Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The SAB kraken has landed

Postby Matty V » Thu May 26, 2022 2:57 pm

Foil wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 am
well its now confirmed, anyone who has not yet got the kraken mast is going slower, a lot slower!!!
been out often now on the 93k and 103k, and one of my sailing buddies has the 73k mast for his wing and kite foil kit has recorded the speeds on his gps watch, all top speeds and average speeds are way faster,
importantly they feel very much faster, and yesterday I was stopped by one of our regular kite foilers to ask what the hell wing was I using? as my speeds were silly fast, much faster than she had ever seen me ever go, others have made comment to me as well and they know nothing about the SAB Kraken, they just think I have a new technique and or new wing,
no its not, its the mast!! its incredible

edit,
the new long awaited 699 wing with me on tuesday, wow! this will be interesting, direct comparison to the 633 is the 1st test,
then against the 799.
getting over excited
What kind of speeds are you getting now vs before?

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu May 26, 2022 3:56 pm

Matty V wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 2:57 pm
Foil wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 7:43 am
well its now confirmed, anyone who has not yet got the kraken mast is going slower, a lot slower!!!
been out often now on the 93k and 103k, and one of my sailing buddies has the 73k mast for his wing and kite foil kit has recorded the speeds on his gps watch, all top speeds and average speeds are way faster,
importantly they feel very much faster, and yesterday I was stopped by one of our regular kite foilers to ask what the hell wing was I using? as my speeds were silly fast, much faster than she had ever seen me ever go, others have made comment to me as well and they know nothing about the SAB Kraken, they just think I have a new technique and or new wing,
no its not, its the mast!! its incredible
edit,
the new long awaited 699 wing with me on tuesday, wow! this will be interesting, direct comparison to the 633 is the 1st test,
then against the 799.
getting over excited
What kind of speeds are you getting now vs before?
This >>well its now confirmed, anyone who has not yet got the kraken mast is going slower, a lot slower<< sounds as clear promo, maybe got Kraken half price for promo aims.
We must wait news from others with GPS and videos on 1:1 the same wing comparission. Only than we can make some decisions regarding "lot slower".
Plus Kraken setup has near 1 kg more weight, in such case hydrodynamic must be so perfect briliant to reach even equal speeds of old light setup.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu May 26, 2022 11:22 pm

Here are some measurements taken by myself and a friend comparing the three types of SABfoil mast

71cm mast
- Thickness 12.5mm at fuselage end
- Thickness 14mm at centre
- Chord at centre=110mm
- Weight=1270g

72cm C40 mast
- Thickness 15.2mm at fuselage end
- Thickness 18.1mm at centre
- Chord at centre=120mm
- Weight=1694g

73cm Kraken mast
- Thickness=14.5mm at fuselage end.
- Thickness=15mm at centre.
- Chord at centre=115mm.
- Weight (with base plate)=1960g

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:20 am

I installed the long awaited quick release pin yesterday, which is hellish expensive for such a small bit of kit, although the presentation box it comes in is worthy of a rolex watch, it takes a little bit of setting up, best to do this at home as some bits are easily dropped as you assemble the parts, but once assembled that's it, just one screw needs removing to pop the mast out of the plate which remains fixed to the board,
warning! anyone like me who tries to ignore reading set up guides will be well advised to read the set up instructions, its not hard to do, but get it wrong and you will regret it, its so important to get the initial set up right, and keep hold of all the little spare parts that you get.
its easy to do, but its also a brand new strange looking bit of kit that needs care installing, and not ripping open on a sandy beach with wet hands.

The provided kit is just for one mast and stays fixed to that mast, nothing is added to the mast plate, so yes if you have 2 masts and want both to work with the quick release pin then at the moment you need to buy 2 complete kits, maybe the price will be reduced by offering the little lock down bar as a separate item as that is all that's needed once you have the main pin part,
is it needed? well if you have to break down all your kit to fit in your car then it will be very helpful in speeding up set up and pack down, a lot!
it is fast and easy. and instead of having all the old mast track screws and nuts (8 of them) to keep safe then you only have one to keep safe.
the big downside is the price.
even I have only one kit, but i will most likely buy another if i can find the cash down the back of the sofa.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
dave1986 (Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 pm

Foil wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:20 am
I installed the long awaited quick release pin yesterday, which is hellish expensive for such a small bit of kit, although the presentation box it comes in is worthy of a rolex watch, it takes a little bit of setting up, best to do this at home as some bits are easily dropped as you assemble the parts, but once assembled that's it, just one screw needs removing to pop the mast out of the plate which remains fixed to the board,
warning! anyone like me who tries to ignore reading set up guides will be well advised to read the set up instructions, its not hard to do, but get it wrong and you will regret it, its so important to get the initial set up right, and keep hold of all the little spare parts that you get.
its easy to do, but its also a brand new strange looking bit of kit that needs care installing, and not ripping open on a sandy beach with wet hands.

