is too boring for me - eventhough great for the whole family to be out together yes :thumb:
Another cause is actually, I dont need no wind toys - I enjoy the few days when finally no wind so you can do other things you SHOULD HAVE BEEN doing :rollgrin:

Yes, we are spoiled here, I know :wink:

Fully get the appeal of Onewheel and Efoils though, if you have lots of windless days :naughty:

8) Peter

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:03 pm

It was a question to someone who had ridden both an eFoil and a onewheel.

The real factor being if you aren't close to the beach (and I would say anything more than 10 minutes of journey time is far from the beach) then it might be a better use of time if you have somewhere good to ride a one wheel (local parks often have gently sloped 2ft earth banks around the outside to deter people from parking on them which you can ride up and down a little like a wave)

Its not the windless days that are the problem. Its getting the windy days to line up with time you can get to the beach. :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”