Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5
Brand Affiliation: None

679/310/stringy fuse

Postby MaximumAC » Sun Apr 24, 2022 2:26 am

Hey all,
I ride a few different foils: 633, W800, and Mike's Lab B5. I just replaced my 633 with a 679 with the goal of increasing speed, maneuverability and providing a slightly slower and more stable platform to practice race gybes.

I have a stringy fuse that I used to decrease front foot pressure on the 633/483. Today I switched out to 679/RDB 310 and was very pleased with the speed and glide. Upwind and tacking was super smooth, but hard downwind was tough due to wake/waves. The foil often felt like it wanted to suck downwards, I presume while coming down the "face" of small wake.

I'm thinking I need to start by reversing the stringy mast insert so the front wing sits more forward as Moses originally intended. The stab can also be moved closer or further from the mast/wing. Any general thoughts on how to smooth our this ride? Thanks,

- Alex

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Re: 679/310/stringy fuse

Postby lifeinthehood » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:29 pm

I'm about to start my foiling journey as soon as the water and air temps around here warm up a bit more. I got the 633/483/710 a couple months ago and have just ordered a fuse from Jim Stringfellow that will adjust for front foot pressure. So I'm interested to know about this as well in case I decide to get a different wing in the future.

That said, couldn't you just move the mast forward in the board track? Listening to the Progression podcast, it sounds like many foilers prefer it further forward in the track anyhow because pivoting is easier if the mast is closer to the center of your stance.

MaximumAC
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay, Assateague MD
Style: Foil; Freestyle
Gear: Flysurfer Soul and Sonics; SAB 679/800 and Mikes Lab Bullet 5

Re: 679/310/stringy fuse

Postby MaximumAC » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:08 am

Yes, certainly that's a viable option. Was just curious if anyone had any specific pearls about fine tuning the 679. I flipped the stringy mast position today to more closely mimic the original 710 fuse and it was much more comfortable today. My mast is already very far forward from switching out to the W800 as well.

RE: the 633/483, I ran that combo on the stringy fuse on a 110cm Naish Hover, and had my mast almost all the way forward in the tracks, maybe 2-4 cm back. Personal preference though I'm sure. Not ideal that I flip back and forth between 633 and 800.

- Alex

lifeinthehood wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:29 pm
I'm about to start my foiling journey as soon as the water and air temps around here warm up a bit more. I got the 633/483/710 a couple months ago and have just ordered a fuse from Jim Stringfellow that will adjust for front foot pressure. So I'm interested to know about this as well in case I decide to get a different wing in the future.

That said, couldn't you just move the mast forward in the board track? Listening to the Progression podcast, it sounds like many foilers prefer it further forward in the track anyhow because pivoting is easier if the mast is closer to the center of your stance.
These users thanked the author MaximumAC for the post:
lifeinthehood (Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”