The provided kit is just for one mast and stays fixed to that mast, nothing is added to the mast plate, so yes if you have 2 masts and want both to work with the quick release pin then at the moment you need to buy 2 complete kits, maybe the price will be reduced by offering the little lock down bar as a separate item as that is all that's needed once you have the main pin part,
is it needed? well if you have to break down all your kit to fit in your car then it will be very helpful in speeding up set up and pack down, a lot!
it is fast and easy. and instead of having all the old mast track screws and nuts (8 of them) to keep safe then you only have one to keep safe.
the big downside is the price.
even I have only one kit, but i will most likely buy another if i can find the cash down the back of the sofa.
So you leave the alloy plate attached to the board. That plate has a heap of cavities under it holding salt water, which gradually leak in your car. And after getting home you have to pull it off to rinse it. Doesn’t sound any faster than the old system, just more maintenance.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:00 am

airsail wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 pm
So you leave the alloy plate attached to the board. That plate has a heap of cavities under it holding salt water, which gradually leak in your car. And after getting home you have to pull it off to rinse it. Doesn’t sound any faster than the old system, just more maintenance.
[/quote]

right to flag up the possibility but in fact Wrong,
you take off the mast by removing one short 10mm pin, this of course leaves a massive mast socket in the base plate along with the 2 x10mm holes where the pin was sitting, any "trapped' water water is free to leave, but due to fact there are channels for any water to escape it left anyways on the way back to the beach,as for rinsing with fresh water its a good idea to rinse all parts at the de rig area, i always take a couple of 2ltr bottles of clean tap water to clean all parts including wings and bar and harness,
your remarks are a valid concern or would be if there was any chance of trapped sea water wetting your car, but due to the channels and the fact when the mast is removed that the very big open mast socket gap is exposed giving a good opportunity to rinse out with fresh water,
which in my book is a better option to keep things clean at the de rig area before drying, placing in soft covers and then placing in the car, all sensible stuff in my book.
more maintenance is a fact if owning the kraken system,
do you need to buy the system, NO
would I swap back to the old system?
not a chance!!!!

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:47 am

If you have one foil but 2 boards, do you need 2 plates and 2 QR kits or 2 plates and 1 QR kit is enough ?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:59 pm

SparD wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:47 am
If you have one foil but 2 boards, do you need 2 plates and 2 QR kits or 2 plates and 1 QR kit is enough ?
I did wonder that myself, but now I am the owner of 2 boards and now 2 kraken base plates, one fixed to each board, I can confirm you only need one QR kit, as the pin is removable and swaps over to the 2nd boards base plate, and the QR bar that you get in the kit becomes a fixed part of the mast top section, and is left in place, no need to ever remove, however if you want to use different length masts then it may be best to buy another QR kit to use the special lock down bar on the 2nd mast.
I am hoping the bar part of the kit becomes available without the pin, if not then a 2nd kit may be best to enable the quick release system to be used.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:14 am

nearing 3 months now using the kraken mast set up, 3-4 days a week, high winds low wind, flat water,small waves,sizable waves, mostly on the 103k mast, i swapped my 93k mast for another103k
I now leave the base plate on the board just fixed there, and now just remove the quick release pin and to save dropping it or loosing it I immediately screw it back in from the other side even before i lift the board clear,
the quick release pin is a must have to enjoy the big benefits it offers, i did buy two complete sets for both my boards, and leave the base plates on their boards,
my tip is to ditch the QR pin allen key that's sent with the kit and use a mini palm size ratchet to do up and undo the single release pin, the key is just a pain to use as the board gets in the way when trying to spin the bolt out leading to dropping it,
just to confirm you do notice the uplift in weight, but for me, who boosts and lands hard at times and loves to push hard in the waves then the unbreakable uber stiff and faster kraken mast is just perfect, just remember that you need to wash the base plate out with fresh water before placing back in the car, or the salt water will eventually spoil it. my quick release pin was not available for 6 weeks and the salt water did spoil my first base plate a little as I did leave it on the mast for 6 weeks, not ideal as i found out.
the new kraken fuses with the zinc anode are still not showing any signs of white specs or corrosion developing around the edges, the curse of all the older standard fuses which end up being destroyed by sea water.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:37 pm

Foil wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:14 am
............. just remember that you need to wash the base plate out with fresh water before placing back in the car, or the salt water will eventually spoil it. my quick release pin was not available for 6 weeks and the salt water did spoil my first base plate a little as I did leave it on the mast for 6 weeks, not ideal as i found out.
@Foil What did the base plate look like after it was left with the mast attached for 6 weeks? Any photos?

For me any extra risk of corrosion this is a big disadvantage to Kraken because I leave my foils fully assembled (but with all parts well greased) for months at a time.
These users thanked the author dave1986 for the post:
airsail (Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”