Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The SAB kraken has landed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The SAB kraken has landed

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Don't forget, wingfoil is much bigger than kitefoil now.

Makes sense to aim gear for both sports, with wingfoil as primary target.

8) Peter

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:26 pm

lifeinthehood wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 pm
What I’m interested in from SAB Foil’s new system is their foil wings, specifically the 699. It’s been announced and yet, I can barely find a whisper about it, to say nothing about a release date. All the other wings in this series have been out for quite awhile. What’s the hold up on the 699?
Agree with this too. I'm also interested to hear more about the 699.

Can anyone report about the 799. Is it as good for freeride kitefoiling as the 633? How does 799 top speed and low-end compare with 633?

duckypoos
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby duckypoos » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:03 pm

Even though wing foil may be “the emperor’s new clothes “ at present and hydrofoil disciplines are starting to splinter , maybe one day we will be more like the ski industry where hardware is made so we can pick a ski to suit the conditions/ discipline….this / and we all have a long way to go yet , but loving the journey so far .. Dave799 I’m loving the 799 for kiteFoil , definitely an upgrade from 633 , you won’t be disappointed!!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:12 pm

wow, what a lot of shouting.
I have used the kraken mast 93k and 103k, yesterday and 3 hours on the 103k today,
I used all the moses mast ranges over the last 4 years, and most of the kitefoil wing range, I only kite foil, and love speed, waves and boosting all the time, I am not light so put a lot of stress on my kit, some(many) dodgy hard landings make me wince and wonder when my wimpy small mast to fuse connection will give way, turbulent water can be felt even when using the stiffer 101 and the nervous feeling of my less than solid mast holds me back at times, the 91 mast just felt like a noodle when pushed hard, and turbulent water had me believing I had a faulty mast, but discovered many heavier riders had these instability issues if conditions were not ideal, after buying x4 91cm masts over the years hoping they would get better I gave up on the 91 and stuck to the 101, which has been the best mast for me, but with the kraken mast have they finally cracked it for guys like me?

O my god! its a yes from me!
I will be adding my findings tomorrow, but the weight issue which I thought would be a real issue turned out to be no issue at all, and if that's the price to pay for the experience I had today then well done SAB, you have done a great job for me, trying one, flying one, pushing for speed and not hitting any drag issues holding me back like the dam awful 2 series masts certainly do, jumping with the kraken is to experience landings that feel much more secure, carving hard deep lines at top speed with no slip or spin out like the 2 series masts.
still tingling from today!
more detail to follow

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm

duckypoos wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:03 pm
Dave799 I’m loving the 799 for kiteFoil , definitely an upgrade from 633 , you won’t be disappointed!!
That's good to hear. Can you be specific about how the W799 is better than the W633? Is is faster? More manoeuvrble? etc? Also, how does it compare pare with the W800?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sun May 01, 2022 3:13 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm
8) Peter
I remember in the early days of kite foiling some brands offered boards with capability to have fins for surfboard use and also to have hydrofoil capability. Those boards were definitely a poor compromise for each sport.
I am happy with my Sabfoil wing equipment and I am happy with my Sabfoil kite hydrofoil equipment ..which are different. Those of us who want performance in each sport may not choose a system like Kraken that tries to accommodate both. We shall see..

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun May 01, 2022 5:15 am

Agree with that Chris, compromises are usually a bad thing.

But I understand the choice from the manufacturer.

8) Peter

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Sun May 01, 2022 7:16 am

dave1986 wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:13 pm
duckypoos wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:03 pm
Dave799 I’m loving the 799 for kiteFoil , definitely an upgrade from 633 , you won’t be disappointed!!
That's good to hear. Can you be specific about how the W799 is better than the W633? Is is faster? More manoeuvrble? etc? Also, how does it compare pare with the W800?
For me, a lover of the 633 set up the 799 did not compare that great, I did want it to work, I thought it would be faster, at least as fast I thought,but after paying out for the 799 and a few rear wings to try and improve the feel i decided that for me it did not deliver a better experience, even body dragging out the experience was a struggle trying to stop the wing tips hitting the bottom, speed was the big let down for me, it felt slower, every thing for me felt less fun, tried it in all conditions but sold it on as it was spoiling my fun, and bought another 633 setup as the old one is being discontinued, but I will be trying the 699 in the next week when it arrives, so who knows it could suit me.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
dave1986 (Sun May 01, 2022 7:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sun May 01, 2022 7:36 am

Foil wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 7:16 am
[but I will be trying the 699 in the next week when it arrives, so who knows it could suit me.
I'll be eagerly awaiting feedback on the 699 vs 633!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Sun May 01, 2022 7:37 am

cglazier wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 3:13 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:47 pm
8) Peter
I remember in the early days of kite foiling some brands offered boards with capability to have fins for surfboard use and also to have hydrofoil capability. Those boards were definitely a poor compromise for each sport.
I am happy with my Sabfoil wing equipment and I am happy with my Sabfoil kite hydrofoil equipment ..which are different. Those of us who want performance in each sport may not choose a system like Kraken that tries to accommodate both. We shall see..

:wink: CG
totally agree,
the kraken kit is not needed for everyone, owners of the earlier series can still have a great experience on their kit, but if your heavy 90kg or over who loves to boost big, or anyone diving into the wing foil department, or trying the windsurf foil experience then kraken makes a lot of sense, the worry of maybe a slower inefficient mast like the 2 series masts are a worry no more, the kraken masts are stiffer, faster, cheaper when buying a few lengths after the initial base plate and quick release pin purchase, the niggly little issues like the loose front screw and the ever present fuse
corrosion that gets quite annoying as it devours the fuse over time should now have been eliminated with the added zinc anode-https://www.google.com/search?q=zinc+ca ... nt=gws-wiz

the weight issiue is a price to pay that will be the reason many will shy away, It made me think in a negative way as well, but as its turned out its no issue at all, yes of course you can feel it as you pick up your full board with one hand to balance the whole rig on your shoulder for the walk to the water, but its a small price to pay for the positives,

Return to “Hydrofoil”